sylvan3

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

It would seem hard to say that God follows the Ten Commandments (all of them) given references to his orders to kill in the Bible.

This refers to killing children:

"The glory of Israel will fly away like a bird, for your children will die at birth or perish in the womb or never even be conceived. Even if your children do survive to grow up, I will take them from you. It will be a terrible day when I turn away and leave you alone. I have watched Israel become as beautiful and pleasant as Tyre. But now Israel will bring out her children to be slaughtered." O LORD, what should I request for your people? I will ask for wombs that don't give birth and breasts that give no milk. The LORD says, "All their wickedness began at Gilgal; there I began to hate them. I will drive them from my land because of their evil actions. I will love them no more because all their leaders are rebels. The people of Israel are stricken. Their roots are dried up; they will bear no more fruit. And if they give birth, I will slaughter their beloved children." (Hosea 9:11-16 NLT)

Kill Men, Women, and Children

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Well, obviously, many of the things in the decalogue would be off-limits for him.

Commandment 1 is off-limits, as He is God, so he can't have any other God.

Commandment 2 is likewise, as he is God, and would not worship any idol.

Commandment 3 is also likewise. What would he say? "Oh my Me!"

Commandment 4 is hazy, as he is both the God of Christianity and Judaism, so he has two Sabbaths?

Commandment 5 is off-limits; He has no parents.

Commanmdent 6 He does not follow. he murders people by the thousands in the Bible.

Commandment 7 is off-limits. He does not adulterate, as He has no need to.

Commandment 8 God has no need to steal, as he could work some Godly magic and make whatever He needs.

Commandment 9 is a curiosity. Can God lie? I don't know.

Commandment 10 God has no need to follow. He is above everything else.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  682
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Well, the reason for the first 4 is that God is the creator and rightful owner of all things in existence, including the life and death of all people. So, it would be just as non-sensical to say that God stole or murdered as it would be to say that He didn't honor his mother. None of the commandments are applicable for Him. That's Israel's side of the contract. God's responsibility lied in bringing Israel out of Egypt and establishing them as a great nation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Why would God need to be subject to the 10 commandments?

Thanks for the clarifications on the Commandments. Haste resulted in me not qualifying this to those which would be applicable in a sensible way (i.e. lying and killing).

• Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Does not the word thou mean you? If God were talking to himself he would say I shalt not...

He is God. Don't be so mouthy. :)

Because then he could lie.

Does not the word thou mean you? If God were talking to himself he would say I shalt not...

He is God. Don't be so mouthy. ;)

Shouldn't he set an example?

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Because then he could lie.

There are two different issues here. They are:

1. Are the 10 commandments binding on God? The answer to that one is no. The 10 commandments were given by God to humans so that they could live in a covenental relationship with Him.

2. Can God lie? The answer is no. And it is not because the command not to lie is in the 10 commandments. The reason God cannot lie is that scripture tells us in other places that God is completely truthful. For him to lie would make Him less than God. It is an aspect of His character. The reason He included it in the 10 commandments is because it is an attribute He wants us to emmulate.

God also put rules in there about not worhsipping other Gods. That is not an issue for God. He is not subject to that prohibition, because He worships no one.

My parents had all kinds of rules for me as I grew up. They did not keep all of them (i.e. they did not have a curfew). That did not make them any less my parents, or hypocrites. The rules they laid down were rules that made it possible for me to mature an be the kind of son they wanted me to be. Some of the rules were based on their character, other rules were based on my age and limitations. The ones that were based on their character they kept because of who they were. The ones based on my age and limitations they had no need to keep (like curfew)

• Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

He is God. Don't be so mouthy. :)

Shouldn't he set an example?

Well the way I see it is God is smart enough to handle Himself in any situation. We humans are not all that bright and need to be told what is right and what is wrong. If God chooses to kill somebody, then obviously there is a reason that we would not understand. If we choose to kill somebody, chances are it is a stupid and selfish decision to further our own lustful needs. ;)