• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

We receive the love of the Father vetically, but we prove our grasp of it horizontally...Prove you understand and value what you received when you received forgiveness by giving to someone else. Our worship means only as much as our practice or obedience to spiritual commands.

Guest Daave

Good stuff all around as far as answers go in this thread. The portion quoted reminds me of the section in 1John 4:20:

20. If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

Jesus is letting us know that the heart is exposed by our actions.

Daave

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

good response now part 2 this passage that i still don't think I understand is

23"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

what is the gift that I bring before the altar? and the gift I offer to my brother when I reconcile with him/ her?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

23"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

what is the gift that I bring before the altar? and the gift I offer to my brother when I reconcile with him/ her?

So Samuel said:

So Samuel said:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/05/1967

Well for Christians what is our sacrifice to God? and what is our altar?

Hebrews 13:

10 We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.

11 For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.

12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

13 Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

14 For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

Altar (from strong's biblical concordence)

the altar for slaying and burning of victims used of

the altar of whole burnt offerings which stood in the court of the priests in the temple at Jerusalem

the altar of incense which stood in the sanctuary or the Holy Place

any other altar

metaph., the cross on which Christ suffered an expiatory death: to eat of this altar i.e. to appropriate to one's self the fruits of Christ's expiatory death

Hope this helps.

Guest jckduboise

Perhaps the gift is your heart to the Lord? The gift you offer to your brother would of course be your acknowledgment of your transgression of him..seeking forgiveness from another is a huge gift that we give whom we have harmed but it is also a gift to ourselves. There is nothing better than having a clean conscience and being able to look someone in the eye. To humble ourselves before the Lord is very rewarding.

Hebrews 13:

10 We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.

11 For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.

12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

13 Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach.

14 For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.

15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

16 But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

Altar (from strong's biblical concordence)

the altar for slaying and burning of victims used of

the altar of whole burnt offerings which stood in the court of the priests in the temple at Jerusalem

the altar of incense which stood in the sanctuary or the Holy Place

any other altar

metaph., the cross on which Christ suffered an expiatory death: to eat of this altar i.e. to appropriate to one's self the fruits of Christ's expiatory death

Hope this helps.

I don't even think you answered your own question?

The altar you define is something which we put an animal sacrifice on? I understand how to give an animal sacrifice but I don't believe that is what we as Christians sacrifice today? I also understand that Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice for our sins.

:thumbsup: so we no longer use the altars of biblical times anymore, what would or where would I consider my altar to be? Also, what is it that I can put on the sacrifice as a gift to let you know I'm sorry for causing harm or wrong doings unto you? and once I DO that I have to give my sacrifice to you or present you with a gift?