• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/02/1960

I grew up being taught that it was sin to work on Sunday, and that if you worked on Sunday, you were "a sinner". I've learned better since I've gotten out of that legalistic environment.

In these times, with most businesses being seven-day-a-week business, this is sometimes hard to avoid. Census figures in the US show that 20 to 23 percent of workers work non-traditional (Mon thru Friday, dayshift) jobs. We have several people in our church membership that have to work on Sundays on a rotational basis, and some have to work every Sunday.

Mark 2:27 says "The sabbeth was made for man, and not man for the sabbath". I personally interpret that as follows. The practice of taking a 'sabbeth' was for the benefit of man... to give his body that day of rest each week. The second part of that verse says, "and NOT man for the sabbath". Man is NOT to be slave to the sabbath. The 'sabbath rule' was made for OUR benefit. God designed our bodies, and He knows that our bodies need proper rest.

It IS good to gather as believers to worship together, and the sabbath is the best choice of days, to do so. Granted... we should be in an attitude of worship as much as feasibly possible. Worship of God is not restricted to only one day a week. Worship to me is a 'charging of my batteries'.

I have friends who work Sunday thru Thursday. Saturday is their 'day of sabbath' when they relax and recharge and focus on God and his goodness.

This should probably be another thread but I'm gonna bring it up here because this is where the problem is happening.

This young person has already stated that they have a conviction about desiring to honor the Lord on the Sabbath. I'd like to point out a verse that means the exact opposite of what they are teaching you in church.

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Arthur, (and the rest of you).... are you judging this young saint by insisting that Sunday is the Lord's Day? There is no way you can prove by scripture that Sunday has superceded the Sabbath, so what is the point of saying that?

No one is judging you for observing the cultural christian tradition of going to church on Sunday so it is wrong of you to judge another brother who has a different conviction.

This youth did not ask whether you approve of them observing the Sabbath. He only asked for advice in dealing with his parents and their contempt for his conviction. Answer that...or just be quiet, ok?

sheesh.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

I say,

(Actually God said it first)--Whatsoever you find to do, do it with all your might as unto God.

Now, that is just easy, isn't it? You must honor your parents and I'm sure they wont mind if you do your chores a day earlier.

Blessings :blink:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I live with my parents since I am going through college still...and they expect me to do my share in chores in exchange, and I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is that they keep asking me to do most of my chores on the sabbeth. Now, I tell them that I would be perfectly happy to do it any other day, but they keep insisting. They are Christians and they know WHY this bothers me, but they just don't seem to care.

I know I have to honor my father and mother, but I also know I must keep the Sabbeth holy. What should I do?

What is your take on work on the Sabbeth?

from where i stand and in my understanding of the Holy Bible and the teachings of our lord Jesus, you are under grace, not the law. we are not bound to one specific day of the week to honor God, we meet him in prayer and study daily and talk with him throughout the day. just as we are not bound to the mosaic laws that prevented the jews from eating pork, we are not bound to the sabbath, as we are not bound to all of the various sabbaths and the mandated feasts and old testament laws. the commandants were to prove to us that none of us could live a holy, pure or sanctified life by the law, it has always been impossible. only through Jesus can we hope and believe that we would ever reach heaven. through his life and sacrifice i now know i will be in heaven, and look to the day. so in the teachings of the Lord the sabbath is not a mandate on those of us under grace.

your brother in Christ

dan (dakota190)