• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

I am asking about this primarily due to a family member who whole-heartedly backs the Confederacy and there cause during the war, and has shown me very old clippings and/or articles from that time period about Negro/African Americans who supported and even fought on the Confederate side. So to have access to such information i can only assume this wasnt just a very select few individuals or cases that no one has ever heard of, since this person is not at all the type who would really even take the time to research such things even if he did know how to do a basic internet search. But he does have a lot of friends like that which is likely where he first learned of this and similar subjects.

Either way i'm still not 100% convinced this was as widespread as he would have you to believe as far as former slaves fighting for this cause? I do know there were some slaves who were actually treated very well by there masters but still not sure this was as common as some have portrayed it, and a lot of it could in fact just be propaganda spread by Confederate sympathizers, but i'm no historian so maybe someone else here could shed some light on this?  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.58
  • Days Won:  1

Generally speaking, it is the winner who writes the history.

Always remember that when studying it.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90

7 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

I am asking about this primarily due to a family member who whole-heartedly backs the Confederacy and there cause during the war, and has shown me very old clippings and/or articles from that time period about Negro/African Americans who supported and even fought on the Confederate side. So to have access to such information i can only assume this wasnt just a very select few individuals or cases that no one has ever heard of, since this person is not at all the type who would really even take the time to research such things even if he did know how to do a basic internet search. But he does have a lot of friends like that which is likely where he first learned of this and similar subjects.

Either way i'm still not 100% convinced this was as widespread as he would have you to believe as far as former slaves fighting for this cause? I do know there were some slaves who were actually treated very well by there masters but still not sure this was as common as some have portrayed it, and a lot of it could in fact just be propaganda spread by Confederate sympathizers, but i'm no historian so maybe someone else here could shed some light on this?  

Sounds like something David Barton would say.

That doesn’t even make any sense because all I’m doing is asking a question, not trying to rouse anyone up or imply this nation should be anything other than what it was after the Union won the war, even though it could be a whole lot better NOW obviously!

Now if anyone wants to bring up which side God was on then that’s a whole nother topic, which would involve trying to explain why the side He was “allegedly” on ended up losing?

Edited by CaptWalker

58 minutes ago, CaptWalker said:

Now if anyone wants to bring up which side God was on then that’s a whole nother topic, which would involve trying to explain why the side He was “allegedly” on ended up losing?

God is not on any side but his own, it is far better to consider how to be on God's side than how to get him on yours.

Well I do appreciate that even  more than a one sentence reply(lol)…because to be honest I feel like this whole subject is really worth about that many words. My own feelings are that it was a conflict that never needed to happen but since the South was so Hell bent on preserving there own false ideals then it simply became another war that God allowed to happen, period.

But BOTH sides had some major flaws and Im not defending at all the North/Federals treatment of Native Americans. And I might even agree that slavery was all a part of Gods plan to bring African Americans here, even as horrible as conditions were on those slave ships…but it is kind of funny how I have never heard pro-South advocates ever bring this up, guess maybe they just never needed any reason to justify slavery other than for money and the economy??

Edited by CaptWalker

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Like any war, the causes of the war wasn't as black and white as many would have you believe. 

Yes, blacks fought on both sides of the civil war. That's a fact.

Yes the war started over "slavery" or at least on the surface.

The reality was there were a great many things that led up to the civil war, one of the biggest ones was states rights, especially the right to secede.

And like a pot of boiling water these things just kept adding up until they boiled over, and in that case, slavery was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, it was what finally set the south off enough to secede, and the civil war began.

People on both sides like to twist it and only focus on the facts that make their side look good. Those who are in favor of the south will say it was all because of state rights, and ignore the slavery issue altogether, and will gladly bring up the fact some slaves fought for the south. (Even though far more fought for the north)

And those who think the north was in the right will make it all about the slavery and ignore the issue of states rights and ignore the fact that some slaves did indeed fight for the south. People have a habit of seeing what they want to see.

16 minutes ago, The_Patriot21 said:

Like any war, the causes of the war wasn't as black and white as many would have you believe. 

Yes, blacks fought on both sides of the civil war. That's a fact.

Yes the war started over "slavery" or at least on the surface.

The reality was there were a great many things that led up to the civil war, one of the biggest ones was states rights, especially the right to secede.

And like a pot of boiling water these things just kept adding up until they boiled over, and in that case, slavery was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, it was what finally set the south off enough to secede, and the civil war began.

People on both sides like to twist it and only focus on the facts that make their side look good. Those who are in favor of the south will say it was all because of state rights, and ignore the slavery issue altogether, and will gladly bring up the fact some slaves fought for the south. (Even though far more fought for the north)

And those who think the north was in the right will make it all about the slavery and ignore the issue of states rights and ignore the fact that some slaves did indeed fight for the south. People have a habit of seeing what they want to see.

Don't overlook the rapidly industrializing North with it's developing agricultural and other machine powered products not wanting to compete with slave labor and wanting it eliminated so the states using it would become a new market for its products as the were then needed to replace slave labor.

Always "follow the money" when looking into the causes of conflicts.  Lots and lots of money to be made and power gained means war, no money or power to be gained means no war, everything else is just incidental excuses to rally the people.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

23 minutes ago, FJK said:

Don't overlook the rapidly industrializing North with it's developing agricultural and other machine powered products not wanting to compete with slave labor and wanting it eliminated so the states using it would become a new market for its products as the were then needed to replace slave labor.

Always "follow the money" when looking into the causes of conflicts.  Lots and lots of money to be made and power gained means war, no money or power to be gained means no war, everything else is just incidental excuses to rally the people.

I don't know about that entirely. In the end I'm glad the north won. Slavery needed to go, and the only way it was going to go was by force. All the other reasons were trivial to me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Content Per Day:  1.60

On 2/10/2024 at 1:07 PM, CaptWalker said:

Maybe this is unrelated to what you're asking about, but we know that there were black slave owners in history, not only on the African continent but in US history as well. So clearly not all blacks thought that slavery was wrong as they practiced it themselves. The Confederacy believed that they were in the right as I'm sure everyone else did. It probably doesn't help that the Bible doesn't specifically condemn slavery, although it does punish Masters who abuse their slaves.