Catsmeow

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Days Won:  0

WHAT is righteous anger? I've heard of it but what is it actually?

When is it appropriate?

I know that there are times when the Lord burned with anger. I know there are times when Jesus seemed quite angry or at least irritated with some people, (Pharisees in particular).

So if the Lord was angry, being angry can't be a sin unless we let the sun go down on our anger.

However, how do you balance anger with "loving" others?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I think sometimes Christians believe that we are not to be angry, according to the Scriptures. That is not true. The Scriptures say do not be angry unless there is cause to. And then you must not harbor anger and resentment, when forgiveness is asked of you.

Matthew 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

You must have discernment to be able to judge yourself. You must not be condemned in your own heart. You have to have the mind of Christ to be able to look at yourself and gauge whether or not you are being righteous in your anger, or just angry in the flesh, and not in the spirit.

Eph. 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

Psalm 103:8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.

Prov. 15:18 A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.

Prov. 16:32 He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.

Mark 3:5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Thank you, Suzanne...this is a tough subject for me.

It seems that the Lord would have us be zealous for the appropriate cause. For instance, when the disciples withheld the little ones from Jesus He seemed annoyed with them and had a little "talk" with them about their attitudes...

Then, He welcomed the little ones and blessed them...I get the feeling the Lord will straighten out those who think too highly of themselves....

He also seems to have a special place in His heart protecting the cause of the widow and orphan and those who are weak and vulnerable.

I have wondered if God's righteous anger is based on protecting others, particularly innocent victims.

I remember when a little girl named Samantha Runion was kidnapped from her own yard while playing with a girlfriend. She was only 5 years old. A maniac kidnapped the little girl and soon after, her tiny frame was found - murdered.

I was so outraged, I cried out to God with a burst of rage. I begged God (fervent prayer) to expose the murderer and bring him to justice quickly before he could kill another little child.

The very next day, my prayer was mercifully answered.

I have suspected that God is also angered when such heinous crimes are committed.

What sets me off is when people harm children or expose them to harm...I become volitile because my maternal drive kicks in. The bible doesn't seem to say much about this drive.

He also seems to have a special place in His heart protecting the cause of the widow and orphan and those who are weak and vulnerable.

I have wondered if God's righteous anger is based on protecting others, particularly innocent victims.

Yes, I believe so Cats. I also have to remember that the cause of the widow and the orphan, is to remember those who are without a "husband" and without a "father". I can also take that to mean those who have not known the Lord as their Groom, and the Father as their Father. We need to be mindful of those who have not heard the Word of the Gospel, or been married to the Lord, or look to God as the Father. Then we need to be sure and tell them the truth of the Gospel, before we get angry and sin against them, when they have offended us, that is not to say that we stay in a house where the Word is not received, but we must be sure to share the Word, and see if it is received. We must remember that there are still many who are orphaned and widowed right now, and we are obligated to tell them of the Lord our God, so that they can know Him as well!

I do not throw pearls to swine, but I do not show favoritism. All men should be able to hear the gospel, but not all will receive. So I don't hang around for the Word to be insulted, nor will I stay to the point of anger. If the word is not received I will dust off my feet and move on. But remember, we are to be SLOW to anger. :D And that is not easy, so that is where we must be mindful of walking in the Spirit and not the flesh.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Oh, I almost forgot to add this, but your comments above brought it to mind. When I went into Children's Evangelism ministry, one of the first things I learned from the Scriptures was in the study of the story you mentioned about the apostles trying to keep the children from Jesus. In the study of that passage, it was shown that Jesus' anger in this particular instance, was even greater than His anger when He overturned the moneychangers tables in the temple.

I found this to be highly significant in how we are to regard the children.

:il:

In His Love,

Suzanne

Guest shadow2b

Yes, I believe so Cats. I also have to remember that the cause of the widow and the orphan, is to remember those who are without a "husband" and without a "father". I can also take that to mean those who have not known the Lord as their Groom, and the Father as their Father. We need to be mindful of those who have not heard the Word of the Gospel, or been married to the Lord, or look to God as the Father. Then we need to be sure and tell them the truth of the Gospel, before we get angry and sin against them, when they have offended us, that is not to say that we stay in a house where the Word is not received, but we must be sure to share the Word, and see if it is received. We must remember that there are still many who are orphaned and widowed right now, and we are obligated to tell them of the Lord our God, so that they can know Him as well!

I do not throw pearls to swine, but I do not show favoritism. All men should be able to hear the gospel, but not all will receive. So I don't hang around for the Word to be insulted, nor will I stay to the point of anger. If the word is not received I will dust off my feet and move on. But remember, we are to be SLOW to anger. :D And that is not easy, so that is where we must be mindful of walking in the Spirit and not the flesh.

In His Love,

Suzanne

great stuff suzanne--- :t3: ----YA-KNOW--- even when i was in school, i always hated bullies,because they only pick on someone they know can't fight back or won't fight back...Usually what was termed a bookworm or a small kid that wore glasses & was smart & never gave the teacher any problems....I don't remember how many fights i got into trying to "defend" or fight for one of those kids, but it was a lot...AND i ain't very big anyhow---it was just an attitude i had i guess----{probably still have too}--I think i always got the worst end of the fight [bigger black eye??} but the bully went home crying to his mommy----haaaa---humor??--------oh the throwing pearls before swine would apply to the {homosexual} church in Dallas--not a church of "FORMER" gays & lesbians BUT one that is for those still "practicing" their perverted lifestyles & claiming that IT is just fine with GOD....-----AS per channal 8 news item--------ARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

drives me rightUP a tree------ :alien: ---------SO i guess the supreme court ruling on thursday will SET the gays

FREE to seduce "KIDS" probably with the help of the "TOLERANT" ALL INCLUSIVE {except christianity} LIBERAL--NON-OFFENDING--P.C.---PUBLIC-SCHOOL-SYSTEM--{aaahem--indoctrination centers}---????????

ooooooppppppppppssssssss---where did i lose focus????????----uhhhhhhhhh--suzanne--could you please "SEND ME" some of uuuuhhhhhh--whatever "THAT" is you have???????? restraint??wisdom?? self control?? Ahhhhhhhhhh~~~~ walking in the "SPIRIT"~~~~~~"THAT" is where i'm going wrong???????

as in "NOT"-------------------------GOD-BLESS------------------------{Gary}--- :wacko: ---as----"walk in"????

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

---YA-KNOW--- even when i  was in school, i always hated bullies,because they only pick on someone they know can't fight back or won't fight back...Usually what was termed a bookworm or a small kid that wore glasses & was smart & never gave the teacher any problems....I don't remember how many fights i got into trying to "defend" or fight for one of those kids, but it was a lot...

AHA! I KNEW you were a knight! :laugh:

What really pushes my buttons or sets me off is when children are endangered.

I get so angry, I can feel my blood pressure rise. Even when I hear that someone is mistreating a little child or doing something that would cause them to sin...I get so angry I could just spit!

I was enraged with a discussion about bringing these sweet babies to a nudist camp, I was ready to go ballistic...

I read enough about sexual predators and perverts to be highly distrustful. The damage to abused children is horrific... I was molested when I was about 9 years old.

So, naturally...something kicks in when I even smell a hint of opportunistic thinking among sexual predators.

I have a tendency to be highly suspicious of anyone who would put a child at risk...and when people risk a child's innocence for their sick, perverted pleasures...I'm so sorry, Suzanne...I'm no longer very "Christian"...

I simply lose it.

The potential of letting children become "eye candy" for some sexual predator just makes my blood boil!

ooooooppppppppppssssssss---where did i lose focus????????----uhhhhhhhhh--suzanne--could you please "SEND ME" some of uuuuhhhhhh--whatever "THAT" is you have???????? restraint??wisdom?? self control?? Ahhhhhhhhhh~~~~ walking in the "SPIRIT"~~~~~~"THAT" is where i'm going wrong???????

as in "NOT"-------------------------GOD-BLESS------------------------{Gary}---  ---as----"walk in"????

It's ok Gary, breathe in, breathe out, .......... breathe in, breathe out..................Although, I do think that one's a turn the tables over, kind of mad, anybody got any whips of cord? Oh, I am distraught too Gary. I'm wondering how long it will be like the days of Lot, where they're trying to beat down the door to come in and have sex with men?

Very troubling.

In His Love,

Suzanne

It's ok Cats, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I think you might have misunderstood my post, I was speaking of the children too.

We were posting at the same time, so........breathe in, breathe out.......breathe in........breathe out......you and Gary are firecrackers aren't ya.

:laugh:

In His Love,

Suzanne