IGNORED

Tattoo Removal ~ ~ Ethics of Tattoo Removal ~ ~ Is it more Painful than Tattoos, And is it something a Christian at heart should Prayerfully Consider ? ? ?

believeinHim

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  20

@farouk I think you are correct in that it seems to be a new "right of passage" into adulthood.  I would so much rather look at a nature based or spiritual tattoo than a demonic tattoo on the skin of my grandchildren.  

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  20

23 hours ago, farouk said:

In the 1970s, it might have been regarded as slightly edgy when teen girls - and their moms - received their double/triple ear piercings. But it rapidly became mainstream. (Your dw would doubtless confirm this.)

In the 60's and 70's the majority of ear piercings were done by the local doctors.  To my recollection, double piercings were not a big thing until the late 70's and into the 80's.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  6,670
  • Content Per Day:  12.17
  • Days Won:  31

25 minutes ago, debrakay said:

In the 60's and 70's the majority of ear piercings were done by the local doctors.  To my recollection, double piercings were not a big thing until the late 70's and into the 80's.

@debrakay You're right. It was late 70s.

Then it very rapidly became a very big thing.

22 hours ago, Scott Free said:

It is a concern that such displays will be seen as a substitute for real transformation of the inner-self. But, if someone is already renewed and simply wishes to display their faith for everyone to see, this hardly falls under the superficiality of legalism.

@Scott Free

I see the point you are making, thanks.

I saw this post; maybe similar sentiment to what you are saying:

Rita said:

I have never regretted my tattoo....the tattoo was not liberating-the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through.The tattoo in of itself was merely the means of expression and the reminder. ..there was thought, study, prayer and discernment involved-and I have always had complete peace about it. ..It’s on the inner part of my wrist and is not instantly visible, however it is a daily reminder of what the Lord has brought me through..

when the whole issue of a tattoo came up ... I spoke to other Christians, my pastor, I prayed and reflected on it for quite a few months..I did look through scripture and reflect on it before I got one-and it was also something I had to deal with as my sons reached 18 and got tattoos. ..With my son's it had nothing to do with my feelings as a Christian, it was more a reality check that they were making decisions that I had little control over.With me it was more an inspiration

I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me.. their mum, at the age of 50, ..getting a tattoo - ..I made the decision with a mature head on my shoulders.

..shortly after getting my tattoo done .. the dentist ask me about it - it opened up a conversation that would not have come about at all..it did serve as an encouragment at the time. I have had quite a few conversations at work when people notice it. christianityboard dot com
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,236
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

Another reason why I don't like tattoos, is because I like to see a man's arms. Lol. I like to see his arms, I like to see his muscles, even if he is a smaller guy, I like to see his arms. Lol. They do look better on men, but I like to see his arms. I don't want them covered up. Lol.

And same for women. I like to see a woman's arms. The feminine definition of her arms. Even on a bigger woman, I like to see a woman's arms. Lol.

On 1/4/2024 at 1:29 PM, debrakay said:

@farouk....it seems to be a new "right of passage" into adulthood.  I would so much rather look at a nature based or spiritual tattoo ...

@debrakay

I was particularly thinking of the perspective of Christian 18 year olds.

While 'feeling good' can be subjective, to many Christian young adults it does seem to make them feel good as new adults to go for the well planned experience in a tattoo parlor. Especially when ramming in a Scripture / faith based design is involved in the ink up.

(You mentioned your grandchildren; you probably have impressions as to whether it made them feel good.) An adult decision; no one else can decide for them, of course; I would not definitely advocate that an individual do it.

Edited by farouk

12 hours ago, believeinHim said:

I like to see his arms. Lol. They do look better on men, but I like to see his arms.

@believeinHim

You also said recently, "This man has tattoos, and I like him just the way he is, at least surface appearance". So it seems you don't really mind tattoos at all.

But you also said you don't like them on women's arms.

So be it, then, for you.

Tattoo parlor services have become greatly in demand, though, among women. Hugely so ( = potential for faith based designs). It's where the undeniable, strong trend is, as a subjective, personal preference; but it's there.

FYI:

Paula Castle took up tattooing after being made redundant from a sales job ..."I really did not want to do it. ...But I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so I said ‘yes’ and really pushed myself and I’ve not stopped...About 97% of my clients are female and that is universal across the board."

James McCarthy, Mirror dot co dot uk

35 minutes ago, farouk said:

@believeinHim

You also said recently, "This man has tattoos, and I like him just the way he is, at least surface appearance". So it seems you don't really mind tattoos at all.

But you also said you don't like them on women's arms.

So be it, then, for you.

Tattoo parlor services have become greatly in demand, though, among women. Hugely so ( = potential for faith based designs). It's where the undeniable, strong trend is, as a subjective, personal preference; but it's there.

FYI:

Paula Castle took up tattooing after being made redundant from a sales job ..."I really did not want to do it. ...But I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so I said ‘yes’ and really pushed myself and I’ve not stopped...About 97% of my clients are female and that is universal across the board."

James McCarthy, Mirror dot co dot uk

It's not his tattoos I like, @farouk, it's him. Ideally he wouldn't come with them. I'm not going to hold it against him that he has them now. I'll hold something else against him, but I don't know about that. :exclaimation::angel:

• Thanks 1

@NConly

Recently you commented: "When it comes to today's world we use tats as reminders ( among other things)".

A lot depends on whether a tattoo has meaning.

Some tattoos really don't have any specific meaning.

Some tattoos have a past (s0metimes unpleasant) - but not present - meaning.

Some do indeed have present meaning (e.g., faith based designs).

A compelling example about changing a tattoo with an unpleasant past meaning is a Christian woman with a tattoo of the name of a non-Christian ex-bf might be strongly driven to have it modified, e.g., from BILL to BIBLE, etc., and thus not be condemned to have a constant reminder of her pre-conversion days, but instead have something much more in keeping with her convictions. (One can thus imagine her as a Christian going joyfully into the tattoo parlor for such a new ink up.)