• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  773
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/05/1962

21 hours ago, The Barbarian said:

Now this head is Christ whose representative in the Church is the supreme pontiff. And therefore the name of schismatics is given to those who will not submit to the supreme pontiff nor communicate with the members of the Church subject to him.

I am not Catholic.  The pope is a man.  He is the head of the Catholic church, but God's representative on earth is the Holy Spirit.  That's why Jesus taught us to pray to the Father, not to any intercessors.  The Holy Spirit is our intercessor.  We pray to the Father.  It is the Holy Spirit that teaches us the truth of the Bible when we read it.  The Holy Spirit is God within us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.62

33 minutes ago, RV_Wizard said:

Paul is referencing the new covenant

Paul basically gave us the Christianity we have today. If it was up to James we would still be obligated to the Law. It is Paul's version of the new covenant that we are following. He derived this by declaring the Old Testament ways were the ministry of death and their prophecy was partial and incomplete associating the Torah with the reasoning of a child. Was is absolutely necessary for us to learn our ABC's? Yes

Edited by Scott Free
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

2 hours ago, RV_Wizard said:

I am not Catholic.

But you are still part of the church even if you don't accept God's word in all things.

You are angry because you don't want to listen to the Holy Spirit, who with the Father and the Son is your maker.

2 hours ago, Scott Free said:

Paul basically gave us the Christianity we have today. If it was up to James we would still be obligated to the Law.

The difference is in what The Law means.   Judaism had, at that time, become legalistic and complex to the point that a normal man could not follow the law in all regards.    The New Covenant was of the spirit.   So Jesus pointed out that not all who followed the law would be saved, but those who did the will of the Father.

That which is done in love of God and our fellow man, is in the Law.   That which is not, is not of the Law.

Edited by The Barbarian

2 minutes ago, The Barbarian said:

Judaism had, at that time, become legalistic and complex to the point that a normal man could not follow the law in all regards. 

Agreed. The Law does play an essential role in creating a stable civilization for the Jews. Could you imagine Christianity having a Sanhedrin dictating the application of the Law? Paul did the right thing by upstaging James in questioning the continued viability of the Torah.

33 minutes ago, The Barbarian said:

Judaism had, at that time, become legalistic and complex to the point that a normal man could not follow the law in all regards.

The Jewish ultra-orthodoxy was more oppressive than Sharia law is today?

2 hours ago, Scott Free said:

The Jewish ultra-orthodoxy was more oppressive than Sharia law is today?

No, at least not the way it is where Islam is the established religion, because the Jews did not enforce it for everyone.   The Pharisees kept the legalisms, but most people just did the best they could.    So by Jesus' time, you didn't have religious police running about, punishing every little deviation.  

30 minutes ago, The Barbarian said:

No, at least not the way it is where Islam is the established religion, because the Jews did not enforce it for everyone.   The Pharisees kept the legalisms, but most people just did the best they could.    So by Jesus' time, you didn't have religious police running about, punishing every little deviation. 

That is true. I guess I am just talking about the difference in the complexity of law among fringe extremist groups.

• Group:  Senior Member

11 hours ago, Scott Free said:

He derived this by declaring the Old Testament ways were the ministry of death and their prophecy was partial and incomplete associating the Torah with the reasoning of a child.

The Old Testament teaches us that the wages of sin are death, and that without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sin.  These truths are revisited in the New Testament.  Until we understand that, we understand nothing.  Nothing has changed.  The wages of your sin are death.  The gift of God, through grace, is eternal life.  That grace comes from the shed blood of Jesus Christ, the lamb of God; perfect and without sin.  His blood was shed for the forgiveness of sin.  Christ is the fulfilment of the Scriptures, not the correction.

• Group:  Senior Member

9 hours ago, The Barbarian said:

But you are still part of the church even if you don't accept God's word in all things.

Everything I say I back up by posting God's word.  My church is the Bible.  If you preach that which is in the Bible, I may be a part of your church.  If you teach differently, I will wipe my feet as I leave the door.  If anyone can show an error using a complete passage of Scripture, I have no problem learning.  When you post a partial quote out of context and pretends that it says that which it does not, I reject that as false teaching and an attack on the word of God.

• Thumbs Up 2