• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,092
  • Content Per Day:  2.58
  • Days Won:  5

4 hours ago, The_Patriot21 said:

That's a true statement, however, I find people also try very hard to put their own beliefs into scripture. You said, that you believe God doesn't want us to have weapons. You made that claim, it is your belief.

Which is why I asked you to bring forth scripture. The Bible is our window into what God wants of us. And you told us to look at scripture. However, the thing is scripture has been presented to you, in droves that show that your belief, that christians cant own weapons, is incorrect.

While you have refused to list a single scripture to back up your beliefs. So the question I have for you, is your belief based in scripture, or is your belief based on your personal perception of who Jesus is? 

Or is it influenced by the world's views on weapons, and your trying to justify it somehow?

Scripture is our guidebook to life, and as it's God's holy word, as such it is the final authority. You are correct in saying some people pick and choose to fulfill their own agenda, but that doesn't mean that is what we are doing. And so far you have not demonstrated that our beliefs are wrong, the only thing you have shared are your own personal beliefs based upon your opinions, not the Bibles.

I can only say that I agree with "Marathoner" in this matter. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I dont see protection of ones life the words below

Synonyms of militancy

: the quality or state of being militant

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dist-cross-dungarees/2023-02-15_16-26-14-0c95b8b4/images/svg/content-section-header-border.svg

Synonyms

• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.62
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/31/2023 at 4:08 PM, PrayerWife said:

I serve The Prince of Peace, and I can't figure out why some think they can have the Bible in one hand, and a weapon in the other...is The Lord really their Sar Shalom/Prince of Peace?

This is probably a "hot potato" topic, but I honestly wonder. 😊

The same way that the Israelites in the Old Testament were. Because not all violence or weapons are wrong. There is such a thing as righteous warfare.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

4 hours ago, PrayerWife said:

I can only say that I agree with "Marathoner" in this matter. 

So you can only say you have absolutely zero scriptural backing for your view but you expect everyone to agree with you regardless?

I mean if you don't want own weapons due to your beliefs, that's fine. But if your going to make claims like it's a sin and God doesn't want any Christian to own weapons, then you need to be able to back it up with scripture.

If you can't do that, then your beliefs are just that-your personal beliefs, not God's view on the matter.

Scripture is the final authority in all matters, If your view doesn't match scripture then it's not an authoritative view, it's a personal opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,092
  • Content Per Day:  2.58

2 hours ago, The_Patriot21 said:

So you can only say you have absolutely zero scriptural backing for your view but you expect everyone to agree with you regardless?

I mean if you don't want own weapons due to your beliefs, that's fine. But if your going to make claims like it's a sin and God doesn't want any Christian to own weapons, then you need to be able to back it up with scripture.

If you can't do that, then your beliefs are just that-your personal beliefs, not God's view on the matter.

Scripture is the final authority in all matters, If your view doesn't match scripture then it's not an authoritative view, it's a personal opinion.

I have many verses I could refer to and share with you if I was a male, but as a woman I will not do so.....I agree with "Marathoner" and he has shared from The Word with us, hasn't he? 

However I sense that you have a problem to accept that someone actually don't want to bear weapons, and that they find it to be unbiblical? 

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2023 at 10:54 PM, PrayerWife said:

I have many verses I could refer to and share with you if I was a male, but as a woman I will not do so.....I agree with "Marathoner" and he has shared from The Word with us, hasn't he? 

However I sense that you have a problem to accept that someone actually don't want to bear weapons, and that they find it to be unbiblical? 

Lol because somehow being a woman you can't present scripture? 

No, that's a cop out, an excuse. Marathoner didn't present a single scripture saying we can't own weapons, and you have refused. My guess is because you can't find any.

And no, I don't have a problem with those who don't want to bear weapons. That's fine, that's your choice. What I have a problem with, is people claiming scripture says something it doesn't in order to further their own agenda. Doesn't matter what that agenda is.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,431
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

16 hours ago, The_Patriot21 said:

A point of clarification here . . . I too believe scripture is the final written authority.  But under the new covenant we are to take things not according to the letter (which kills) but according to Spirit (which gives life).  2 Cor 3:6

So I know the verses that say I can possess a weapon and defend myself, but also the verses that say to turn the other cheek.  The question is this: What is the Lord Spirit telling me to do in that moment?  Therefore I could have a gun in my hand, but the Lord/Anointing may tell me to not to use it or to do something else . . .

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

A point of clarification here . . . I too believe scripture is the final written authority.  But under the new covenant we are to take things not according to the letter (which kills) but according to Spirit (which gives life).  2 Cor 3:6

So I know the verses that say I can possess a weapon and defend myself, but also the verses that say to turn the other cheek.  The question is this: What is the Lord Spirit telling me to do in that moment?  Therefore I could have a gun in my hand, but the Lord/Anointing may tell me to not to use it or to do something else . . .

It's actually a little bit of both to a degree. Even the apostle Paul stated that the law wasn't done away with, but was rather there to define what is-and what is not, sin.

But, you hit on a key point. Well, two actually. You are right, in that we are saved by grace and not of works, and unlike the people of the old testament we do have the holy spirit to guide us.

The other point, which you brought up is time and place. I completely agree. My answer to whether a Christian can or cannot own a weapon is yes, they can, however, that doesn't mean they have carte blanche to use it for whatever and blow away anyone who looks at them wrong.

We look at Jesus in the garden, Peter had that sword because Jesus told him to have it. And Jesus won't order us to sin. So obviously, having the sword wasn't a sin. However Jesus did rebuke Peter for how he chose to use that sword.

The Bible outlines when a weapon can be used, and when it can't, and if we're in tune with the holy spirit there's likely times when we "can" but shouldn't.

One of my heroes was a missionary by Nate saint. Him and several other missionaries were trying to witness to this very violent tribe, and they had landed on a sandbar near their village to try and make contact. The natives attacked them. The group had two guns with them, and under the law they would have been within their right to defend themselves, it would not have been a sin according to the Bible.

But, they chose not to, and just stood by and allowed the natives to kill them. The natives had never seen someone with a gun not shoot back, and this opened the door for the missionaries wives to go in and lead the entire tribe to Christ.

Owning a weapon isn't good or evil, it's what you choose to do with it.

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  10,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

6 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Scripture is the measure by which we judge doctrine and according to the teaching of the Lord and His apostles, we are indeed to turn the other cheek. 

We are to bless those who persecute us...

We are to love our enemies...

We are to love our neighbor as ourselves, which is the royal law. 

Marathoner isn't required to explain himself to the contentious at any time, for the same are well aware of that scriptural testimony which instructs us not to strike those who strike us, returning evil in kind. It's rather telling that some who champion the promise of death by their hand, revealing that in which they place their trust --- steel --- are swift to quote verses and passages regarding Israel of the flesh, imposing meanings of this flesh upon that which is spiritually discerned, all to justify themselves.

The need to justify oneself reveals much indeed. Who justifies --- God, or man? If one is justified by man, then let man speak in defense of himself. As for us, the Lord alone justifies, and He is not slack concerning His promises. The measure by which we judge shall be returned to us by the Holy One.

Those who live by the sword, shall die by the sword (Matthew 26:52). 

Edited by Marathoner
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1