Trinity

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

As we look upon Israel and they growing interest in attacking Syria, here is some unfulfilled prophecy looking to be fulfilled soon...

Isaiah 17

An Oracle Against Damascus

1 An oracle concerning Damascus:

"See, Damascus will no longer be a city

but will become a heap of ruins.

2 The cities of Aroer will be deserted

and left to flocks, which will lie down,

with no one to make them afraid.

3 The fortified city will disappear from Ephraim,

and royal power from Damascus;

the remnant of Aram will be

like the glory of the Israelites,"

declares the LORD Almighty.

4 "In that day the glory of Jacob will fade;

the fat of his body will waste away.

5 It will be as when a reaper gathers the standing grain

and harvests the grain with his arm

• Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

Trinity,

The Lord spoke to me through Isaiah 17 the other day in my QT and then someone on here posted a topic on Isaiah 17 and then I read an article on another site that was a commentary on Isaiah 17, which I posted on here, and then you posted Isaiah 17 - four times in just a few days that Isaiah 17 has been brought up in reference to what is presently happening in the middle east and what may soon come, so I would take that as God trying to get a message across.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/13/1962

It seems like everytime I turn around these past few days, Isaiah 17 keeps standing out. I read on another site also "Isaiah 17: An Oracle concerning Damascus." The prophecies are unfolding, no doubt about it, right before our eyes. I can almost hear the trumphet blowing. Keep looking up, Jesus is coming soon.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Trinity,

The Lord spoke to me through Isaiah 17 the other day in my QT and then someone on here posted a topic on Isaiah 17 and then I read an article on another site that was a commentary on Isaiah 17, which I posted on here, and then you posted Isaiah 17 - four times in just a few days that Isaiah 17 has been brought up in reference to what is presently happening in the middle east and what may soon come, so I would take that as God trying to get a message across.

Hrmmm... thats cool, yeh,

i'v been telling my friends and family about this chapter for the past 4 years, i think this passage is really cool, I'v always had an interest in it :)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Here is a version of Isaiah 17 from The Message, a paraphrase, if you are interested:

Damascus: A Pile of Dust and Rubble

1-3 A Message concerning Damascus: "Watch this: Damascus undone as a city,

a pile of dust and rubble!

Her towns emptied of people.

The sheep and goats will move in

And take over the towns

as if they owned them

Here is a version of Isaiah 17 from The Message, a paraphrase, if you are interested:

Thanks! I liked that. I don't usually like the Message, but sometimes it says it plainly and its just what we need to hear.

Hrmmm... thats cool, yeh,

i'v been telling my friends and family about this chapter for the past 4 years, i think this passage is really cool, I'v always had an interest in it :24:

Trinity,

I have a question: In this passage and the surrounding passages, wasn't Damascus a city that Israel relied on for protection? I read that in a commentary. There are other passages in Isaiah that talk about not relying on Egypt to be their shade because it will be to their shame, but do they really rely on Egypt now for their protection? Anywho, this is what the commentary says:

"Ephraim. The northern kingdom mentioned here because of its alliance with Damascus against Assyria..."

Isn't Ephraim one of the twelve tribes of Israel? So, in essence, wouldn't this be saying that Damascus was in alliance with Israel? Help me understand. And, who is Assyria? The commentary says that Aram is our modern-day Syria. Who had control of Damascus during Jesus' time?

So, I guess what I'm asking is that my understanding, which is incomplete, is that Damascus and Israel had a relationship, and because of that relationship, they both went down. So, then, is the point of the prophecy that the physical city of Damascus is destroyed, or is it that an ally of Israel's is destroyed along with her? I read in another chapter in Isaiah, can't recall which one off the top of my head, that the one trusting in and the one being trusted will go down together. Is there that kind of trust between Israel and Damascus now?

I really feel that Israel's punishment here is because she did not trust in the Lord, but she trusted, instead, in the 'arm of the flesh,' her 'Egypt' or whatever human influence she was following instead of following God, but there is a promise that God will come to her rescue when she calls out to him, and then she will turn to him again.

What is your take on all this? Or anyone else?

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

Interesting topic!

Like many Bible prophecies there may be two fulfillments. There was certainly one in the past. We tend to read into prophecy what we want to see and what is occurring at the present time and, although it may fit, we should not twist scripture to make it fit.

Below are several commentary versions on Isaiah 17. Be sure to read the last one, Dake