• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

'Back conservation, eat a squirrel', British lawmakers told

British politicians were urged to eat grey squirrels as part of a radical plan to prevent the indigenous red variety of the species from disappearing.

The animal, made famous by the Squirrel Nutkin character in author Beatrix Potter's illustrated children's books, once thrived in Britain but is now battling for survival as imported North American greys run rampant.

The unusual conservation method was proposed during a debate on the subject in Britain's unelected upper chamber, the House of Lords.

Lord Richard Inglewood, the patron of conservation group Red Alert North-West, which works to save red squirrel populations in Potter's native Lake District, said action was needed soon to save Squirrel Nutkin's mates from being wiped out.

"What about celebrity chefs like Jamie Oliver promoting it for school dinners?" he asked.

"Indeed the House (parliamentary) authorities could put it on the menu here.

"I must confess that I have never actually eaten a grey squirrel... but I am prepared to give it a go."

Inglewood said he wanted to invite government agriculture ministers to dinner with grey squirrel on the menu.

He said there was little difference between eating squirrels and the "entirely loveable" other creatures that end up on the dinner plate.

"More importantly it's not only me that's going to feel let down. It's going to be the red squirrels too. Unless something radical and imaginative is done Squirrel Nutkin and his friends are going to be toast," he added.

The grey squirrel was introduced into Britain from North America in the late nineteenth century and has driven out the native red squirrel in many parts of the country.

They are largely responsible for the red squirrel's decline because they are stronger and more adaptable. They also carry the Squirrelpox virus, lethal to reds.

The grey population is thought to number around two million while under 200,000 reds are thought to be left, around three-quarters of them in Scotland.

(Yahoo, AFP) Link here