• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  377
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1977

What would have happened to the prodigal if he had died before he realized his error? Dieing as a slave in such a far off land, his father would never have been aware of his death, would he?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Sonship is what determines relationship. Fellowship is very conditional at times. When the son was in the far country the fellowship was broken. The parable points to the character of the father who met him at the gate, suggesting that he never gave up on the wayward son. The immaturity of the son at home proves he was not in intimate fellowship with the father and he never went anywhere. But the one that came home was now in close fellowship with the Father. His failure led to a greater understanding of the character and intimacy desired by his dad. The issue of the difference between relationship and fellowship is where most take the wrong road of interpreting Scripture. My Father would never disown me but my behavior can cost me close fellowship with Him. He will chastise me and allow me to venture into the far country, to teach me what lostness feels like, but He restoreth my soul.

Edited by David from New Bern

In Romans 1:19 it says that God abandons those that turn away from Him. I have known at least two people who were spirit-filled Christians, but due to some problems in their lives, chose to turn away from God. They simply refused to give that part of their life to God, even though they had surrendered all of their life to that point. Romans 8:9 says that those that do not have the Holy Spirit are not Christians at all. Is it possible to empty oneself of the Holy Spirit? From personal experience I would have to say yes.

To the original question $0.50, proof of being filled with the Holy Spirit are the "fruits of the Spirit" listed in Gal 5:22. You can certainly be assured of your salvation, even if you do not hold strictly to OSAS. Remember that "better is one day in His courts than thousands elsewhere". That is enough in itself to cause us to witness to others.

Hey serotta,

I just have a question for you. How do you know that those people that you mentioned were actually Born Again Christians? Maybe they were just working so hard to earn their way in to Heaven? That is why you thought they were Spirit filled. Maybe they never had the Holy Spirit in them to begin with?

I am positive of my salvation. I remember coming to Jesus through faith 10 years ago. I asked Him to save me. By faith I prayed something like this: Dear Jesus, I am a sinner. I need your forgiveness. I believe that you died on the cross so that I

can be forgiven. Please come into my heart and save me. Help me to live my life for you. Thank You for loving me and saving me. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

When I first got saved I was full of joy. I learned so much from the Christian Radio station. As time moved on I slowly fell away from God. I tried to live the Christian life my way without remaining in the Vine. I had no joy as I was apart from God. My point is that The Holy Spirit was still with me. He continued to convict me of my sins. People probably looked at me saying that jerk isn't a Christian. But I was even though the fruit probably wasn't evident. God convicted me years later that I could not live the Christian life on my own. It is just impossible to bear fruit without remaining in the Vine. I was still a "Born Again" child of God on my way to heaven but couldn't bear fruit because I was trying to live the Christian life on my own. By God's Grace I have been in the Vine for the last month and pray that I remain there. That is what the Christian life is all about.

My friends mom probably is not a Christian. She appeared to be bearing fruit years ago. At church she played the piano and smiled. She was so friendly but as time went on she quit going and is miserable now. She is a wretched woman. The point is not all who appear to be bearing fruit are Christians. Just because you don't bear fruit doesn't mean your are not a Christian because I was living proof of that. The Holy Spirit is the mark of a "true" Christian. The fruit isn't the mark.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/20/1959

50_Cent's_dog,

I wish SteveHut was around to help with this. One must be very careful about saying that one can be spirit filled but bear no fruit. Rom 8:9 says we are controlled by the spirit if the spirit is in us, and Gal 5:22 makes it clear what the fruits of the spirit are. James tells us that faith without works is dead, and Christ killed the fig tree that bore no fruit. While justification can be a moment and sanctification is certainly an ongoing process, sanctification begins the moment we are justified. If one is not progressing in some way or another, how can one be sure that he is justified (saved)? I am very glad that you heeded God's call to come back to Him. Praise the Lord for His grace!

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

50_Cent's_dog,

I wish SteveHut was around to help with this. One must be very careful about saying that one can be spirit filled but bear no fruit. Rom 8:9 says we are controlled by the spirit if the spirit is in us, and Gal 5:22 makes it clear what the fruits of the spirit are. James tells us that faith without works is dead, and Christ killed the fig tree that bore no fruit. While justification can be a moment and sanctification is certainly an ongoing process, sanctification begins the moment we are justified. If one is not progressing in some way or another, how can one be sure that he is justified (saved)? I am very glad that you heeded God's call to come back to Him. Praise the Lord for His grace!

Don't mean to interrupt this OSAS debate but back to the OP

The gospel has it's own power. Just delivering a message that guilt is taken away by trusting the Lord can change one's life forever.

...whether the messenger is saved or not.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Don't mean to interrupt this OSAS debate but back to the OP

The gospel has it's own power. Just delivering a message that guilt is taken away by trusting the Lord can change one's life forever.

...whether the messenger is saved or not.

Amen!!!!

Paul said the same thing:

What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice, yes, and I will rejoice.

Philippians 1:18 NASB

I'll give that an amen too!

50_Cent's_dog,

The point is that no one has to "win" dog. You are worrying over a doctrinal issue, that is mostly semmantical anyway. Focus on what is important. Share the difference that Christ makes in your life. Share the wonders of God's grace.