seraph

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

I saw the movie and I thought it was excellent. Not many movies bring tears to my eyes, but this one did for a couple reasons: 1) it was so sad to see the parallels between life in a savage tribe and life in my own culture and 2) because of the beauty and power of forgiveness. I liked that the movie was not "preachy," imho emulating 1 John 3:18 (Little children, we must not love in word or speech, but in deed and truth;). The only "issue" I have heard thus far is that the lead actor (I can't recall his name) who plays Steve and Nate Saint, is a gay rights advocate. I didn't know that when I saw the movie, and knowing that now... I would still recommend the movie. Could they have chosen someone less outspoken about supporting something sinful, sure... but even choosing someone less outspoken doesn't make them less a sinner. Perhaps the actor couldn't convey the things that are "spiritually discerned"... but believers already "get that" part and nonbelievers are clueless to it anyway... but the story is about the goodness of God's love and forgiveness- it's not about any particular person "good" or "bad." It would seem having a believer play that part would be a better choice, but we don't know the "bigger picture" and perhaps it was God's will for him to play that part for reasons we will come to know later. And besides... if the Waodani were shown grace, mercy and love by their victims' families, surely those retelling their story should show some grace, mercy and love.