IGNORED

Faith based tattoo question

farouk

Faith based: does this describe your (actual or likely) first tattoo?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Faith based: does this describe your (actual or likely) first tattoo?

• Yes, it is or would likely be faith-based
    • No, it does not/would not/no tattoos received or planned
    • I'm open to the idea but am not quite sure yet
    • Rather not say

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 11/10/2024 at 01:48 AM

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,671
  • Content Per Day:  12.17
  • Days Won:  31

19 minutes ago, deva1 said:

No I'm in the UK. They're not very popular here. Not to my knowledge anyway. I'm not a fan to be honest. 

@deva1 Okay. Over here in some areas it's very widespread.

..in the rural Bible Belt. Just about every person in three of the four sides of my family (bio parents, step parents) have multiple tattoos. Most of them are biblical (crosses between the shoulder blades are the most common ones) getting tattoos when your old enough is pretty much expected in the family.

source: reddit

FHII said:

I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not....Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos...  Myself, the Pastor, his daughter and grand daughter included. Now, even my wife

christianityboard dot com

(Does this surprise you a bit, Deva1?)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0

46 minutes ago, farouk said:

@deva1 Okay. Over here in some areas it's very widespread.

..in the rural Bible Belt. Just about every person in three of the four sides of my family (bio parents, step parents) have multiple tattoos. Most of them are biblical (crosses between the shoulder blades are the most common ones) getting tattoos when your old enough is pretty much expected in the family.

FHII said:

I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not....Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos...  Myself, the Pastor, his daughter and grand daughter included. Now, even my wife

(Does this surprise you a bit, Deva1?)

Doesn't surprise me that tattoos are popular in general population. Seen loads when I worked in a dermatology clinic.

The biggest one I've seen covered this patients entire back. I was caring for him post suicide attempt. It was an image of the crucifixion and the words " only God can judge me" written there . Gave me an opportunity to have a profound conversation.

Didn't realise that faith ones were becoming more popular though. Not my thing but that's just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  1.10

On 4/29/2024 at 9:22 PM, farouk said:

Hi @Coruscating You're not in North America, right?

In North America, anyway, getting tattooed is very widespread among professing Christians, especially in some areas. FYI:

FHII said:

@farouk Thank you for the information, but the spreading of this art among Christians is meaningless to me, regardless of region and denomination.
Personally, I believe tattoos are just another human idea that God tolerates in this world. I see tattoos as a cult of self, therefore I won't do it.
As for my brothers in Christ who chose differently, it is none of my business. God knows the heart, I don't, so, I don't spend two seconds thinking about their tattoos.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all who voted so far in the poll.

NB: If you have not yet voted in the poll, please vote now.

48 minutes ago, Coruscating said:

@farouk Thank you for the information, but the spreading of this art among Christians is meaningless to me, regardless of region and denomination.
Personally, I believe tattoos are just another human idea that God tolerates in this world. I see tattoos as a cult of self, therefore I won't do it.
As for my brothers in Christ who chose differently, it is none of my business. God knows the heart, I don't, so, I don't spend two seconds thinking about their tattoos.

Thanks @Coruscating for the comment. I would indeed agree that a faith based tattoo in and of itself does not directly bless the wearer, necessarily. It might of course in some circumstances display a Scripture to someone who sees it, or prove to be a witness talking point. My wife and I talked to a quiet, shy young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I imagine she would have gotten real joy from emerging as a tattooed woman from a parlor, in view of the testimony opportunities that lay ahead.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 6:19 PM, deva1 said:

The biggest one I've seen covered this patients entire back. I was caring for him post suicide attempt. It was an image of the crucifixion and the words " only God can judge me" written there . Gave me an opportunity to have a profound conversation.

@deva1 Thanks for the comment.

Seems like you indeed took the opportunity to be "instant in season, out of season" (2 Timothy 4.2) and a profound conversation followed.

In one way or another a faith-related tattoo can like you implied be linked to a profound experience, either for the tattooee or to the person s/he talks to.

Various young ppl that I have talked with who have gotten Scripture quote tattoos seemed to have really savored the profound experience of having gotten them, anyway; I was just telling @Coruscating, above, about one of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:17 PM, other one said:

that would be mine also.....   no tattoos at all.

@other one Kind of implies the term "cleanskin", right?

On 4/5/2024 at 12:00 PM, Thewhitedove said:

I have Bible verses on my wall at home and I was considering getting a cross tattoo as a conversation starter! ............ My husband has several tattoos and I like them. I would just love a really nice design to cover my tattoo up

@Thewhitedove So sounds like from back and from just recently you have really wanted to have inking done again so you can have a testimony conversation starter, as a really strong wish.

On 4/26/2024 at 9:44 PM, NConly said:

Concluded design and colors now looking for the right artist.

@NConly So do you think you'll know straightway when you've found the right tattoo artist for you?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,358
  • Content Per Day:  2.74

12 minutes ago, farouk said:

@NConly So do you think you'll know straightway when you've found the right tattoo artist for you?

Well I do not want to pick something in a book that suits me the have the person hand draw their version. the pic should me copied onto skin not hand drawn. Yes by the time I say "lets do this" I will be sure. Have not found them yet though.

• Thanks 1