• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.14
  • Days Won:  3

On 7/16/2023 at 2:12 PM, WilliamL said:

The origin of beginning the day in the evening dates back to Genesis 1, where it is stated, "And the evening and the morning: day one." 

The Jewish Calendar says we are in the year 5783, is that a date from Creation? Or a different event? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

30 minutes ago, Solus Christus said:

The Jewish Calendar says we are in the year 5783, is that a date from Creation? Or a different event? 

That calendar was formulated by a Jewish rabbi hundreds of years after the time of Christ. He was not well versed in history, especially with the period from the destruction of the temple by Nebuchadnezzar to the later such destruction by the Romans; which period he underestimated by around 200 years. The history of the intertestament era was very poorly understood in his time. 

This is an example of Jewish tradition/rabbinical dogma stubbornly refusing to change in the light of better evidence.

• Brilliant! 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  316
  • Content Per Day:  1.14
  • Days Won:  3

Was the Menorah in the Temple several candle stands or one with seven lamps connected as it now appears in reproductions? 

• 2 months later...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

Numbers 15:38-39 instructs us to make and wear tzitzi on the corners of our garments - to look at and remember all of His commands and to be set apart. The Pharisees of Yeshua's day sat in Moses' seat (teaching Torah) and one command would have been this one. Yeshua taught His disciples to do as the Pharisees said in regard to the teaching of Torah. However, the Pharisees were also well known for adding to Torah (in violation of Deuteronomy 4:2, 12:32...) and Yeshua told the disciples not to do as the Pharisees did who did these things in vain (Matthew 23:3-5). They wore long tassels so that they would be noticed.

Other than making sure that our hearts are not vain, I do not see any other retraction of this command.

Edited by NickyLouse

• Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  268
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/2004

Commands prohibiting eating unclean animals are straight forward to me and I see no reversal to this. Therefore, animals such as camels and rabbits that do not have a divided hoof; pig that does not chew cud; shrimp and crab that do not have fins; catfish that does not have scales; listed birds such as eagles, vultures, owls, hawks, ravens, ostriches or storks; bats (for the obvious reason- gross); winged insects that walk on four legs unless they jump; rodents, certain lizards (I'll just say ALL lizards); swarming things; and many-legged things; are unclean and should not be eaten.

I think this is simply to be set apart. For Leviticus 11:45 says to be holy as He is holy. I do not think it has to do with these animals eating decaying or rotten things as some people have suggested.

Now, I realize that Pharisees who followed the rabbinic law (Talmud) had a habit of misunderstanding God. They taught that Goyim (people of other nations) were unclean and we should not associate with them either. Numbers 15:15 clearly states that there is no difference. The vision given Peter in Acts 10-11 also bears that out. Incidentally, in His vision, God shows Peter the difference between some thing that He calls unclean versus some one He never called unclean because of that person's heritage.