Arial

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  334
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

John 1:16-17 For from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 5:10 And the God of all grace who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

What does God's grace give after our salvation? To put it in a nutshell, we need His grace for everything, and we need His mercy in all things. The primary purpose of grace, as I have come to see it, is our righteousness in the process of sanctification.

It is true that we are judicially declared righteous in Christ. That is the meaning of justification. We can no longer be condemned by the unrighteous things we do. And thank God for that! If it were not so we would still be headed for hell by our own deeds and thoughts, and attitudes.

So His grace not only redeems through Christ but it sanctifies us in the sense of increasing actual righteousness in us. It makes it possible for us to pursue righteousness without the certain condemnation of our sins hanging like an ax over our heads. It gives us a desire for the righteousness that is accredited to us. And not by law keeping but by a pursuit of our God. Our submitting ourselves to Him. For it was unrighteousness that was the first issue that separated us from God, and it is righteousness that is the goal, both for man and the corrupted world. It is about the restoration of righteousness to God's kingdom and in His people. And it is not merely an outward display of righteousness, but the entire inner man, our thoughts, and motives examined before God and acknowledged to ourselves and before Him. And given to Him for purifying in us.

For this we need grace from Him. We need His grace to even desire righteousness, even to desire to pursue it, for we are indeed strangers and sojourners in this fallen world and still live with our fallen nature. If we have not, it is because we ask not. "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled."

This then may be the grace we most need. To hunger and thirst for righteousness, and our flesh will resist it if not at every turn, at some times and in some ways. But it will resist it. We need to learn when we need that grace and whatever we need it for, and go before the very Fountain of Grace who liberally gives good things to His children, and ask for it. I believe this asking is crucial, not for His benefit, and not as a withholding by Him, but so we know where our spiritual equipping and growth comes from and that we never forget it. So we know, as Adam and Eve knew  as we were all created to know, that it is in Him that we live, and move, and have our being. Back to what was lost in the fall.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

What a great meditation! :)

I remember a hymn which says....."All of grace, yes, grace surpassing...."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

Here it is:

"All of grace, yes, grace surpassing,
Such a portion to bestow;
But the love all knowledge passing,
Grace has called us now to know;
Love that bore the stripes and sorrow,
Love that suffered on the tree,
Love that shares the bright to-morrow
With the loved ones, you and me." (T H Reynolds)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.33
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.96
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

1 hour ago, Arial said:

What does God's grace give after our salvation? To put it in a nutshell, we need His grace for everything, and we need His mercy in all things. The primary purpose of grace, as I have come to see it, is our righteousness in the process of sanctification.

To grow in Christ, we must grow in grace:

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

More grace, by the power of the Holy Spirit

James 4:

5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain,

The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously?

6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:

God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

All grace, for all sufficiency in every good work.

2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you,

that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have

an abundance for every good work.

Doxology

1 Peter 5:

10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory

by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish,

strengthen, and settle you. 

11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

1 hour ago, Mr. M said:

To grow in Christ, we must grow in grace:

2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

Yes it is grace that makes us grow. And that comes in the knowledge of our Lord.

So often we unknowingly fall into a pattern of thinking our righteousness must come from us. And indeed we do have responsibility in it. In fact probably most of us begin that way, recognizing the obvious outwards sins and hating them, and setting about the business of being rid of them. It is that grace that brought us into Christ and His righteousness that makes this to be so. Grace that lets us see it.

And this grace never leaves us, is active in us even when we don't ask for it. Some unrighteousness is easier to let go of than others, some visible, some not, some a struggle, a fight we cannot seem to win. I think that it is in the latter that God is calling us to a deeper relationship with Him. To recognize, that no we cannot do it, we need grace for that. We need grace given for that. Or we need to learn the sufficiency of His grace to keep us  through it,for in that we learn of His strength.

Also I think that the longer we have been Christian's ---as soon as we think we have a handle of this sin thing, all those things that used to be temptation no longer hold the slightest appeal for us---He begins exposing all those hidden sins of attitude and motive. I.e. we now have no problem treating people nicely, speaking to them or about them with good Christian kindness, while inside we are seething with bitterness and anger at our wounded pride. So we speak in a humble sounding way while our thoughts are anything but humble. A very unpleasant place to be exposed to ourselves, but very necessary if we are to be sanctified in that area unto righteousness.

So we recognize just how poor and needy we still are. We recognize that nothing we ourselve do will change that in us. And we cry out for Him to give us that grace to walk in His paths for His glory. Not for ourselves. For His glory. His glory is what it is all about, top to bottom, inside and out. We can even come to a place where we say as David did and mean it, with God's glory in mind, and ask for Him to give us the grace that reveals our hidden sins.

Psalm 19

The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
    no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
    their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
    It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
    like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
It rises at one end of the heavens
    and makes its circuit to the other;
    nothing is deprived of its warmth.

The law of the Lord is perfect,
    refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
    making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right,
    giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
    giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is pure,
    enduring forever.
The decrees of the Lord are firm,
    and all of them are righteous.

They are more precious than gold,
    than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
    than honey from the honeycomb.
11 By them your servant is warned;
    in keeping them there is great reward.
12 But who can discern their own errors?
    Forgive my hidden faults.
13 Keep your servant also from willful sins;
    may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
    innocent of great transgression.

14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,

Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Edited by Arial

2 hours ago, farouk said:

Here it is:

"All of grace, yes, grace surpassing,
Such a portion to bestow;
But the love all knowledge passing,
Grace has called us now to know;
Love that bore the stripes and sorrow,
Love that suffered on the tree,
Love that shares the bright to-morrow
With the loved ones, you and me." (T H Reynolds)

Also from Amazing Grace

Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,

And grace my fears relieved.

How precious did that grace appear

The hours I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares

I have already come.

"Tis grace hath brought me safe this far.

And grace will lead me home.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

Grace is one of those words that is pregnant with meaning . . . so perhaps best of we define what it is.  Let me say this upfront, grace is definitely way more than just unmerited favor!  It also has to do with an ongoing supply.

1 hour ago, Vine Abider said:

Grace is one of those words that is pregnant with meaning . . . so perhaps best of we define what it is.  Let me say this upfront, grace is definitely way more than just unmerited favor!  It also has to do with an ongoing supply.

Grace is always unmerited otherwise it wouldn't be grace. And yes it has much more meaning when applied in the scriptures than favor. It would be very difficult to define without in some way lessening it. The scriptures and the grace of God must deepen it for us.

The best I can do is that grace is the power and love and purpose of the One who is all grace and owns all grace, supplying His children with what they need, to be conformed to Christ, to grow in Him. It is what He gives to sanctify and bless His people. It is our every need met (not our every want but our every need and He knows what that is far better than we do.) It is a fountain and living water. Christ is full of grace and truth.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Content Per Day:  6.18
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

16 hours ago, Arial said:

Grace is always unmerited otherwise it wouldn't be grace. And yes it has much more meaning when applied in the scriptures than favor. It would be very difficult to define without in some way lessening it. The scriptures and the grace of God must deepen it for us.

The best I can do is that grace is the power and love and purpose of the One who is all grace and owns all grace, supplying His children with what they need, to be conformed to Christ, to grow in Him. It is what He gives to sanctify and bless His people. It is our every need met (not our every want but our every need and He knows what that is far better than we do.) It is a fountain and living water. Christ is full of grace and truth.

AMEN!  Grace (my definition): His favored supply coming to us in Christ, satisfying all we need to live the Christian life.

He lives in us and is most able, and if we just let Him, He will do it!

• Thumbs Up 1