IGNORED

How did you learn to "turn the other cheek" and avoid returning unkindness with unkindness?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

5 minutes ago, OneLight said:

I've never met anyone who didn't go through a "re-education" process of some sorts when they accepted Jesus.  The only difference I've noticed is what we are being re-educated from.  While we all do share some of the same "old ways", each of us had one or more particular issues that was a real thorn in our side. 

Saying that, in order to change we need to accept that we have these quirks that are from the flesh, part of the old man that needs to die.  The only way to address them is to bring them out into the open so we can deal with them.  These trials and tribulations are where our lessons are learnt.  It's a life long process in some cases, and in other, a pretty quick process.  We don't get to choose which is which, we just need to continue to work through them until we find victory in them.  Just know you are not alone.

Indeed!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.87
  • Days Won:  1

I am working on changing my mindset to be humble and to tolerate mistreatment without becoming angry and vindictive.  I need to pray on that too. Thank you all for your generous feedback. 

• Loved it! 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,224
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

I pray.. I found the more I pray the closer He is. The more I turn to Him keep my eyes on Him and allow Him to lead guide me by the sweet holy Spirit. I pray in the spirit Luke 11:13. Prayer. I can't do it I need Him in this walk every moment of ever day. If I try to do anything He steps back and will not say a word. Its a free choice. KNOW when in those moments you say JESUS help me.. He is there an will ALWAYS help. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  907
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,650
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Wait for the second offense.

I heard a boxer that became a Christian humbled himself to turn the other cheek.

But when it happened again, he pummeled the individual saying "the commandment was to turn the other cheek... once. After that we have no further instructions."

LOL

What makes the most sense of the Sermon on the Mount is that unlike the traditional interpretation that Christians are supposed to somehow be better able to obey the Laws of Moses than anyone else had been...

Jesus was rather putting the teeth back into the Law of Moses (which is still in effect and ever shall be) under the Old Covenant (which was in effect until Jesus died on the cross: see  Hebrews 9:16-17).

The Jerusalem council (Acts 15) it was discussed that the legalism of the Old Covenant Law of Moses was not intended for New Covenant believers:

Acts 15:10–11 (KJV)
10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

The purpose of the Law was to drive mankind to Grace by the futility of trying to keep the Law (which mankind is incapable of).

Galatians 3:24–25 (KJV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Again, Hebrews 9:16-17 shows us that the actual division between Old and New Testaments in scripture is not between Malachi 4 and Matthew 1

but on the cross of Christ when he died (Matthew 27:50 / Mark 15:37 / Luke 23:46 / John 19:30).

Everything before that event is Old Testament / Old Covenant. The Gospels are bridges to the New Testament transitioning from the Old Testament.

So Jesus was teaching about the Law in the Sermon on the Mount.

Forgiving everyone lest your Heavenly Father will not forgive you Matthew 6:15 / Mark 11:26)... Old Covenant.

New Covenant: everyone who believes in the Son of God is forgiven of all sin (John 3:18 / John 16:27).

Old Covenant, gouge out your eyes or cut off your hands to avoid hell fire (Matthew 5:29-30).

Ephesians 2:8–10 (KJV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Jesus said his yoke is easy his burden is light and that we are to find rest for our weary souls in him. Piling up legalism expectation on believers is not only unbiblical, it goes against everything Jesus taught about the New Covenant.

• Loved it! 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.87
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

Wait for the second offense.

I heard a boxer that became a Christian humbled himself to turn the other cheek.

But when it happened again, he pummeled the individual saying "the commandment was to turn the other cheek... once. After that we have no further instructions."

LOL

What makes the most sense of the Sermon on the Mount is that unlike the traditional interpretation that Christians are supposed to somehow be better able to obey the Laws of Moses than anyone else had been...

Jesus was rather putting the teeth back into the Law of Moses (which is still in effect and ever shall be) under the Old Covenant (which was in effect until Jesus died on the cross: see  Hebrews 9:16-17).

The Jerusalem council (Acts 15) it was discussed that the legalism of the Old Covenant Law of Moses was not intended for New Covenant believers:

Acts 15:10–11 (KJV)
10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

The purpose of the Law was to drive mankind to Grace by the futility of trying to keep the Law (which mankind is incapable of).

Galatians 3:24–25 (KJV)
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Again, Hebrews 9:16-17 shows us that the actual division between Old and New Testaments in scripture is not between Malachi 4 and Matthew 1

but on the cross of Christ when he died (Matthew 27:50 / Mark 15:37 / Luke 23:46 / John 19:30).

Everything before that event is Old Testament / Old Covenant. The Gospels are bridges to the New Testament transitioning from the Old Testament.

So Jesus was teaching about the Law in the Sermon on the Mount.

Forgiving everyone lest your Heavenly Father will not forgive you Matthew 6:15 / Mark 11:26)... Old Covenant.

New Covenant: everyone who believes in the Son of God is forgiven of all sin (John 3:18 / John 16:27).

Old Covenant, gouge out your eyes or cut off your hands to avoid hell fire (Matthew 5:29-30).

Ephesians 2:8–10 (KJV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Jesus said his yoke is easy his burden is light and that we are to find rest for our weary souls in him. Piling up legalism expectation on believers is not only unbiblical, it goes against everything Jesus taught about the New Covenant.

Thank you for your ministry.  

• Praise God! 1