Is self harm morally wrong?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

@Neighbor thanks for the cheering and for the advices but I already made that decision to smoke.You seem like someone who has a better life and future than me.

At leastt thanks for listening to me,for 10 years no one ever listened to me

Edited by wolly
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, wolly said:

At leastt thanks for listening to me,for 10 years no one ever listened to me

Anytime! And yes I do have a nice life.  Even when it is pretty darn bad.  I have had decades to be up, down, up, down, and up again. Had six careers, lots of injuries and  illnesses, plus have been family advocate for those that  were sick and dying  spent decades tending to that too. Been busted (financially) more than once too!

While most people, I suppose, first come to know the Christmas story as their first Bible encounter, God had me read the book of Job. 

I have lost family to suicides cancers strokes, and have had serious back pain for over 50 years now. Yet life is grand for it has shown me  Jesus.  Th eday  God turned me about I went from smoking 100 cigarettes a day to not even being a smoker! I never quit I just no longer was a smoker.

WhatI am saying is I have been there, much  as you  might be today. It can get better, seems God takes some of us through a harder trailway than others, often for special reasons, His reasons, that become clearer late in life.

Hang on my child joy comes in the morning is more than a line in a song. It is a promise that God fulfills. Turn to him and hang on!

Chat anytime, long as I am this side of the grass.

3 hours ago, wolly said:

thanks for the cheering and for the advices but I already made that decision to smoke.

Hi again, Many do make that choice. I never could stop on my own, started at age 8 had to buy my own at age 11. I tried to quit many a time, then one day God up and turned me about. I haven't had a smoke in some 44 years now.

What I am more concerned about is the why of your wanting to smoke. Life is tough and some long periods of it can be very tough indeed. I simply encourage you to hold on. Plus-

Hold on plus give prayer and reading within the Bible a chance too! Have a little talk with Jesus as the saying goes.

I tell you it is true that we fight not against  fellow humans and conditions we are in, but we fight against that which is greater as it is spirit, the forces of evil are spirit. It makes for a tough fight to go alone.

There is help for each of us, as we help each other under the protection of the Holy Spirit of God enabling each of us to have the security that is certain, that security found in the sacrifice Jesus willingly made for YOU and for ME personally.

Grab onto that hope! Then don't let anyone ever steal your joy away again. Not in the ups, not in the downs, of your life ever again.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

@Neighbor I was a suicidal person and the reason why I started smoking was my demented father with schizophrenia. I just couldn't take it anymore!

4 hours ago, wolly said:

@Neighbor I was a suicidal person and the reason why I started smoking was my demented father with schizophrenia. I just couldn't take it anymore!

Hi, Thanks for responding back with that keyword WAS  ! That is key to  my answer. For if you were trying to commit suicide I'd think  that to be morally wrong! Suicide  hurts not only you obviously, it hurts others too with a hurt that never goes away, and denies God's love for you!

So is smoking morally wrong? NO! It is in most places in the USA banned because it does have adverse effects on others and of course serious adverse effects on ones self; but is it morally wrong? No.

I am likely way older than you; in my youth smoking was a rite of passage, most everyone smoked cigarettes. Had nothing to do with morals even in an environment of much stricter moral codes than most live with and under today.

Was it foolish, well sure, in retrospect it was ; but we did not have the overwhelming evidence of the nasty bad effects on health either.

The pressures I was under at one time led me to smoking literally five packs of cigarettes a day. Cigarettes, the moments it took to light up were my only breaks from extreme tension. So I think I know what you are describing.

You can be very moral and smoke, but you can't smoke and not  end up suffering  adverse health issues from having done so. Not a moral issue  but yes it is a health issue.

All that said, I suggest you not worry about the morality, but whether  you can tend to the health risk you are facing.

Do you still suffer under parentage issues today? And far more importantly  have you come to be able to rely on God through the faith of Jesus in order to handle those parts of life that  can be so miserable?

There is help to be found in knowing Jesus as your Lord,  God,  and savior. Amazing help is there to be found and then  relied on.  For Jesus is our hope certain.

What do you presently think about Jesus?

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

yes, I agree to prayer and reading the word. Just open it up to any page and read there. The word is powerful Hebrews 4:12