• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

My brother was relaying to me something he saw on a tV show called Wanted.

One of the characters is a Christian. Another is an athiest.

The athiest was challanging the Christian with how he reconciles the Genesis account against scientific evidence.

The Christian responded, "Don't know - don't care," ending teh challenge.

I laughed.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advise to Itzomi: Read the Bible, starting at Genesis, and don

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Saints,

Just a word of moderation. We are not here to argue anyone into a relationship with Jesus. All we can do is share with people what God has revealed to us. It is God's job to do the romancing. Please keep your tone loving and gentle. We are not on the attack here. We are expressing God's loving heart to people

And the Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

2 Timothy 2:24-26 NASB

Note: I am not accussing anyone of being held captive by Satan. I am quoting this verse more to speak to the attitude mature followers of Jesus should have when responding to those who disagree with them

Anyway, I think the main question is "how do we reconcile the fact that genesis is wrong with Christianity", rather than "how do we reconcile the fact that the moon and the sun were created after light".

BTW -

It's good to hear from you again, Nik!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report. 3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

OK, I'm not a scientist like Nik and Neb, and maybe for me that is a good thing..lol. I can just say, I don't understand how it is, I just believe it because I believe the Bible and the Bible states it.

I have no problem with accepting the fact that God can make the world from nothing. I have no problem accepting that a flood that covered the entire earth for more than 5 months and where the waters actually broke forth out of the earth as well could cause all the fossils and things we see. ( Not only that but the stories of floods in so many cultures give me reason to believe.) I see things in the scientific areas spoken of in the Bible just as a matter of course that have been proved true as time has gone by.

As for the days and nights without the sun and the moon...

Revelations 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

I don't understand it, but looks to me like God is going to do it again. :thumbsup:

This is an apologetics thread, by the way. Don't you expect questions here? Besides, it's not like you don't already know non-believers can post in this area, and this area (Outer Court) only.

Yes, you are exactly right. Your questions are welcome here. And all those who post here should remember that. If we chose to post in this forum, we should remember that this is the most important area of all to demonstrate the Fruit of the Spirit. :emot-fail:

Edited by IslandRose

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Sorry you take it that way. I've read it several times and cannot find anything arrogant or insulting......

You seriously don't see how pompous you come across? That's too bad. I'd be happy to discuss the subject further with you if that weren't the case, but I have a feeling I should end it here.

Well, it rather appears that when challenged, you choose to be intellectually dishonest. That is the ONE attitude which causes me to be disinclined to further discussion with you.

Fare well, wherever you fare.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

Paul wrote in his second letter to Timothy, that Timothy was to preach the word, be prepared in season and out of season, correct, rebuke encourage with great patience and with careful instruction. There are two things that I would like to mention on this scripture:

1. Although we know that this letter was addressed to Timothy, we realise that the instruction in it is valuable to all those who desire to follow God. We believe that all scripture came to us by inspiration of the Holy Spirit and was profitable for Timothy as well as for us.

2. Being prepared in season and out of season means to be ready with a word so if anyone asks what it is we believe and why, then we will be ready to reply.

Itzomi, your posting has shown us where our hearts are and just how well prepared/ill prepared we are in answering your questions. I've been a christian for 15 yrs and I have found in my christian experience that God will put things like this on our path to test these very things.

Christians use alot of Jargon, similarities and Metaphors. For example, 'to grow in the things of God', means to become more learned, have better understanding and to practically apply what we have learnt to daily living (practical application is called walking the talk). If someone hasn't practically applied a teaching to daily living, it simply means that it hasn't been fully learnt of understood yet.

The Bible has its' own history. Many letters written by many Apostles, prophets, followers. These were all placed into a parchment. King James was responsible for putting the ones he had together into a book. For many centuries the bible was only accessible to the Roman Catholic Church. Believers during this period could not read or write, so they believed everything that the Priests told them. It was during the time of Martin Luther King, that the bible became accessible to the public.

The book of Genesis is a condensed version of what happened during the time of creation. Since then, science has uncovered alot of specific details, events and historical information that has served to produce both controversy and awe. Those who are steadfast in their faith, tend to see that God is more than just a great counsellor. For example: If you wanted to make a model of a volcano for a school project - what would go into it?

1. Science - details and specifics. Shapes, types of trees, types of birds and animals. The

era that you want your model to portray.

2. modelling - colour, location and the form your volcano will have.

God is a scientist. There are many mysteries that are yet to be discovered. I personally believe that God will return before then and all things will be made known.

Thank you for your enquiry Itzomi. I don't mind if you give up on us - don't give up on God, he will never let you down.

:emot-fail:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Well, it rather appears that when challenged, you choose to be intellectually dishonest. That is the ONE attitude which causes me to be disinclined to further discussion with you.

I hope this isn't what it means to be Christlike... I'd like to think Jesus wouldn't be this snooty. :emot-fail:

1 Corinthians 13:1-6

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, {*AHEM*}

it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Itzomi

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  562
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

leonard , By promoting yourself as so smart, you make it hard for anyone to listen to you at all , you are missing the core issue?

Edited by abbershay

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Paul wrote in his second letter to Timothy, that Timothy was to preach the word, be prepared in season and out of season, correct, rebuke encourage with great patience and with careful instruction. There are two things that I would like to mention on this scripture:

1. Although we know that this letter was addressed to Timothy, we realise that the instruction in it is valuable to all those who desire to follow God. We believe that all scripture came to us by inspiration of the Holy Spirit and was profitable for Timothy as well as for us.

2. Being prepared in season and out of season means to be ready with a word so if anyone asks what it is we believe and why, then we will be ready to reply.

Itzomi, your posting has shown us where our hearts are and just how well prepared/ill prepared we are in answering your questions. I've been a christian for 15 yrs and I have found in my christian experience that God will put things like this on our path to test these very things.

Hi, Bolts! Thanks for your reply. :emot-fail:

In response to the above, even if one can't answer a specific question satisfactorily (in which case, the best thing to do would be to simply say, "I don't know"), the manner in which the response is given can make the difference in planting a seed in that person or chasing them away from God for good. I spoke to one of the members here in PM and, gosh, if I had known more Christians like him during my walk, I might not be sitting here on the other side of the fence today.