• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Hello dear brothers and sisters,

These are just meditations on the meaning and purpose of prophecy. Feel free to comment or ask questions. I believe this is the time to start recognizing such a thing. The Lord is moving and we need to know exactly where He is leading and what He is doing. Let us walk the narrow path with the Word lighting each step of the way. In prayer and mediation on the Word may we receive a vision. May we then find understanding in this vision.

Here are some lessons on prophecy I'm receiving from brother Job Anbalagan Glory of His Cross...

Biblically speaking, the term "prophecy" covers the following:

- Revelation of God and His salvation plan

- Revelation of divine secrets/future events

- Condemnation of sins and iniquities

- Pronouncement of divine judgment on sins and iniquities

- Divine comfort

- Divine guidance

- Divine promises

- Conveying of timely messages of God

The Bible is a book of prophecy. One may normally tend to believe that the word "prophecy" in the Bible means only prediction of the future. It is not so because it performs all the above functions.

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" (II Pet.1:21).

The Bible Prophecy was revealed in the Old Testament by the Holy Ghost through the holy prophets. We tend to think that the prophecies came forth only through the prophetic books like Isaiah, Jeremiah, etc. It is not so. We should bear in mind that the prophecies started flowing forth right from the Garden of Eden. In the third chapter of the Book of Genesis, God cursed the serpent and pronounced judgment on Eve and Adam. These were the words of prophecy which came directly from the mouth of God.

Prophecy is not just "prediction of future events" as denoted in the dictionary but covers a lot more for us in the Church. The entire Bible as well is a book of prophecy. These can be prophecies for us relating to our current situation. Prophecy encompass revelations in the Word, condemnation, comfort, guidance, promises, and timely messages for the Church.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just amazing to me how people don't know the meaning of prophecy. (Not talking specifically about you though, felix. This topic has been coming up a lot lately)

Prophecy is simply this:

Speaking for God to the people.

That could mean a foretelling of events but that is not necessarily the purpose of prophecy.

Whenever you are witnessing you are prophecying. Whenever you are advising your children on how to follow the Lord, you are prophecying. Whenever you are telling a co-worker the will of God on a matter, you are prophecying.

Seeking a word on the future is more closely associated with witchcraft.

Be very careful when a "prophet" starts telling you the future.

99.999% of the time they are not speaking for God.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  269
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

My understanding of the gift of prophecy is the ability to bring forth God's truth as written in His Word. That means it is not new imformation but rather the Holy Spirit's prompting the person to speak from the Word at the appointed time as directed by the Father.

Rania

Edited by Rania

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  269
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

And a big AMEN! to everything yod said above. :rolleyes:

hello yod,

That's right...what prophesying comes down to is simply speaking for the Lord or speaking forth the Lord. However, this is very general and is not enough for us to recognize prophecy more deeply. There is a settle difference between prophesying and prophecy. The objective here is to recognize what PROPHECY is. There is a clear distinction between exhortation, encouragement, teaching, word of knowledge, and prophecy. It is in this time now that I think recognizing prophecy is needed.

Yod, I don't think it's quite right to say that "this is not the purpose of prophecy". There is actually a thread started by brother Rod here entitled "Purpose of Prophecy" for more info.

Prediction of the future is a more miraculous aspect of prophecy but is not associated with witchcraft. In fact, it is the least harmful because it can be tested by EVERYONE. Simply seeing if it comes true or not is a test. People are confused about this aspect....many people say this is harmful. If it is wrong how can it harm us? If it motivates us to repent and seek God then what harm has it done us if it is not true?

Rather what is harmful is the other aspects as you have mentioned yod....

"Whenever you are witnessing you are prophecying. Whenever you are advising your children on how to follow the Lord, you are prophecying. Whenever you are telling a co-worker the will of God on a matter, you are prophecying."

If we are not right with the Lord in Spirit this is more harmful than prediction of future events.

Also yod, you mentioned

"Be very careful when a "prophet" starts telling you the future.

99.999% of the time they are not speaking for God."

Please tell me how you know this.

My understanding of the gift of prophecy is the ability to bring forth God's truth as written in His Word. That means it is not new imformation but rather the Holy Spirit's prompting the person to speak from the Word at the appointed time as directed by the Father.

Rania

Hello Rania,

That's exactly right. Prophecy in no means can add or take away from the Word. It ALWAYS confirms it.

Guest servant2yeshua

Rania

Hello Rania,

That's exactly right. Prophecy in no means can add or take away from the Word. It ALWAYS confirms it.

Good topic and yes you have to really follow the Holy Spirit in this matter like everything else in the world:) :24:

Yod, I don't think it's quite right to say that "this is not the purpose of prophecy". There is actually a thread started by brother Rod here entitled "Purpose of Prophecy" for more info.

nothing personal brother Rod or brother felix...but I'll get my definition from the Bible instead of a thread on the internet.

2 Peter 1:20

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Revelation 19:10

I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Prediction of the future is a more miraculous aspect of prophecy but is not associated with witchcraft. In fact, it is the least harmful because it can be tested by EVERYONE. Simply seeing if it comes true or not is a test. People are confused about this aspect....many people say this is harmful. If it is wrong how can it harm us?

Are you kidding? How many people moved with Jim Jones to Gyhana? How many died in Waco with Koresh? I could get writers cramp typing how many abuses happen because of a false vision from a "prophet".

How many poor and old people lose their life savings to "prophets" of today?

It is a wicked and evil generation (people group) who seeketh after a sign.

I'm sorry...but the portion of the church that is seeking after signs has missed the point.

If it motivates us to repent and seek God then what harm has it done us if it is not true?

You want to know the future? Everything you need to know is in the Bible. Should the Lord choose to tell you anything else, you will know it. There is no need to seek the false prophets of today.

Hear what I am not saying. There are prophets among the body...but I doubt you would know their names.

Rather what is harmful is the other aspects as you have mentioned yod....

"Whenever you are witnessing you are prophecying. Whenever you are advising your children on how to follow the Lord, you are prophecying. Whenever you are telling a co-worker the will of God on a matter, you are prophecying."

If we are not right with the Lord in Spirit this is more harmful than prediction of future events.

How is witnessing of salvation, teaching your kids, or prophecying to a co-worker harmful?

Telling them lies that are based on dreams is MUCH more harmful, imo.

Also yod, you mentioned

Name a single "prophet" of today who has never been wrong.

Go ahead...I dare ya.

I don't know how to quote people with that quote thing so it's messy but just try to read it. I am trying the quotes now...

You are very confused about what a prophet of today is; it is NOTHING like the OLD TESTAMENT PROPHETS. But before I touch on that let me reply to your responses....

Felix said...Yod, I don't think it's quite right to say that "this is not the purpose of prophecy". There is actually a thread started by brother Rod here entitled "Purpose of Prophecy" for more info.

Yod replies...nothing personal brother Rod or brother felix...but I'll get my definition from the Bible instead of a thread on the internet.

2 Peter 1:20

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Revelation 19:10

I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Well, the thread does contain Biblical references. Saying something like this is like saying "I'll grow and learn in Jesus but I will not listen to what other people say since I have my bible. " That means you have no need of going to church or having coporate bible study right?

Felix said...Prediction of the future is a more miraculous aspect of prophecy but is not associated with witchcraft. In fact, it is the least harmful because it can be tested by EVERYONE. Simply seeing if it comes true or not is a test. People are confused about this aspect....many people say this is harmful. If it is wrong how can it harm us?

Yod replies...Are you kidding? How many people moved with Jim Jones to Gyhana? How many died in Waco with Koresh? I could get writers cramp typing how many abuses happen because of a false vision from a "prophet".

How many poor and old people lose their life savings to "prophets" of today?

It is a wicked and evil generation (people group) who seeketh after a sign.

I'm sorry...but the portion of the church that is seeking after signs has missed the point.

Yod, you are confused about this....did these people die because these "prophets" predicted the future or because they told them to DO SOMETHING?

Now refer to the next response.....

Felix said...Rather what is harmful is the other aspects as you have mentioned yod....

Yod replies...How is witnessing of salvation, teaching your kids, or prophecying to a co-worker harmful?

Telling them lies that are based on dreams is MUCH more harmful, imo.

....Are you not TELLING people what TO DO here???? Wasn't it that the people who died under Jim Jones or Gyhana obeyed what Jim or Gyhana told them??? Didn't these people Do what they were TOLD to do....witnessing (giving a testimony to the truth), advising on how you should follow (to follow...), telling the will of God....are these not telling people what to do whereas telling a future event is just that...telling a future event?

felix said...Also yod, you mentioned

Yod replies...Name a single "prophet" of today who has never been wrong.

Go ahead...I dare ya.

Finally This shows me that you still lack knowledge of the gift of prophecy.

Firstly, no prophet of today can be infalliable. In fact, I was just about to type that when replying to Rania. This was what I was about to write but got lazy and stopped....well, I guess it's for this purpose...

The Old Testament Prophets were different from the NT prophets in that they were infalliable in their speaking. There Words made up the Bible. Today the prophets Words are not on the same level as the bible in that it can add or take away from the Word.

Yod, today...prophets do not need to be named nor must they be 100% infalliable. And I know a prophet by name...Job Anabalagan...but he is just another servant of Christ like me. Neither of us are infalliable.

felix said...If it motivates us to repent and seek God then what harm has it done us if it is not true?

Yod replies...You want to know the future? Everything you need to know is in the Bible. Should the Lord choose to tell you anything else, you will know it. There is no need to seek the false prophets of today.

Hear what I am not saying. There are prophets among the body...but I doubt you would know their names.

"Everything we need to know is in the bible..." I touched on this matter in some thread here. Can't remember where...i'll put it here when i find it.

"hear what I am not saying. There are prophets among the body...but I doubt you would know their names." I agree. But why are you saying that to me? Why would I want to know their names? The prophet of today does not really need to claim that he is a prophet of God. He is just part of the body of Christ.

The Old Testament Prophets were different from the NT prophets

the division of the Bible into separate series of books is a hellenistic concept which I reject.

The use of the word "testament" also implies a theological viewpoint which is inconsistant with the Bible. There is only a newer "covenant" and it is made with Israel.

The implication that something of the character of prophets and prophecy has changed by virtue of the gospel going into all the nations is also a concept which I reject.

in that they were infalliable in their speaking. There Words made up the Bible. Today the prophets Words are not on the same level as the bible in that it can add or take away from the Word.

not exactly sure what you mean by that...but prophecy, ESPECIALLY if it is to foretell of coming events, is either the Word of God or witchcraft from a medium.

Yod, today...prophets do not need to be named nor must they be 100% infalliable.

but God is.

If they claim to speak for Him, they'd better be 100% accurate.

"Everything we need to know is in the bible..." I touched on this matter in some thread here. Can't remember where...i'll put it here when i find it.

I didn't say that.

I said if you want to know the future...all you need to know is in the Bible.

There are prophets among the body...but I doubt you would know their names." I agree. But why are you saying that to me? Why would I want to know their names? The prophet of today does not really need to claim that he is a prophet of God. He is just part of the body of Christ.

that's right. There are no super-saints.