IGNORED

Should Christmas be celebrated or rejected according to the word of God?

Bro.Tan

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Sower said:

I asked twice for an answer, no response. cool...

I'm still eagerly anticipating an answer, though I would go farther with the question, and ask him to list for us every single law he believes we are supposed to follow, which ones perhaps we no longer have to follow, how he might make that distinction, and which ones he personally follows. I would also like to know how he obeys the various sacrificial and dietary laws.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,431
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

20 hours ago, Bro.Tan said:

We can't use Paul writing against the scriptures. In the scriptures it's written in Exodus 20: And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 

Let's take a look at Romans the 14th chapter. Let's take a look and see what Paul is actually talking about in some of these verses. Let’s begin at verse one. Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. (Romans 14:1)

He that is weak in the faith? Hmm? How's an individual’s faith increase?

Take note;

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17)

Therefore by hearing the word of God our faith will be established; and if we believe, we will do what the Lord requires us to do. So, the individual in Romans the 14th chapter at the first verse which is weak in the "faith" is a babe in the Doctrine of the Lord. Also in that first verse Paul also states, "receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations."

In other words, accept this brother or sister but, do not agree with their uncertain arguments. Meaning, if this individual, who is weak in the faith hasn't obtained the correct concept of a particular scripture or verse, correct them, do not agree if they are incorrect.

For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. (Romans 14: 2-3)

Is this literal food? Or is the Apostle Paul giving us an example? Let's skip to the 15th verse.

But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. (Romans 14:15)

Now let’s back up to the 4 verse, 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Brothers and sisters...this is simple, So you stand strong by the word of God  (Jesus) and his righteousness, which is his laws, statutes, and judgements.

Sisters and brothers, how can an individual grieve or destroy another with his or her meat? What does Paul mean by, "Now walkest thou not charitably?" What is charity? The love of mankind correct? What is love according to the Word of God? Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:10). Therefore if you walk not in the Law of God, and preach the Law of God, you can destroy and individual with your knowledge of the word. In other words practice what you preach.

Take a look at what Paul says in the 5th chapter of Hebrews.

For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (Hebrews 5:12-14) 

In Romans the 14th chapter Paul was not referring to literal food at all. He was simply using food for an example. Now, let's return to Romans the 14th chapter and see that he was in fact talking about the word of righteousness instead of literal food. 

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. (Romans 14:17) 

Well, I see your point, but don't agree, in that I think it is a rather legalistic approach. Let's take this one paragraph you wrote, which I think is something of a summary of your thoughts:

In other words, accept this brother or sister but, do not agree with their uncertain arguments. Meaning, if this individual, who is weak in the faith hasn't obtained the correct concept of a particular scripture or verse, correct them, do not agree if they are incorrect.

Firstly, I concur we don't have to agree if they are incorrect.  But I believe Paul, in the passage in Romans 14, is not saying we need to correct them - because I believe he's saying these kinds of things are inconsequential.  Therefore it is not our role to correct in inconsequential matters, but it's much more advantageous to let the indwelling Spirit do His work as He sees fit in their lives.

I think Paul is saying that in putting the law on someone we  shackle a person for whom Christ died to set free from the law (Romans 7:3).  As it says in 2 Corinthians 3:6, "The letter kills; but the Spirit gives life."  (And this pertains directly to the law as referenced in the next verse: "the ministry of death written and engraved on stones.")

Therefore let's not bite and devour someone for the sake of more inconsequential matters (e.g. Christmas celebration).

• Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

The real question is. Do Jesus want Christians to celebrate Christmas as his birth?

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  71
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

18 minutes ago, Know Jah said:

The real question is. Do Jesus want Christians to celebrate Christmas as his birth?

I don't usually find myself asking a question like this, and when I do I have to make sure I am not asking this by way of judging others (which is easy to do!) Rather, I believe the real question we should ALWAYS be asking of ourselves (not others!) is: do I find myself honoring (loving) Jesus in whatever activity or relationship He has placed before me or that He has given me freedom in which to participate? Do I actively love my brother, my neighbor, the widow, the orphan?

Does Jesus want you to remember or celebrate His birth? If so, fine. If not, leave it at that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 3

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I have Family who for no amount of money, begging, enticing, would never step foot into a Church Building.  But they will come to hunt Easter Eggs and open Christmas Gifts by a decorated Tree.   I use whatever means is available to explain the meaning of each Holiday from a Godly perspective.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Christians support to be one who follows Christ. Therefore what we should always ask WWJD.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

I'm not a fan of Christmas and tend to believe that Jesus was probably born on September 11th. However, I use this scripture to guide me regarding its celebration:

Romans 14:5-6 (esv) "One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God."

Thread killed. :clap:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

6 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Well, I see your point, but don't agree, in that I think it is a rather legalistic approach. Let's take this one paragraph you wrote, which I think is something of a summary of your thoughts:

Firstly, I concur we don't have to agree if they are incorrect.  But I believe Paul, in the passage in Romans 14, is not saying we need to correct them - because I believe he's saying these kinds of things are inconsequential.  Therefore it is not our role to correct in inconsequential matters, but it's much more advantageous to let the indwelling Spirit do His work as He sees fit in their lives.

I think Paul is saying that in putting the law on someone we  shackle a person for whom Christ died to set free from the law (Romans 7:3).  As it says in 2 Corinthians 3:6, "The letter kills; but the Spirit gives life."  (And this pertains directly to the law as referenced in the next verse: "the ministry of death written and engraved on stones.")

Therefore let's not bite and devour someone for the sake of more inconsequential matters (e.g. Christmas celebration).

When the bible speaks of laws we no longer have to keep, it is speaking of the sacrificial laws and Priesthood laws. These laws were a school master pointing us to the fact that Jesus would be sacrificed for our sins. Since Jesus died we are no longer under a school master, (required to offer up bulls and goats for our sins). 

Now we must believe (have faith) Jesus died for us (Hebrews 10:4,9-10) 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. 9 then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

This doesn't mean we don't have to obey God's moral laws of conduct. That would be like a man getting paroled from prison and then ignoring the same laws that sent him to prison in the first place. Jesus only died once, so if we willingly break God's law, after accepting Jesus, our reward will be eternal damnation (Hebrews 10:26-27) 26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins27 but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Let us avoid this at all costs, seeking a better reward. Jesus will return real soon And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. (Revelation 22:12). 

23 hours ago, Sower said:

Actually, I do not study the Jewish history much, but thanks. Interested in, with your knowledge of the Jewish people etc, how you keep the Sabbath. You found a fault with my post but what about the rest of it, and how do you celebrate the Sabbath, sunset to sunset etc, and do you find the requirements a bit troublesome?

Thanks Bro Tan.....

I don't study Jewish history much either, but in the Bible we run across Esau. For example the book of obadiah, give that read and go back to that time when Esau and Jacob his brother was born in Genesis. Give those books in the Bible a good read and get back to me, please. 

On 12/12/2023 at 5:09 PM, Starise said:

All of this over a Christmas tree? Seriously?

Can you name another Pagan Holiday that has the name of Christ mix up in? I can.