IGNORED

'Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.'

farouk

Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do they work? Christian tattoos to start a conversation as the Lord leads.

• Yes, they do work; they are effective
    • No, they don't work; they are not effective
    • Don't know
    • I have my thoughts but would prefer not to express them

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2023 at 08:28 PM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

In part it was rebellion against his father a very strict Baptist pastor

@Neighbor

Well....in the case of some ppl it might be rebellion of course.

But also for so many, e.g., for some generations now in some areas such as the Bible Belt, having it done has become seemingly a benign personal or family custom that they simply expect to do in a faith based design.

If this makes sense?

FYI:

..in the rural Bible Belt. Just about every person in three of the four sides of my family (bio parents, step parents) have multiple tattoos. Most of them are biblical (crosses between the shoulder blades are the most common ones) getting tattoos when your old enough is pretty much expected in the family.

source: reddit

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

On 5/11/2023 at 7:30 PM, Tristen said:

- It is possible that God does not want a particular person to have a tattoo. So then, the individual desiring a tattoo needs to be sensitive to God's will for them. Note: it is also conceivable that God might instruct someone to get a tattoo - and they should do so, even if that is not their own desire.

@Tristen

....'instruct' in the sense of the person feeling guided to have it done, I guess.

One earnest young Christian man might strongly feel - for reasons of conscience - that he should not go to the tattoo parlor.

Another equally earnest Christian young man may feel strongly motivated to have a Bible verse or ref. injected into his dermis, almost like an ink complement to the stud that already may be in his ear(s), for example.

One Christian young woman from a strict and even straight-laced family might never have the thought to have it done.

Another Christian young woman might not be naturally inclined to have it done but the strong conviction that the sheer scope and opportunity for testimony might embolden her to go to the tattoo parlor for a Bible verse to be inked in.

In all cases. Romans 14 may apply, I think......

Thanks to all who voted so far in the poll.

NB: If you have not yet voted in the poll, please vote now.

FHII said:

it makes a statement of freedom in Christ. .. We got a lot of folks inked in our Church. Myself, the Pastor, his daughter and grand daughter included. Now, even my wife

source: christianityboard dot com

@Neighbor

So you see from the quotes from the Bible Belt in the previous post to you, above, while in the case of your friend the preacher's son there might have been an element of rebellion, yet for so many ppl it's regarded instead as an opportunity to express something faith based.

I know your dw doesn't particularly like it (I think you said...?) but for so many ppl from a faith based perspective going to the tattoo parlor for something tasteful to be pumped in is regarded as something - without a lot of baggage - as a straightforward opportunity without particular inhibitions.

On 9/14/2023 at 2:28 PM, NConly said:

tats are enough for me.

@NConly

Don't you wish sometimes that more Christians worked as tattoo artists?

Paula Castle took up tattooing after being made redundant from a sales job ..."I really did not want to do it. ...But I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so I said ‘yes’ and really pushed myself and I’ve not stopped...About 97% of my clients are female and that is universal across the board."

James McCarthy, Mirror dot co dot uk

• Thumbs Up 1

Except for tattoos, as long as they are not for the dead, I am good ...I think because THIS body just goes back to the dust and we move forward in the spiritual one that it is ok.

@DeighAnn

Anyway it seems like so often in areas like the Bible Belt you just do it because it seems so compelling.

FYI:

..in the rural Bible Belt. Just about every person in three of the four sides of my family (bio parents, step parents) have multiple tattoos. Most of them are biblical (crosses between the shoulder blades are the most common ones) getting tattoos when your old enough is pretty much expected in the family.

HI @Know Jah FYI.............thread & poll started; feel free to vote and comment.

cc @Hosanna

Edited by farouk

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

God's word is very clear on this issue we are not to make permanent markings or etchings upon our body as stated in Leviticus 19:28 You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD.

our Heavenly father asks of us to undergo sanctification and be set apart from the majority those upon the broad road to destruction. In the world but not of it. We allow ourselves to be completely saturated by God's mind and thinking by the washing of the water of His word upon our thinking our mind heart body soul and spirit. Romans 12 comes to mind to not be conformed to the world but be conformed to the good well pleasing perfect will of God in all areas of our existence as we walk out our sacrificial crucified life in being dead to self but alive in the spirit. 

Edited by Hosanna

2 minutes ago, Hosanna said:

God's word is very clear on this issue we are not to make permanent markings or etchings upon our body as stated in Leviticus 19:28 You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the LORD.

our Heavenly father asks of us to undergo sanctification and be set apart from the majority those upon the broad road to destruction. In the world but not of it. We allow ourselves to be completely saturated by God's mind and thinking by the washing of the water of His word upon our thinking our mind heart body soul and spirit. Romans 12 comes to mind to not be conformed to the world but be conformed to the good well pleasing perfect will of God in all areas of our existence as we walk out our sacrificial crucified life in being dead to self but alive in the spirit. 

Thanks, @Hosanna , for your comment. Those are great principles there from Romans 12, etc., about sanctification. In Leviticus the context is often seen as pagan necromancy. Also in the adjacent verse is seems to say about not trimming the corners of beards; do preachers shave? if they do, they are maybe acknowledging that they are New Testament Christians under grace engaging in witness, rather than Old Testament Jews in the land under the law.

• Thanks 1

PS: @Hosanna You're in the UK, right? Maybe it's s bit different over there but in North America it's a very widespread custom among professing Christians.

FYI:

Have you ever met a youth pastor at a non denominational church? Tattoos are practically a requirement for the job

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of the wording of John 3.16 inked onto her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have resulted also because of her willingness to go to the tattoo parlor - which for her must have been a rather joyful experience with the expectation of witness conversations which would likely come about. She seemed modest and a bit shy, even, but also there seemed to be that inner conviction about it.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them as a witness tool, anyway.

(But I realize you are in the UK, where customs might be a bit different.)

• Thanks 1