IGNORED

Which Version Bible ? Bibles not feeling right to me. Young's Literal Translation. Expensive, Discernment needed, Expensive to Purchase.

believeinHim

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,339
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  0

One of the Bibles I have is a Tim LaHaye Prophecy Study Bible KJV. It gives so much more information than any other I have seen.

$20.00 well worth it. it has Tables and Maps, commentary Articles Listed in front by page number on many subjects,Prophetic events yet to come and Concordance.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  5

4 minutes ago, farouk said:

I compared Romans 7 between the KJV and ESV and it seems that the ESV has changed the emphasis somewhat in ways not reflected by the original.

What parts exactly? Or what would one miss if they didn’t check KJV too?

Edited by Hopefully

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,558
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

3 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

What parts exactly? Or what would one miss if they didn’t check KJV too?

@Hopefully As I recall, it was to do with words indicating whether a woman was married or not; the King James follows the Greek closely; the ESV seemed to be more interpretive.

Just now, farouk said:

indicating whether a woman was married or not

Can you give more details? If I only read the ERV what exactly would I be missing?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  3,824
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Hopefully As I recall, it was to do with words indicating whether a woman was married or not; the King James follows the Greek closely; the ESV seemed to be more interpretive.

I don't get it.  They say the same thing......

Romans 7:2 [ERV] = "It’s like what the law says about marriage: A woman must stay married to her husband as long as he is alive. But if her husband dies, she is made free from the law of marriage."

Romans 7:2 [KJV] = "For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband."

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,339
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Can you give more details? If I only read the ERV what exactly would I be missing?

Sixteen Verses Omitted from Modern Bibles

Here are the sixteen whole verses:

1. Matthew 17:21: "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting."
  2. Matthew 18:11: "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."
  3. Matthew 23:14: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."
  4. Mark 7:16: "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."
  5. Mark 9:44: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
  6. Mark 9:46: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
  7. Mark 11:26: "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."
  8. Mark 15:28: "And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors."
  9. Luke 17:36: "Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."
  10. John 5:4: "For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had."
  11. Acts 8:37: "And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."
  12. Acts 15:34: "Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still."
  13. Acts 24:7: "But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,"
  14. Acts 28:29: "And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves."
  15. Romans 16:24: "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."
  16. I John 5:7: "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

@Hopefully

This is what I was referring to:

Romans 7.3, KJV: "So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man."

Romans 7.2, ESV: "Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress."

The section of Romans seems to be about divorce/remarriage. But in the ESV, it's unclear whether in fact the woman in question has actually remarried.

4 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I don't get it.  They say the same thing......

Romans 7:2 [ERV] = "It’s like what the law says about marriage: A woman must stay married to her husband as long as he is alive. But if her husband dies, she is made free from the law of marriage."

Romans 7:2 [KJV] = "For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband."

@Jayne I was thinking of verse 3 (see above).

1 minute ago, NConly said:

Sixteen Verses Omitted from Modern Bibles

Here are the sixteen whole verses:

1. Matthew 17:21: "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." / with this verse being missing I already know prayer and fasting is required to cast out demons.

2. Matthew 18:11: "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost." /“The Son of Man came to find lost people and save them.””
    ‭‭Luke‬ ‭19‬:‭10‬ ‭ERV‬‬

3. Matthew 23:14: "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation."/ “But they cheat widows and take their homes. Then they try to make themselves look good by saying long prayers. God will punish them very much.””
    ‭‭Mark‬ ‭12‬:‭40‬ ‭ERV‬‬

4. Mark 7:16: "If any man have ears to hear, let him hear." / Not found in ERV don’t see what one would miss here though 
  5. Mark 9:44: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."/“The worms that eat the people in hell never die. The fire there is never stopped.”
    ‭‭Mark‬ ‭9‬:‭48‬ ‭ERV‬‬

6. Mark 9:46: "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."/“The worms that eat the people in hell never die. The fire there is never stopped.”
    ‭‭Mark‬ ‭9‬:‭48‬ ‭ERV‬‬

7. Mark 11:26: "But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."/ “But if you don’t forgive others, then your Father in heaven will not forgive the wrongs you do.”
    ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6‬:‭15‬ ‭ERV‬‬

8. Mark 15:28: "And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors."/“They put a sign above his head with the charge against him written on it: “this is jesus, the king of the jews.” Two criminals were nailed to crosses beside Jesus—one on the right and the other on the left.”
    ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭27‬:‭37‬-‭38‬ ‭ERV‬‬

9. Luke 17:36: "Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left."/“There may be two women working together. One will be taken and the other will be left.””
    ‭‭Luke‬ ‭17‬:‭35‬ ‭ERV‬

stopping here.

23 minutes ago, farouk said:

The section of Romans seems to be about divorce/remarriage. But in the ESV, it's unclear whether in fact the woman in question has actually remarried

They look the same to me. I’m getting the same message as KJV when I read the esv you posted. 

Edited by Hopefully