IGNORED

"Yahu" to "Yah"

Zildja

All this is fascinating, but I have just one simple question:

From the earliest available scriptures, what is the given name of my meshiach???

Yeshua ben Yosef Natzrit

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

All this is fascinating, but I have just one simple question:

From the earliest available scriptures, what is the given name of my meshiach???

Yeshua ben Yosef Natriz

Jesus, son of Joseph of Nazareth???

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

ci ci, senor :24:

except for the typo. The corrected version is;

Yeshua ben Yosef Natzrit

Okay except its Senora! :blink:

Guest NewPilgrim

Thankyou :noidea: And perhaps someone can explain to me in SIMPLE terms, not being a hebrew scholar myself, why Yah'shuah is not the correct way of writing his name and why Yeshua is? or vice versa? I dont want arguments, just a simple statement please.

Edited by NewPilgrim

Yah'shuah (or whatever) is not a hebrew word or name.

Yeshua is a common word and used to be a common name in hebrew.

Is 12:3 Therefore you will joyously draw water from the springs of salvation (yeshua).

Guest shiloh357
Thankyou :noidea: And perhaps someone can explain to me in SIMPLE terms, not being a hebrew scholar myself, why Yah'shuah is not the correct way of writing his name and why Yeshua is? or vice versa? I dont want arguments, just a simple statement please.

Yod is correct. The Name "Yahshuah" does not exist. It is a Name that was fabricated by the Sacred Name movement here in the United States back around 1936. There is no record of it in antiquity.

Guest NewPilgrim

Again thanks. Are there any scriptures that refer to him as Yeshua in their original text? (ie Hebraic prophecy or Greek testament) As far as I know the NT calls him Iesous, which doesnt make life any easier in terms of finding such a reference.

Also I'd like to ask; is it possible to "work backwards" in order to accurately translate his name from greek back to the original hebrew? And would such a method translate "Iesous" into "Yeshua"?

Guest shiloh357
Again thanks. Are there any scriptures that refer to him as Yeshua in their original text? (ie Hebraic prophecy or Greek testament) As far as I know the NT calls him Iesous, which doesnt make life any easier in terms of finding such a reference.

Also I'd like to ask; is it possible to "work backwards" in order to accurately translate his name from greek back to the original hebrew? And would such a method translate "Iesous" into "Yeshua"?

I hope this helps. I got some time back from the American Messianich Fellowship International website. It is countering the false claims by most of the Sacred Name movement that the Name Jesus comes from the word Zeus. It also gives a basic etymology of the Name Jesus.

"The name Jesus is simply the result of passing the name "Yeshua" through the filter of several languages. It is not a Greek name at all, and has nothing to do with Zeus. In fact, these two names are spelled and pronounced quite distinctly in Greek. The word yeshuah is Hebrew for "salvation," and the Greek New Testament tells us he was given the name because he would "save his people from their sins."(Matthew 1:21) Since the Greek language has no equivalent of the "sh" sound and Greek grammar expects an "os" ending for masculine singular nouns in the nominative case, Yeshua becomes Yesous or Iesous. The "ou" is pronounced "oo" as in "spook" so the same name in Latin is spelled Iesus (or later Jesus), and pronounced "Yay-soos." (The letter "J" was originally just a variant of the letter "I"). Since writing was introduced to western Europe via the Roman Church, the Latin Bible with its Latin spelling was brought into those countries along with the Latin alphabet. However, pronunciation of the Latin letters varies among the different languages, so in English Jesus is pronounced "Gee-zuss," in Spanish it

Guest NewPilgrim

Thanks shiloh. I learned the elementary principles of all this a few years ago when I was saved and I have to say I was personally disheartened to learn that I had not been giving Yeshua his proper name. I was told however that both Yeshua and Yahshuah were variants of the same name and both pronounced the same and equally valid (like Jonathan and Johnathon). All things being equal, I just want to be able to call my saviour by his given name in full confidence. As much as I agree with you and others that "Jesus" is not the work of conspiracy, nevertheless I'd prefer not to use it myself, sinceI would like to think that in 2000 years time, people will still still refer to me as "NewPilgrim" and not a distant translation of it. I simply wish to afford my saviour the same consideration.