Mark 11:24 versus Luke 18:1-8

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  2

i am curious how you know, or perceive, when something needs 'persistent prayer' as opposed to when something needs to be 'prayed about, believed in faith, and left at the altar'? i've heard it preached both ways.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

Just now, itty-bitty lamb said:

i am curious how you know, or perceive, when something needs 'persistent prayer' as opposed to when something needs to be 'prayed about, believed in faith, and left at the altar'? i've heard it preached both ways.

Hi @itty-bitty lamb Acts 2.42 refers to prayers as something in which the early Christians 'continued steadfastly'.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, itty-bitty lamb said:

Here's my take on that.

I, for one, believe in persistent prayer because of Luke 18 and the story of the persistent widow.  I have some people I pray for persistently.  A gay couple, some former Muslim students, my brother, and more.  Luke 18 teaches us to bring these requests to God persistently.  Don't give up.  Even after years and years.  Don't stop praying.

I don't believe that Mark 11 teaches the opposite.  Mark 11:24 says to pray in faith and believe and it will be yours.  It doesn't say the length of time required.

Luke 18 doesn't say there will be an immediate answer and Mark 11 doesn't say that either.

Combine the two:

[1]  Pray persistently - over and over.  Do not let go.

[2] Pray in faith and believe.  The answer may not come for years.  But it will come.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,873
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Unless you are getting a strong, consistent leading of the Spirit that a certain something you are praying for should no longer be prayed for (like if God is telling you clearly that the answer is no and you need to move on), I would continue praying for it. This assuming that the thing in question you are praying for was something right to be praying for in the first place (I.E. not winning the lottery or something bad happening to someone else etc.)

• Thumbs Up 2