• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Then do you believe these psalms represent reflective writings after David's experience, or do you believe this is indicative of a mature David looking at his life's situation only through the eyes of the Lord and writing under full inspiration only the heart of God on the matter at hand?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Then do you believe these psalms represent reflective writings after David's experience, or do you believe this is indicative of a mature David looking at his life's situation only through the eyes of the Lord and writing under full inspiration only the heart of God on the matter at hand?

David had more than one experience. He wrote during periods of trial, as well as in victory, and also more restful, 'normal' periods. One might suppose that he normally walked with God, thinking His thoughts, and only occasionally strayed.

Edited by pointer

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

David had more than one experience. He wrote during periods of trial, as well as in victory, and also more restful, 'normal' periods. One might suppose that he normally walked with God, thinking His thoughts, and only occasionally strayed.

You are right about multiple experiences...I intended of speaking in plurality but I didn't clearly communicate I was referencing Psalm 140, what the background on this one is unknown. But the imprecation is the strongest here in this context. Do you really believe that David kinda floated above these situations and only occassionally strayed. Is that belief of preference or is it based on something you have read in Scripture. Or, was he like a lot of creative types with relationship difficulties always in trouble somewhere?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

My question would be, can we find in the Bible how God answered those prayers. Did he follow through and do as David prayed?

I have always seen those prayers as an example of the fact that we can pour out our heart to God no matter how we feel. I have dealt with so many people who are afraid to tell God how angry they are in a given situation. Like God won't love them anymore if they are hating someone who has grievously harmed them. (As if God doesn't already know what is in our hearts.) I have often pointed to these prayers to assure people in the throes of emotion, that God knows us, loves us, and wants us to throw EVERY care upon Him.. When we acknowledge our anger and hurt to ourselves as well as to God, He will begin the process of directing those emotions.

I am not doubting anything that has been said above. I just also think that they were put there to show us that even David, a man after God's own heart, had these emotions.

The Bible is the most objective book written. God doesn't try to cover up or 'prettify' anything. The facts are laid out. What happened, good or bad, is written. That sometimes causes people to go "Wow, what an awful religion..." I have seen so many atheists quote Psalm 137:9 as though that condemns God as a murderer. But that is a prayer, it is anger being expressed. Did God follow through and begin "dashing" the little ones of Babylon against the stones?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

My question would be, can we find in the Bible how God answered those prayers. Did he follow through and do as David prayed?

Indeed we can. David died at a ripe age, as King of Israel, on his bed. Who else did so? Only his son, Solomon "in all his glory", though even that condition was ephemeral. Unlike Solomon, David was loved and blessed by God, and was loved by his people, and honoured for all time- and he only a shepherd boy when Samuel looked for a successor to Saul. His name is found in Scripture from then on right up to the very last words of Revelation. David completed what Joshua (Jesus) had begun, the conquest of the Promised Land. All his enemies were routed, and his son was able to build the Temple and reign in peace, with tribute coming in from many surrounding countries. There was no-one like David.

Did God follow through and begin "dashing" the little ones of Babylon against the stones?

God had already done that to the offspring of his enemies. The alternative was to leave these children to starve or die of exposure, the brutal practice in the Roman Empire when disposing of surplus children, even in peacetime.