• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

i got a question... what are atheists doing on a christian bulletinboard? ;)

Perhaps trying to prove tha bsence of their faith. :blink:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  02/21/1986

I'm an interested party asking questions in the name of friendly debate and intellectual stimulation :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

i got a question... what are atheists doing on a christian bulletinboard? :emot-highfive:

It is accepted under the guise that we should be "Christ minded" and open. But it's more so that worldy intellectuals and non-believers can come here to stimulate the minds of those Christians here who need to "debate and intellectualize" matters of faith, even at the cost of having Christ (and God quite often) openly renounced. If they came seeking CHRIST I could see this position being valid, but most only come to "debate" with Christians and try to find faults in our faith.

I'm an interested party asking questions in the name of friendly debate and intellectual stimulation :thumbsup:
Need I repeat myself?

Not seeking Christ but openly renouncing Christ for "intellectual" stimulation.

1 John 1:5,6

5 And this is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

-CC-

Edited by Crusader for Christ

Crusader:

Many Christians go into the world and try to engage non-believers in secular situations; perhaps at work or among friends, or when doing their task for their church. Often, they're doing no more than trying to educate the general populace as to what Christianity - and being a Christian - is about, to fight negative stereotypes and correct assumptions. In the process, interesting dialouge comes about, and both parties benefit. Why, then, is such issue taken when non-Christians seek to do the same?

• Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

And I admire secondeve's intellectual honesty. Don't CLAIM to be convinced, if you're not convinced. It is important to be honest with yourself.

I don't know, Leonard. For me, "being honest with myself" means being willing to realize that there are powers greater than I - including a power that can deceive me because I'm not the be-all and end-all of everything. It means being willing to realize that "truth" does not lie with me nor can I make it want I want it to be. "Intellectual honesty" doesn't do me much good if I think my intellect comes from me. Only after being willing to recognize my natural state was I able to be honest with myself............which led to a natural conclusion that I have a creator and am in need of a relationship with Him. Just my thoughts. :emot-highfive:

Work in Progress:

If you've read any of my other posts on various threads, you'll find I don't dispute the possibility of their being a higher power in the universe; I certainly don't claim that either I or science understands everything there is to know. I do, however, draw different conclusions than you by comparing the Bible to known science. Where else can my intellect come from except myself? I don't believe in things because they make me happy, although that might be an occasional side-effect; I believe them because they are, in my estimation, true. I am skeptical of anyone who believes in God purely because they are scared of what athiesm, if it were true, might mean; similarly, I am skeptical of athiests who believe there is no God only because they don't like the idea of there being one. The fact that a theory is comforting is not the same as it being true; by the same token, the fact that something is only comforting or enjoyable does not mean it isn't worthwhile.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

The problem with science is scientists sometimes make mistakes. The problem with Christianity is that Christians make mistakes also. It does not mean that the Bible and science are incompatable.

Have you ever gone to an Anglican church?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

A question for everyone here:

In the collective experience of all involved with this board, have any of you seen a Christian renounce his faith or an unbeliever converted through the discussions in a forum like this?

I'm seriously asking this question. I realize there may be things that happen without our knowledge including lurkers who are curious but never post. I ask because I've only been involved with Christian discussion forums for about a month and half. I personally have never seen it. It would be interesting to hear of a report like this.

How about this - Have any of you witnessed an athiest willfully conceding a debate?(I also realize this may be true for Christians too) I have not in my short time in internet forums. I suppose a Christians purpose for engaging would be the hope of planting a seed of truth that wouldn't be there otherwise and possibly enlightening a lurker who may be waivering.

I will say this - Up to this point, I have never witnessed an unbeliever who came to a Christian forum that I actually sensed a desire to genuinely find God through a discussion of biblical truths. Unless I was tainted in my perception, I've always sensed a desire to discredit what we believe to be true. I guess I ask so someone may tell me that they've experienced something other than that.

I have seem some misunderstandings of a position of either side cleared up so there is definately value there.

I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, just curious....

Edited by undone

For three years at school, I had to go to chapel and have Christian Studies every week. So yes. In one Christian Studies lesson, the reverend had to teach us about Buddhism and Islam. We didn't look at the Qu'ran or any other Buddhist text; we didn't hear from a Buddhist or a Muslim, or read any books by people who'd studied either faith. Instead, the reverend told us that 'well, I don't know about anyone else, but Islam seems pretty bad to me.' Whoda thunk it? :emot-highfive:

• Topic Count:  123
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Hi secondeve. My post was not aimed at you personally. I was just addressing the "intellectual honesty" remark. I've seen a lot of people with "intellect" (i.e - intelligent people) totally miss the simplicity of faith and salvation because they were too smart for it, lol. Intellect is wonderful and, IMHO, an obligation.........but it isn't needed for faith and is often a hindrance. Believe me, I'm not a Christian because it's "comfortable" or "enjoyable". I'm a Christian because for some reason God saw fit to call me even though there is nothing worthy in me to call........and did I go willingly? LOL! Sorry, but that makes me laugh out loud. No, I'm one of those that is "so smart" that I was too dumb to see the truth. I was so smart that surely I had all the answers, not God. I fought, I kicked, I screamed. But I'm the kind of person that must read, research, and can't accept blindly...........so I did..........and I am. And the praise belongs all and only to Him, no "intellect". :emot-highfive: