• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I think it's sin leading to disease. I do believe that some people may need to be in therapy etc. for the rest of their lives because of it. If it keeps them from sinning, I think they, as Christians struggling with this stronghold-disease, have the responsability to accept that kind of treatment if at all possible.

Genetics come into play in addiction diseases in a lot of ways. They have found, for instance, that in certain Native groups there is actually a gene that causes certain amounts of alcohol in their system to have a cocaine-like effect in its addictive strength. This is one of the reasons rates of alcoholism an be so high among certain native groups. Many people also have addictive personalities, which come down through the generations ("sins of the father...", is my guess). I have an ex who had that issue. The thing is, these things are all controllable, and I think it is sin to not make every effort to treat both the causes of the addiction and the addiction itself.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jckduboise
I think it's sin leading to disease. I do believe that some people may need to be in therapy etc. for the rest of their lives because of it. If it keeps them from sinning, I think they, as Christians struggling with this stronghold-disease, have the responsability to accept that kind of treatment if at all possible.

Genetics come into play in addiction diseases in a lot of ways. They have found, for instance, that in certain Native groups there is actually a gene that causes certain amounts of alcohol in their system to have a cocaine-like effect in its addictive strength. This is one of the reasons rates of alcoholism an be so high among certain native groups. Many people also have addictive personalities, which come down through the generations ("sins of the father...", is my guess). I have an ex who had that issue. The thing is, these things are all controllable, and I think it is sin to not make every effort to treat both the causes of the addiction and the addiction itself.

"these things are all controllable"..who's point of view is that from?

does this point of view come from the non-addicted person..or from the person who has lived IN addiction? :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I think man calls it disease and God calls it a generational curse. A generational curse means that past generations were prone to the same sin, maybe just a different form.

I think 'choice' seperates addiction from being a disease.

Guest jckduboise
I think man calls it disease and God calls it a generational curse. A generational curse means that past generations were prone to the same sin, maybe just a different form.

Where does that thought come from..."choice" separates addiction from being a disease?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I am trying to keep up but I think I got lost... :o

an addiction is a dependancey on something...caused by sin

I chose to drink or do drugs no matter my genes...

I can overcome any desire of my flesh nature in Christ Jesus....

a disease is an illness...like the flu...or liver disease..I did not choose that...

If I am have a desire to do something that is addictive I can just say no..

If I have an illness I do not have that choice...Pray for healing...

If there is something in me or my genes that wants something that is going to lead to disease I tell it NO...and it is my choice...

What am I missing in the conversation... :emot-hug:

or is this what is being said and I just needed to put it in my own words for it ot be clear to me what you are saying about disease and addiction and choice..... :thumbsup:

Guest jckduboise
I am trying to keep up but I think I got lost... :emot-dance:

an addiction is a dependancey on something...caused by sin

I chose to drink or do drugs no matter my genes...

I can overcome any desire of my flesh nature in Christ Jesus....

a disease is an illness...like the flu...or liver disease..I did not choose that...

If I am have a desire to do something that is addictive I can just say no..

If I have an illness I do not have that choice...Pray for healing...

If there is something in me or my genes that wants something that is going to lead to disease I tell it NO...and it is my choice...

What am I missing in the conversation... :thumbsup:

or is this what is being said and I just needed to put it in my own words for it ot be clear to me what you are saying about disease and addiction and choice..... :o

you have the gist. yeah :emot-hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,026
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Where does that thought come from..."choice" separates addiction from being a disease?

What I mean is, we don't choose to get cancer, heart disease, parkinsons, etc... But there is choice involved in alcoholism or drug additcion therefore it would seem ridiculous to call them diseases.

I agree they cause diseases, but of themselves are not a disease.

Guest jckduboise

There are differences in your opinion by both Medical Science and Phsyciatric.

There is a claimed genetic predisposition to all of the diseases you mentioned including addictions. Most people are just as ignorant about their predisposition of addiction as they are the other diseases and certain things they do (usually lifestyle choice) leads to the symptoms of the predisposed disease rearing it's ugly head. So it is already present its just dormant and has not gained all of its elements to be the disease.

In each of these we are given choices as you say and those choices lead to the disease and its symptoms.

I do believe that they are all curable however by allowing the Great Physician and Counselor heal them.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Disease is the "result" of sinful behavior.

Are we talking about other things such as cancer, ms, that too or is this just about addictions?

Guest jckduboise

Disease is the "result" of sinful behavior.

Are we talking about other things such as cancer, ms, that too or is this just about addictions?

Addictions. the question is addiction disease or sin...I say that it is both..the addiction is disease and the disease leads to many sins..copius amounts of sin...