IGNORED

Wisdom of Sirach, Ecclesiasticus, and The Orthodox Study Bible. How do I join the Orthodox Christian Forums without joining the Episcopal church.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  432
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

Wisdom of Sirach, Ecclesiasticus, and The Orthodox Study Bible. How do I join the Orthodox Christian Forums without joining the Episcopal church.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

What are you talking about? This is 1 of the 7 wisdom books you find in a catholic bible ( part of apocrypha)....,Dueteronical ethical teaching)join any catholic forum & they'll be happy to talk about it.....

Also,removed from Jewish canon & why "we" do not read it as part of Gods Word" the Bible "

Edited by kwikphilly
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The Orthodox Church is not the Episcopal Church, although they both share the commonality that neither of them are the Roman Catholic Church.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

On 7/1/2022 at 1:13 PM, believeinHim said:

I've already told you about the errors and false teachings in the book of Sirach. It's not scripture.

I shared with you also about how to join that forum.  Remember, I told you that under religon - you put Christian.  And under Diocese-  you put whatever demonimation you associate with, Baptist, Methodist, whatever.

You do not have to join the Episcopol church to join that message board.

• Praise God! 1

2 hours ago, xepiscopal said:

The Orthodox Church is not the Episcopal Church, although they both share the commonality that neither of them are the Roman Catholic Church.

Yes, Neither are the Roman Catholic Church. I did not know the Orthodox Church is not the Episcopal Church. However, I also do not know much of the differences between Protestant, and Orthodox. They seem, Very, Similar, To me. Blessings.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the biggest difference w/ Protestant denominatiuons is the veneration of Saints and also in the emphasis on Tradition and on Patristics in the Orthodox.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,249
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

1 hour ago, xepiscopal said:

It seems to me (and I could be wrong) that the biggest difference w/ Protestant denominatiuons is the veneration of Saints and also in the emphasis on Tradition and on Patristics in the Orthodox.

Patristics is a big one. The Vatican indulges in patristics as well, which is something both share in common. The way we discuss the scriptures here on Worthy (just an example) is taboo among many Orthodox. Anyone offering their take on a passage would be frowned upon if they weren't otherwise faithfully rendering commentary by an approved source. This isn't universal by any means, but it's pretty commonplace.

I would say liturgy is another notable difference. Many protestant denominations shed the trappings of traditional forms of worship over the past 100 years or so.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

On 7/5/2022 at 11:24 AM, kwikphilly said:

Also,removed from Jewish canon & why "we" do not read it as part of Gods Word" the Bible "

Nope!  Hebrew fragments of Sirach have been found among the Dead Sea scrolls; so the Essenes seem to have considered Sirach Scripture just as the Jews outside Palestine did.  More importantly, Jesus respected Sirach so much that he used it to develop the Lord's Prayer (Sirach 28:2-4).  Sirach 38 contains vital teaching that evangelicals need to hear, that when you are seriously ill, you need to both pray for a healing touch and consult your physician.  God can use both to facilitate healing.  It also teaches that God invested many plants with healing powers.  

Sirach also wisely implies that that command, "Love your neighbor as yourself" is bad advice for a masochist:

"My child, respect yourself with humility and have the self-esteem you deserve.  Who will acquit those who condemn themselves?  And who will respect those who don't respect themselves (10:28-29)?"

"If one is mean to himself, to whom will he be generous (14:5)?"

Thus, the capacity for genuine love of others requires healthy self-esteem.

• This is Worthy 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am not an Orthodox Christian. I was not born, Nor was raised in Eastern Orthodoxy. 

But, I am a Christian, And I am a Christian with a Serious Mental Illness. The two are not separate. I am a Western, United States, Christian, With a Serious Brain Illness. They can not be separated. Blessings.