IGNORED

Ash Wednesday Mark ? A Seal of the Cross, Or a Mark you Shouldn't Take ? ? ?

believeinHim

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.52
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

12 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

It is the heart that matters. But... Should we not also concern ourselves with false characterizations? As well as hypocritical judgments? These are equally serious. We have acceptance, even to praise of keeping Rabbinic tradition. Which are just another form of "sacraments". People teaching on the passover and keeping it according to rabbinic traditions. But often without so much as a peep. But anything coming from Rome, condemned? Shouldn't we be careful and circumspect in this?

Hmmmm? I think it less than praise worthy to overly condemn Rome, for the danger of unneeded offense, as our brother of the Vine expressed. Bible students know the issues. I have noticed that many catholic associations and groups have changed some of where emphasis is placed and that is good. Regarding bible study and focus on Christ. It reminds me of back in the 70’s during the charasmatic days, when I knew many catholics converting…even among monks. There was true fellowship with many folks even with differing doctrines. Such can be the case when the Spirit is doing a work and Christ is front and center. Honestly, I miss the simplicity of the days and a young man who was less educated, but knew the Word and knew his Lord as a calf sprung from the stall.

There is a sermon in there.

:-)

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,444
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

18 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

It is the heart that matters. But... Should we not also concern ourselves with false characterizations? As well as hypocritical judgments? These are equally serious. We have acceptance, even to praise of keeping Rabbinic tradition. Which are just another form of "sacraments". People teaching on the passover and keeping it according to rabbinic traditions. But often without so much as a peep. But anything coming from Rome, condemned? Shouldn't we be careful and circumspect in this?

To me it's a matter of conscience.  I would not take the ash mark it myself.  But I wouldn't hammer someone with "the truth" about it, if it was a stumbling to them.  Not unless I had clear leading from the HS to speak to them . . . then there would be life, love and wisdom in my words to build up.

8 minutes ago, Alive said:

Honestly, I miss the simplicity of the days and a young man who was less educated, but knew the Word and knew his Lord as a calf sprung from the stall.

Amen brother . . . AMEN!  This might be another thread - having the simplicity in Christ without so much head knowledge!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Alive said:

Hmmmm? I think it less than praise worthy to overly condemn Rome, for the danger of unneeded offense, as our brother of the Vine expressed. Bible students know the issues. I have noticed that many catholic associations and groups have changed some of where emphasis is placed and that is good. Regarding bible study and focus on Christ. It reminds me of back in the 70’s during the charasmatic days, when I new many catholics converting…even among monks. There was true fellowship with many folks even with differing doctrines. Such can be the case when the Spirit is doing a work and Christ is front and center. Honestly, I miss the simplicity of the days and a young man who was less educated, but knew the Word and knew his Lord as a calf sprung from the stall.

Well, today we have a situation which has risen. Messianic Judaism. Not making a judgement on that practice itself, but looking to caution in some areas is all. Keeping Rabbinic ritual is Sacramental. But... how do we "judge these when or if we do? We see many churches praising this sacramentalism, and it's teachings. We have not had this before the rise of MJism. Shouldn't we be mindful of this? 

Also, If we were to look at "similar" things of the early Church in the same vein, Why not then adopt a one day, or two day fast as him taken from us, and breaking the fast on the third day? this opposed to just throwing everything out? While approving of the Rabbinic incorporation of the same? this is simply an example is all.

1 minute ago, Vine Abider said:

To me it's a matter of conscience.  I would not take the ash mark it myself.  But I wouldn't hammer someone with "the truth" about it, if it was a stumbling to them.  Not unless I had clear leading from the HS to speak to them . . . then there would be life, love and wisdom in my words to build up.

On my biker forum, there are several catholics who attend regularly and speak of these things. I never address it. I speak of Christ as Lord and Savior and quote scripture. I hope and pray for fruit.

I did speak against popery once and it did not help.

• Brilliant! 1

3 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

Well, today we have a situation which has risen. Messianic Judaism. Not making a judgement on that practice itself, but looking to caution in some areas is all. Keeping Rabbinic ritual is Sacramental. But... how do we "judge these when or if we do? We see many churches praising this sacramentalism, and it's teachings. We have not had this before the rise of MJism. Shouldn't we be mindful of this? 

Also, If we were to look at "similar" things of the early Church in the same vein, Why not then adopt a one day, or two day fast as him taken from us, and breaking the fast on the third day? this opposed to just throwing everything out? While approving of the Rabbinic incorporation of the same? this is simply an example is all.

The Lord, via Paul, did a thorough job dealing with this stuff writing to Corinth.

I think these issues are dealt with at a local personal level as the Lord leads…developing any rigid system is a mistake.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Alive said:

The Lord, via Paul, did a thorough job dealing with this stuff writing to Corinth.

I think these issues are dealt with at a local personal level as the Lord leads…developing any rigid system is a mistake.

But I do not see the same condemnation at all. It isn't about what is right or wrong as much as it how we judge SAME THINGS, DIFFERENTLY. ONE OK, SOME TO PRAISING OF IT. THE OTHER STRONGLY CONDEMNED. 

Edited by Anne2

29 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

But I do not see the same condemnation at all. It isn't about what is right or wrong as much as it how we judge SAME THINGS, DIFFERENTLY. ONE OK, SOME TO PRAISING OF IT. THE OTHER STRONGLY CONDEMNED. 

Is what were talking about focusing on the major, core things, but holding onto the nonessential differences loosely?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  969
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  2

14 hours ago, believeinHim said:

Can anyone explain the Ash Wednesday Mark to me ? ? ? Is it a seal of the cross, Or is it a mark you shouldn't take ? Does it come from Rome ? Is it Roman Catholic ? :emot-questioned:

Did the Lord command it? Or is it of men.

It is the keeping of man made beliefs, traditions, and doctrines of men that is “the leaven”to beware of, as a little leaven can leaven the whole lump.

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

If the Lord did not command it, it is the doctrines of men.

29 minutes ago, Stewardofthemystery said:
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

If the Lord did not command it, it is the doctrines of men.

Apostolic traditions were held.....written OR SPOKEN

2Th 2:15  Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Passover seder

Which is by whom?

4 cups, or one cup?