• Topic Count:  2,298
  • Topics Per Day:  0.51
  • Content Count:  4,423
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

Tuesday 12-12-23 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Kislev 27 5784, 81st. Fall Day

Finished, complete, pure, holy

Be ye therefore perfect... - The Saviour concludes this part of the discourse by commanding his disciples to be "perfect." This word commonly means "finished, complete, pure, holy." Originally, it is applied to a piece of mechanism, as a machine that is complete in its parts.

biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/5-48.htm

What Does It Mean When Jesus Said Be Ye Therefore Perfect - Search (bing.com)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.27
  • Content Count:  3,894
  • Content Per Day:  6.68
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

56 minutes ago, Walter and Deborah said:

Be ye therefore perfect... - The Saviour concludes this part of the discourse by commanding his disciples to be "perfect." This word commonly means "finished, complete, pure, holy." Originally, it is applied to a piece of mechanism, as a machine that is complete in its parts.

1 Corinthians 13:

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues,

they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 

9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 

10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 

12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face.

Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

I was just thinking earlier as to how our society accommodates and encourages

holding on the the things that we loved in our youth. If we put away childish things

is it possible to know and be known, face to face with the Lord?

Deuteronomy 34:10 But since then there has not arisen in Israel a prophet like Moses,

whom the Lord knew face to face.

Ah, but there has arisen a prophet greater than Moses, who has made a Way.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,950
  • Content Per Day:  2.42

7 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

You are not quoting Jesus. You cannot show scripture from the Bible to prove that those are the words of Jesus. 

Guest AFlameOfFire

Here is be ye merciful, perfect and holy

Luke 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

3 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

Here is be ye merciful, perfect and holy

Luke 6:36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

This is a lot better and it is beautiful the bible reference together with the scripture and the version is important but not always not when words are not substituted or when only the paraphrase will do and not the original. 

There it did not say complete or another word it is said "perfect" and not alone but perfect as your Heavenly Father who is perfect. The context it is important because it was said to people who were told to be perfect according to the provisions in the Law. And Jesus took them away from it and to something else which they did not have...and it could not be possible through to what they were having.  

Self perfection or perfection in the Law of Moses did not give the right to anyone to call the Father in Heaven "our or my Heavenly Father" and if they do anyway the Heavenly Father will say that you can say it as many times as you want but still I am not your Father in heaven. 

They were not in the Heavenly Father they were in Abraham "our Father is Abraham" at first through the Covenant of Cirumcision and later on through the Sinai Covenant. 

Guest AFlameOfFire
1 hour ago, Your closest friendnt said:

This is a lot better and it is beautiful the bible reference together with the scripture and the version is important but not always not when words are not substituted or when only the paraphrase will do and not the original. 

There it did not say complete or another word it is said "perfect" and not alone but perfect as your Heavenly Father who is perfect. The context it is important because it was said to people who were told to be perfect according to the provisions in the Law. And Jesus took them away from it and to something else which they did not have...and it could not be possible through to what they were having.  

Self perfection or perfection in the Law of Moses did not give the right to anyone to call the Father in Heaven "our or my Heavenly Father" and if they do anyway the Heavenly Father will say that you can say it as many times as you want but still I am not your Father in heaven. 

If you clicked on the Biblehub link she posted the verse is fully written out there, it could just be that the link just posts  by cutting off half the verse. Although, the word complete is just in the definition itself, for example

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect G5046, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect G5046

Teleios/Perfect

1. brought to its end, finished

2. wanting nothing necessary to completeness

3. perfect

4. that which is perfect

1. consummate human integrity and virtue

2. of men

1. full grown, adult, of full age, mature

Although, the words, pure and holy I missed in that particular definition, I don't see them there, but there is another verse that says, "be ye holy".

We can see God telling Abram to walk before him and be perfect even before the law

Gen 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram,

and said unto him,  I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Just as here

Deut 18:13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

And as we know,

2 Sam 14:41 As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.

And as Jesus said,

And there are others as far is being declared as having a perfect heart like David in 1Kings 11:4 and Asa

1 Kings 15:14 But the high places were not removed: nevertheless Asa's heart was perfect with the LORD all his days.

It appears that the law  could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience whereas the better hope did in that particular respect. And God is love and we are perfected in love.  So perfect can be pulled together through that thread of things

1 John 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected:

hereby know we that we are in him.

1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us,

and his love is perfected in us.

God is love, "as he is"

1 John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment:

because as he is, so are we in this world.

Perfect and love are tied in together

Col 3:14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

So when he says,

Its not like our idea of some kind of self righteous sort of perfection if you compare around

7 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

If you clicked on the Biblehub link she posted the verse is fully written out there, it could just be that the link just posts  by cutting off half the verse. Although, the word complete is just in the definition itself, for example

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect G5046, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect G5046

Teleios/Perfect

1. brought to its end, finished

2. wanting nothing necessary to completeness

3. perfect

4. that which is perfect

1. consummate human integrity and virtue

2. of men

1. full grown, adult, of full age, mature

Although, the words, pure and holy I missed in that particular definition, I don't see them there, but there is another verse that says, "be ye holy".

We can see God telling Abram to walk before him and be perfect even before the law

Gen 17:1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram,

and said unto him,  I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Just as here

Deut 18:13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

And as we know,

2 Sam 14:41 As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.

And as Jesus said,

And there are others as far is being declared as having a perfect heart like David in 1Kings 11:4 and Asa

1 Kings 15:14 But the high places were not removed: nevertheless Asa's heart was perfect with the LORD all his days.

It appears that the law  could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience whereas the better hope did in that particular respect. And God is love and we are perfected in love.  So perfect can be pulled together through that thread of things

1 John 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected:

hereby know we that we are in him.

1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us,

and his love is perfected in us.

God is love, "as he is"

1 John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment:

because as he is, so are we in this world.

Perfect and love are tied in together

Col 3:14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

So when he says,

Its not like our idea of some kind of self righteous sort of perfection if you compare around

Thank you for taking the time to post all of this and the insights. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  122
  • Topics Per Day:  0.33
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  2.81
  • Days Won:  2

10 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

This is the only way to be made perfect….

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be “made perfect in one;” and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Stewardofthemystery said:

This is the only way to be made perfect….

I in them, and thou in me, that they may be “made perfect in one;” and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

A little context surly will help. It looks like puzzling to some people.