Worthy News:Harry Potter Keeps Kids Safe

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Did that information come from the prologue of the books, or the other additional books? I skipped a lot of the appendix/prologue when I read them... and so I am guessing I missed that stuff because of that.

All of it is spoken of in detail in The Sillmarillian. I also skipped the appendix and prologue, so I do not know if they spoke of it to give readers a bit more backstory.

and don't necessarily leave just because you got through with this topic... there's a lot of other stuff that you could respond to

Oh do not worry. I do not think I will be leaving anytime soon.

a great allegorical series: "Legends of the Guardian-King" by Karen Hancock... a marvelous job she did, presenting the Christian life, and principles within it.... :-)

Have you ever read "Ice" by Shane Johnson? I realy enjoyed that book. It is a Christian Alternate History/Sci-fi book. I do hope that the sequal will be published.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Birthday:  10/05/1967

As to the evidence that LOTR, Potter, or even TV shows such as charmed do not infuence kids to do such things, I must disagree!!

Do you have any idea how many young people try to join covens because of these shows and books????

Hundreds and thousands.

It opens the doorway to such things.

Children's minds are not fully grown and they are not able to reason the way us as adults are able to. It is too easy to confuse a child.

On one hand you tell him/her that witchcraft and spells and such are demonic and are against God, while on the other hand you tell them (by letting them read these books, or reading them yourself to them) that it is OK.

Blurrying the issue of right and wrong?? Yes most definantly.

I am surprised at some of the claims that these authors are "christians". or that this makes reading such things are ok. Just because somone makes a claim to the name DOES NOT make them a christian.

Jesus says that you will know those who are His by their fruit. These authors fruit is witchcraft. Christian?? I do not think so.

Even though these books are fantasy, they do have some elements of the real craft in them. The mirror is just one example.

The LOTR is closer to real witchcraft than any of them.

Most Wiccans are into saving the eco system. No that in itslef is not bad, but because they do something good, does it make them Godly or good in God's site?? No it doesn't, they are still witches.

Wiccans believe in doing good to others, they can be seen as being good or doing good, yes that is true, but does that take away from the evil that casting a spell or worshipping ideols brings? NO

All witchcraft or any idea, imagination, that puts itself above Christ is wrong and we should stay away from.

anyways, thats my 2cents.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

a great allegorical series: "Legends of the Guardian-King" by Karen Hancock... a marvelous job she did, presenting the Christian life, and principles within it.... :-)

Yes! :emot-highfive:

I've read the series - well, the three books that are out. The ending of the third sounds like there is more to come. :)

But I completely agree. I especially enjoyed the theme of trusting in the Lord that came through the series.

Have you read her earlier book, Arena? That taught me a lot about being sensitive to the Lord's presence.

I'm reading Dragonspell and Dragonquest right now (forgot the author's name). They are also very good Christian Fiction stories. :)

Have you ever read "Ice" by Shane Johnson? I realy enjoyed that book. It is a Christian Alternate History/Sci-fi book. I do hope that the sequal will be published.

Hmm . . . I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the heads-up! :D

As to the evidence that LOTR, Potter, or even TV shows such as charmed do not infuence kids to do such things, I must disagree!!

Do you have any idea how many young people try to join covens because of these shows and books????

Hundreds and thousands.

Hmm. Realy? Can you provide evidence to support this claim. Perhaps a survey that links the two together, or something?

I have never in my life heard of anybody at all deciding that witchcraft is cool based on what they read in a book. It is called "Fantasy" for a reason, and children, even young ones know that Fantasy is just that. Fantastic tales ment to entertain, enspire, and envoke the imagination.

If one is that paranoid, you can just tell them "This is fantasy. It is not real." or your own version that mentions what God says on such matters, and again that it is not real, nor an accurate depiction of reality as reality. I do not think small children understand allegories however.

Children's minds are not fully grown and they are not able to reason the way us as adults are able to. It is too easy to confuse a child.

On one hand you tell him/her that witchcraft and spells and such are demonic and are against God, while on the other hand you tell them (by letting them read these books, or reading them yourself to them) that it is OK.

But that is not what you should be telling them. Tell them it is wrong, and that "Fiction" books are just that. Fiction. Fantasy is Fantasy.

I am surprised at some of the claims that these authors are "christians". or that this makes reading such things are ok. Just because somone makes a claim to the name DOES NOT make them a christian.

Jesus says that you will know those who are His by their fruit. These authors fruit is witchcraft. Christian?? I do not think so.

Actualy, these authors fruit are entertaining books that enspire creativity and show life lessons...

Even though these books are fantasy, they do have some elements of the real craft in them. The mirror is just one example.

The mirror? Enlighten me further. Show me some examples of these books that reflect magic in reality.

I know. Because in LOTR the only ones to use witchraft are the wizards, who have that ability because they are devine. Just like in real life. And if you try to use magic and are not devine, you get corrupted and turn into a minion of Satan. Just like in real life.

Most Wiccans are into saving the eco system. No that in itslef is not bad, but because they do something good, does it make them Godly or good in God's site?? No it doesn't, they are still witches.

I do no understand the purpose of this.

Wiccans believe in doing good to others, they can be seen as being good or doing good, yes that is true, but does that take away from the evil that casting a spell or worshipping ideols brings? NO

Okay. This has what to do with the Fantasy genre? Also, do note that magic users who are not Wiccans exist. There are Arsutru, Satanists in their various forms, Generic Mages, Athiests, and even Christians, or those who say they are anyway. Those who are Christian and do it interpret the Bible differently, and claim to get their power from God. At any rate...yeah, Wiccans are not the only ones, and they are not even the ones anybody should care about.

All witchcraft or any idea, imagination, that puts itself above Christ is wrong and we should stay away from.

Imagination is evil? Christ must have been evil then, for putting wonderfull teachings into parable form.

Hundreds and thousands.

Hmm. Realy? Can you provide evidence to support this claim. Perhaps a survey that links the two together, or something?

How about personal experience as well as other ex-high priests and high prietesses that will tell you the same thing?? Will that work for you?

I have never in my life heard of anybody at all deciding that witchcraft is cool based on what they read in a book. It is called "Fantasy" for a reason, and children, even young ones know that Fantasy is just that. Fantastic tales ment to entertain, enspire, and envoke the imagination.

Just because you have never heard of it does not mean that it doesn't exist. Inspire what exactly?? facination in witchcraft as well as spells and such?? Great example for children.

If one is that paranoid, you can just tell them "This is fantasy. It is not real." or your own version that mentions what God says on such matters, and again that it is not real, nor an accurate depiction of reality as reality. I do not think small children understand allegories however.

Well considering that satan's biggest lie is that he himself is nothing but fantasy?? Reality is based on the beholder. There are many out there who say that witchcraft is pure fantasy. Where is the line drawn??

But that is not what you should be telling them. Tell them it is wrong, and that "Fiction" books are just that. Fiction. Fantasy is Fantasy.

Well duh!! But the fact still remains that it is full of witchcraft, what is the lesson?? That witchcraft isn't real?? Or that it is ok as long as it is termed fiction??

Actualy, these authors fruit are entertaining books that enspire creativity and show life lessons...

Creativity and life lessons at any cost??? Is it really necessary to open children's eyes to this? IS this the only way to teach life lessons?

Lessons? Depend on majic. Wonderful lesson

In the LOTR and Potter some knowlege of witchcraft had to be known. Out of your heart your mouth speaks. So if their writings are all about witchcraft, fantasy or not, that will tell you what is in their hearts and where there mind stays.

What are we suppose to think on?

Php 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

The mirror? Enlighten me further. Show me some examples of these books that reflect magic in reality.

Here you go:

http://www.seekgod.ca/hpsymbols.htm

I know. Because in LOTR the only ones to use witchraft are the wizards, who have that ability because they are devine. Just like in real life. And if you try to use magic and are not devine, you get corrupted and turn into a minion of Satan. Just like in real life.

I disagree, but still you just brought up my point with the Potter books and movies.

I do no understand the purpose of this.

Simple, the person who said that Potter books were ok because the majic was used to do good. What is good or right in the eyes of the world doesn't make it good.

Okay. This has what to do with the Fantasy genre? Also, do note that magic users who are not Wiccans exist. There are Arsutru, Satanists in their various forms, Generic Mages, Athiests, and even Christians, or those who say they are anyway. Those who are Christian and do it interpret the Bible differently, and claim to get their power from God. At any rate...yeah, Wiccans are not the only ones, and they are not even the ones anybody should care about.

Really??? I know that there are many more. :emot-highfive: But I try to remember that I am not on one of my boards talking to those who know about these things. No offense to anyone, but I try to have my writing fit the audience. Just because you interchange the paths doesn't take away from the point.

I know that there are some christians and some so called christian practices (contemplative prayer for one) tht are not of God, but that doesn't eliminate the wrongness of these books.

Just because one thing is considered worse than another is no excuse to do it. That was the exact argument I used to keep smoking pot, it's not as bad as drinking.... Didn't make it right no matter how good that sounds.

Imagination is evil? Christ must have been evil then, for putting wonderfull teachings into parable form.

I don't think that Jesus used witchcraft in his parables. Besides, I didn't say that, the bible did:

2 Cor 10:

5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Romans 6:

19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.

21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.

22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 5:

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 1:

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

We sin in our minds before we ever take action.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156414711...=books&v=glance

http://www.greyschool.com/main.asp

Edited by amdntstr

*sigh*

How about personal experience as well as other ex-high priests and high prietesses that will tell you the same thing?? Will that work for you?

No. This is anecdotal evidence. For one, you could be lying. For two, even if you are telling the truth, this hardly shows that "Hundreds of thousands" are flocking towards witchcraft because of some fantasy books.

Just because you have never heard of it does not mean that it doesn't exist. Inspire what exactly?? facination in witchcraft as well as spells and such?? Great example for children.

Inspire you to think about new ideas and things.

Well considering that satan's biggest lie is that he himself is nothing but fantasy?? Reality is based on the beholder. There are many out there who say that witchcraft is pure fantasy. Where is the line drawn??

This is not realy a point, or else, I do not see it. Especialy because of lack of grammatical structure. Your first statement is a fragment afterall.

Well duh!! But the fact still remains that it is full of witchcraft, what is the lesson?? That witchcraft isn't real?? Or that it is ok as long as it is termed fiction??

Periods are your friends. The lessons depends on the book.

And if it is fiction, it realy is not witchcraft. It is not like any magical system in any fiction novel actualy reflects reality in a meaningfull way.

Creativity and life lessons at any cost??? Is it really necessary to open children's eyes to this? IS this the only way to teach life lessons?

Lessons? Depend on majic. Wonderful lesson

Huh? Depend on magic? I assume you mean magic anyway. "Majic" is not anything.

It is entertaining. Better to do it in an entertaining fashion, than to bore you with some story about Peter the wandering Butcher, and his encounters with oversalting.

In the LOTR and Potter some knowlege of witchcraft had to be known. Out of your heart your mouth speaks. So if their writings are all about witchcraft, fantasy or not, that will tell you what is in their hearts and where there mind stays.

What are we suppose to think on?

But that is not what their books are about. A book can not possibly be about that, and be interesting. In writing, your story must be character driven. Everything else is to drive the characters along. A story that is all about witchcraft, would not be read by many people.

Besides, a writer makes things up.

Oops, wrong. I am sorry, but most of these things are either wrong, are purposefull but do not mean anything, or are coincidences. Also, I fear this site makes things up.

Simple, the person who said that Potter books were ok because the majic was used to do good. What is good or right in the eyes of the world doesn't make it good.

Who said this?

The Potter books are good, because they are fantasy. They are good stories. They are fun to read. I could care less about the "majic." (what is majic?)

I honestly think you are far too paranoid.

I am a liar huh??? As well as all those others I have spoken to??? HUmmmm

That is my clue to exit this conversation. There is no need to insult because of differing opinions and if that is how you discuss issues, I will have no part in it.

Have a blessed day.

Deb

I admit, I have been a bit testy in this thread. I apologize.

However, I never called you a liar. I said you could be lying. Which is valid, because you did not offer anything but your own experience that what you say is true, and that hundreds of thousands are flocking towards witchcraft based on a few books. And I have no way to even tell if this realy is your experience. So yes, you could be lying.