• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Well, I live in a dry county with southern baptists everywhere.

They might get more than they bargained with here.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Well, I live in a dry county with southern baptists everywhere.

So you've noticed how dry Southern Baptists are too, huh? :thumbsup:

(No offense is meant by this. I attend a SB church)

But some thoughts on the whole issue...

I smell alot of paranoia and misplaced anger in this thread. Are we seriously angry because Wal-Mart is adopting a more "all inclusive" philosophy to the season? That is what they do...make people want to buy things from them. If it bothers you, I completely support you in boycotting them. I won't join you in it, but I admire your conviction.

Anyway...

We have to say "Happy Holidays" because...

You and I both know no one is making you say anything. But what they do on their private property is their business.

"Tolerance" is not a one-way street.

Which could be evidenced by the fact that they do not offer you a happy Kwanzaa/Hannukka when you enter their store. They offer you a watered down "all inclusive" Happy Holiday...leaving it to you to fill in the holiday of your choice. They are not offending our faith by refusing to recognize it exclusively but rather are inluding other's in their greeting.

The Muslims, and Atheists are not going to define our Christmas observance.

And you honestly believe Wal-Mart's greeting is an attempt to control how you observe Christmas?!?

We will just continue saying Merry Christmas, and remind corporate America that WE are the ones who keep them in business.

Along with the Muslims, Athiests, and "Christians" who are not really Christians. This is not to mention the other smaller faiths/cults in this country.

They are here for us...

Do you really mean Wal-Mart is here for Christian consumers? I hope that was not what you intended. I hope you mean Wal-Mart is here for whoever is willing to buy their merchandise.

In Christ,

Eric

Guest shiloh357
QUOTE(shiloh357 @ Nov 11 2005, 09:56 PM)

We have to say "Happy Holidays" because...

You and I both know no one is making you say anything. But what they do on their private property is their business.

They are making their Christian employees conform to a Christless Holiday greeting. BTW, they are a business they want customers, so it is not "their business" how they want to do things. If they want the patronage, then it is our business too.

"Tolerance" is not a one-way street.

Which could be evidenced by the fact that they do not offer you a happy Kwanzaa/Hannukka when you enter their store. They offer you a watered down "all inclusive" Happy Holiday...leaving it to you to fill in the holiday of your choice. They are not offending our faith by refusing to recognize it exclusively but rather are inluding other's in their greeting.

No, but it is "Merry Christmas" that is specifically being forbidden on the grounds that it offends someone else that someone would mention Christ at all. That is where the intolerance lies. Christmas is a Christian holiday for all intents and purposes, and they are taking a stand not acknolwedge it.

The Muslims, and Atheists are not going to define our Christmas observance.

And you honestly believe Wal-Mart's greeting is an attempt to control how you observe Christmas?!?

No, but what we have is a relatively small minority of Americans who are reportedly offended if they see or hear anything Christian, and to appease this small minority, the rest of us now are faced withbe limited with the kinds of decorations we can have at Christmas at work, how we greet each other. A store I used to work at would not play any religious Christmas carols, because someone might (gasp!) hear the song. I see us heading in a particular direction where Christmas will be completely secularized and any public display of Christ will be socially unacceptable.

We will just continue saying Merry Christmas, and remind corporate America that WE are the ones who keep them in business.

Along with the Muslims, Athiests, and "Christians" who are not really Christians. This is not to mention the other smaller faiths/cults in this country.

No, because most of them to do "Christmas shop." It is specifically the Christmas shoppers who celebrate the holiday who boost a store's bottom line. They are depending on Christmas to give them a healthy profit margin. So, it makes little sense to tell Christans we are going to forbid your religion from expressing itself during the Christmas season. It makes no sense to offend Christians, and tell them that their Savior is not worth acknowledging while expecting them to come in and boost sales.

They are here for us...

Do you really mean Wal-Mart is here for Christian consumers? I hope that was not what you intended. I hope you mean Wal-Mart is here for whoever is willing to buy their merchandise.

At Christmas time, they are here for us, Christians. They depend on us to buy their goods as a way of honoring our Savior the most precious gift God gave to us. They depend on us for their bottom line. If they want our money, they had better step and fetch. They should be rolling out the red carpet and have Jesus all over their stores, instead of telling us that our Savior isn't worth the effort to say "Merry Christmas."

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

This passed weekend I heard some encouraging news on the radio related to this topic. They were talking about how a retail chain was going to be using "Merry Christmas" on all its promotional stuff. I was encouraged to see a few chain stores going against the grain. I too will be keeping my eyes open in Wal-mart to see what they are and arent selling. As for boycotting Wal-mart, I already try to spend as little money at their stores as it is. I have a nice new Target Supercenter close by and I will buy all I can through them. I remember all the long discussions we had on the board last Christmas. It seems to me this year that more people will be paying attention this year.

That is a nice new Target here in BR, O'Danny. But we have to boycott it too because they don't allow the Salvation Army bellringers to be in front of their store.

Guest shiloh357

They are here for us...

At Christmas time, they are here for us, Christians. They depend on us to buy their goods as a way of honoring our Savior the most precious gift God gave to us. They depend on us for their bottom line. If they want our money, they had better step and fetch. They should be rolling out the red carpet and have Jesus all over their stores, instead of telling us that our Savior isn't worth the effort to say "Merry Christmas."

"They depend on us to buy their goods as a way of honoring our Savior."

Believe me, you have some serious issues other than not being allowed to say Merry Christmas.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

So, when it becomes illegal to even speak the name of Jesus in public, you're going to be OK with that? :noidea:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Walmart buys their stuff from slave laborers in China (who, btw, most of the slave are convicted Christians)......yet we get upset and dedicate a three page topic cause they don't say "Merry Christmas"?

Priorities....

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

My wife and I already boycott Wal-Mart as much as possible!!! This is just another reason.

Go to thier store late at night. CHINA is written so often on so many boxes it's really GROSS!!!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It's not paranoia - it's observation. :rolleyes:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

It sounds as if you are afraid that your God will be taken away. I believe that God should be far, far away from everything political and commercial....

The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. Psalm 9:17

If seeing God get kicked out of society doesn't make you mad and you call yourself a christian, then check your pulse because you must be dead. Theres countless verses in the Bible that tells us what happens to nations that forget God. Christians aren't to roll over and play dead in society unless we want to find ourselves neck deep in sin and depravation. We need to be active in all levels of life including government and commercial levels.