• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

I have stated once before how much I love the Book of Proverbs, because it could well be described as "practical principles to live by".  Through years of reading it I've found within that there are wise sayings that will enrich the lives of all who would apply them to life.  Verse after verse, and chapter after chapter, Proverbs is filled with wisdom-packed lines that warns us of the sinful attitudes and behavior that we are to flee, and the GODly manner of living that we are to embrance.

My favorite chapter is Proverbs 6.  A friend of mine and I were talking about the this chapter because it happens to also be his favorite.  Both of us agree that it is properly cast in the setting of a father (FATHER) teaching a son, a teacher instructing a student....a wise elder giving counsel to a young man.  These were just a few of out thoughts about something that is a much needed element in our society today.  Our communities, families, churches and children would be a lot better if more parents would be diligent in their responsibility to instruct their children in the way of righteousness, AND walk before them in the same.

In the same chapter our FATHER asks us to stay away from what HE hates.  In other words...."do the right thing" when the situation in life, daily/future calls for it.  What is it HE hates?

Pride (arrogance), lying, murder, a wicked heart, the pursuit of evil, lies spread through gossip, and those who stir up confusion among others.  As saints of GOD, whatever HE hates we should stay away from.  An important thing for us to remember and abide by is that, everytime we engage in doing the wrong thing, we lose ground in doing the right thing, and the overall Christian Cause suffers as a result.  Our FATHER expects us to use our energy and efforts to life up CHRIST and uphold Christian principles.  When we do not do the right thing, we make it harder for the next Christian to reach the lost for CHRIST.  Lost sinners are oftentimes hardened against the church and the Gospel message because they keep running into professed Christians who will "talk-the-talk", BUT won't "walk-the-walk"!!

Although we are not perfect, if we will consistently apply GOD's Word to life, HE will, through HIS Word, empower us to do the right things.  HE challenges us, HIS children to do so within HIS structures.  The "proud look" is descriptive of that person who  conceives of him/herself as being above the class of the ordinary persons, and as such does not regard them with that compassion that GOD has demonstrated.  Is this YOU?  I've had to put myself in "check" many times here.  My wife says it best....to be unconcerned about the welfare of others is worse than hatred; hatred implies a particular relationship while unconcern does not.

A lying tongue is a blatant disregard for the truth and is usually predicated on the desire for personal advancement.  In a real sense, one can "shed innocent blood" not only by murder, but also by "character assassination".   How about "a heart that devises wicked imagination"?  Personally, I think this is characteristic of the person who fabricates reality in order to lay the basis for devious behavior.  What about "feet that are swift in running to mischief".  My partner (co-worker) defined this very simply....a person who rejoices in iniquity.

The "false witness that speaks lies" appears to be redundant, BUT in reality points out the necessity for truth as the basis for human relationships; "lies" constitute a deliberate effort to breach the bond that holds persons together as children of GOD.  No one knows how many persons are victims of injustice (perhaps YOU) because of false witnesses in a court of law.  I work for the State Attorney of North Florida.  I see this happen every month.  

The person who "causes discord among the brethren" is one who acts in contradiction to the prayer of JESUS that we "all may be one".  Christians have the antidote to the deliberate actions that are designed to destroy the fellowship of faith.  We are to keep the Word of our FATHER ever before us as a constant and constraining companion.   It is reasonable to assume that we have all been in conversations in which harsh, mean-spirited words have triggered anger, exacerbated hostility, or heightened conflict.

On the other hand, we have also been in conversations when the right words said in the right way cooled down a heated situation/confrontation.  As children of the ALMIGHTY, we should use our words wisely, not as the exception, but as the rule.  Through the years I've found that in order to do this requires prayer, thoughtfulness and discipline.  Not only can our FATHER hear all, but HE can also see all.  Everything we say and do is said and done before GOD.  HE knows our thoughts even before we think them, let alone speak them!  HE knows our deeds even before we play them out.   The old saying, "words can never hurt" is wrong!  Big time wrong!!  Hostile, insensitive, mean-spirited words have injured many good relationships, brought about war where there was peace and caused sadness and emotional grief where there was once joy and happiness.  But as a Christian I've found that while evil, harsh words can cause anger and hurt, gentle and kind words can promote peace, and open the door to constructive communication.  Believe it or not, I'm the peace maker between my wife and I most of the time.  Just like harsh words can injure relationships, the right words said gently and sincerely can repair relationships.

Many broken marriages or friendships could be mended if the person who wronged the other would swallow his/her sinful pride, and say, "I'm sorry".  Been there, done that countless times in the past.  Christian fellowship between brothers/sisters could be restored if, in their conflict, they would let their Christianity "kick in" and make peace with one another by apologizing and getting back on good terms.  I've had to do this many times in my Christian walk, but each time I see the love of CHRIST that much more clearer. *smile*  Reconciliation should be pursued quickly because the longer anger, hostility and bitterness exist the harder it is to make peace, and this does neither party any good.  There is another old saying that goes: "Think before you speak".  I believe the point of this saying is that we should apply wisdom and discipline to our verbal communication.  I know some Christians who take pride in allowing their conversation to be based on the principle: "Whatever comes up, comes out".  To me this means whatever is in their minds will come out of their mouths AS IS!  However, as Christians, we should be so prayerful and disciplined that when we speak, our words will prove becoming of Christians.  Our FATHER wants us to speak prayerfully, thoughtfully, and be led by HIS Spirit.  When we do this, we can glorify GOD and bless those around us.  What we say, and the talk by which we are influenced, will affect our relationships with GOD and others.  That's why we should have an ear for talk that EDIFIES and ENCOURAGES that which is good, just and right; AND NOT entertain gossip, lies, and character assassination from the mouths of others (Matthew 12:36).

The challenge for YOU and I as Christians is to know when to speak, and when to be silent; what to say and what to leave unspoken, as determined by assessing the tone of voice, occasion, subject under discussion, the circumstances and the person(s) involved.  If you're like me you've found that this is not always an easy thing to do because wherein words are vocal sounds, we also speak with body language that is more powerful than the words we say.  As I said earlier in all of this, we MUST be conscious of the fact that the "eyes of the LORD are in every place", and we are held ultimately accountable to HIM.  So we should speak not a word more than is needed, but to fail to speak in a given situation may be just as damaging as saying that which is hurtful, harmful, and demeaning.

GOD is good.....ALL the time!

:thumb:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Wisdom,I can see why you call yourself Wisdom to begin with.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thanks Wisdom, for a great and always-needed message. The Bible has countless verses about the tongue, and the power of our words to heal or destroy, and how we are held accountable for every word that proceeds out of our mouth.  The Book of Proverbs alone has many.  Wow!  Why is it so hard???  I can grasp the concept so easily, oh yeah, speak good,not evil, uplift and edify and still I catch myself being interested in some gossip, or carefully choosing words that speak against someone so it sounds like I'm saying it in a nice way, but really it is not edifying and imparting grace and probably doesn't need to said at all.  Easier to bridle a wild horse than to tame the tongue.  Sometimes the Holy Spirit convicts me even as I am speaking.  And I am at least conscientious about it and it's not a big problem in my life, but one always to be mindful of, but I get around people with unbridled tongues and it really turns me off, and helps me see why the Lord doesn't want us acting that way in His name.  

But really, why do you suppose it is so hard? Do you think anyone really masters this?

Wisdom,I can see why you call yourself Wisdom to begin with.

But really, why do you suppose it is so hard? Do you think anyone really masters this?

First, let's talk about the good thing here....YOU have an honest, true grip on real life.  I commend you.  It is hard.  CHRIST never promised us otherwise.

Many Christians unfortunately have the "Forrest Gump" mentality ("life is like a bowl of cherries") and miss the boat.  There is a real world out here, and we are part of it.  Real people have real problems.  Now what I'm speaking of is every bit Scriptural.  When our LORD told us to take up our "cross", and follow HIM, HE didn't say we wouldn't have problems that would be caused by the things we do/say.  A Christian reaches the crossroad of life when he/she begins to see and question these thing in his/her own life.  That's why I commended you on your honesty about yourself.  I firmly believe it is at this point when GOD begins to truly help us.  It is because we've reached an "fork" by which we can chose to do it HIS way, or continue to stump our growth/maturity by doing it our way.

No, I don't believe anyone masters it because then they would have to depend on GOD, who is the source of our power.  Throughout my life I've said and done things I've immediately (or later) regretted, however,  GOD has used it at some other time in my Christian walk as one of life's lesson plans.  As Christians we are 100% fallible.  YOUR point was well taken concerning the tongue.  The Apostle James (step brother of JESUS) expounds clearly on its dangers, as well as its positives.  Good point.

No, I don't believe anyone masters it because then they would have to depend on GOD, who is the source of our power.

Correction:

"because then they WOULD NOT have to depend on GOD,......"

• 5 months later...

Start your day praising our FATHER for allowing you to see another dawn and end it with thanking HIM for giving you the privilege of providing HIM with servitude.  Read these words and ask HIM each and everyday to continue to order your steps gracefully! :thumb:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Excellent Post!  But God's Wisdom always Is!  I truly appreciate this thread.  

Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.

In His Love,

Suzanne

tsth:

HE is the best DAD in and above the entire universe!  The more I learn from HIM the more appreciative I am for the life I've lived and am being allowed to live.  Each day brings new lesson plans formulated to make/shape me and you into the image of the LORD JESUS CHRIST.  I'm thankful that HE called me and I heard HIM.  Now, it is imperative that I follow HIS call.

What about You??! :rofl:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

Yes, Wisdom, He is the Best Dad, and yes, I too follow Jesus Christ.

:rofl:

In His Love,

Suzanne