IGNORED

Who managed to quit smoking? or is trying to quit?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

On 5/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, AlsoBroken said:

I have smoked since the age of 19  

@AlsoBroken Well, understandably your system still feels it needs some inhales. Don't beat yourself up, anyway...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.66
  • Days Won:  1

37 minutes ago, farouk said:

I don't think Christians should guilt manipulate others about smoking.

We should not "manipulate" others for our own purposes by any means or for any reason, we should call on God to know what we should do and how we should do it while recognizing that God has a special and unique will for each of us and it is up to each of us to seek that out and do it for ourselves.

Encouraging others over quitting and helping them if they are trying without placing guilt on them if they don't -or if they fail- is the way we should proceed.  This is how God treats us, and it is how we should treat others.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I quit smoking two years after the Lord delivered me from substance abuse. I was not yet saved and quit for health reasons. I was playing a lot of softball and couldn't play to my potential if I kept smoking. I was able to quit the first time I tried using Nicorette gum. I also think we need to tread lightly if we feel the need to rebuke or chastise a smoker. Pray for them and if it comes up, share how you were able to overcome it. 

Edited by Raised2newlife
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Raised2newlife said:

I quit smoking two years after the Lord delivered me from substance abuse. I was not yet saved and quit for health reasons. I was playing a lot of softball and couldn't play to my potential if I kept smoking. I was able to quit the first time I tried using Nicorette gum. I also think we need to tread lightly if we feel the need to rebuke or chastise a smoker. Pray for them and if it comes up, share how you were able to overcome it. 

@Raised2newlife Great post! hoping your wife manages to stay smoke-free also (but yes you're right that we shouldn't give smokers a hard time).

On 5/11/2023 at 10:00 AM, FJK said:

We should not "manipulate" others for our own purposes by any means or for any reason, we should call on God to know what we should do and how we should do it while recognizing that God has a special and unique will for each of us and it is up to each of us to seek that out and do it for ourselves.

Encouraging others over quitting and helping them if they are trying without placing guilt on them if they don't -or if they fail- is the way we should proceed.  This is how God treats us, and it is how we should treat others.

@FJK Indeed so..............

We only have to look within to see how frail is the human heart.

More comments/ experiences, ppl?

On 4/5/2023 at 12:05 PM, Anne2 said:

I have prayed about it and the Lord did not take it away.

@Anne2 In the end, whether you as a smoking woman were ever to quit - or else to be 'on pause' with cigarettes for a while - would really be no one else's business.

The 'more of a moralizer than thou' attitudes that one sometimes sees, are not helpful, imho.

FYI @teddyv thread............

@DeighAnn FYI.................. I think it was you that said you would stop and start again about once every 2 years or so......but maybe this time you reckon you have really quit for good, do you think?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/20/2023 at 3:02 PM, believeinHim said:

I have never smoked, Or done any drugs, And I have never really drank alcohol, Either. I've had sips of my parents, I've had some sips as an adult, But alcohol never agreed with me, And it still doesn't. It burns when it goes down, And I don't like it even a little bit of it. It's just gross, In all honesty.

I have never smoked, Never done drugs, And I don't drink, either, However I do have to take a cocktail of medications, In which I was afraid to try because I thought they were trying to drug me. I thought they were trying to put drugs in my system. It took me almost 12 years to finally realize that my medication, Is not street drugs. Medications are not street drugs. It took me almost 12 years to realize that. 

I'd rather not have this in my history of threads I responded to, Honestly, But I wanted to share. Loll. Drugs and cigarettes and alcohol have never agreed with me. Not even tempted. 

Red wine, Or using wine or liquor in cooking in where they cook out all of the alcohol part of it I don't even do, But that is the only way, It would have to be all cooked out of it I don't even like red wine, I like the benefits of red wine, But I don't like the alchohol part of red wine. I drink grape juice, Or get purple grapes from the grocery store. Loll. 

My youngest son was and is that way. Good for you. Cigarettes are a yukky thing to be hooked on. Expensive too. I wish I never started. But, I came of age when it seemed everyone smoked.