• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

The Restoration of Israel in the New Testament

By Shiloh357

Most of the time, whenever I talk people about the restoration of Israel to their Land, I use those tried and true prophecies from the Tanakh such as Gen. 17:8,9 Ezek. 36,37, Amos 9:11-15, Zech. 12:1-10 and others as well.

I was recently challenged by another believer that sought to discredit the biblical foundation for modern Israel, that I could not support my notions from the New Testament. This person's assertion that the restoration of Israel as physical nation was nowhere to be found in the New Testament. To this person, the Church is Israel, so any biblical validity given to the nation of Israel presents a very messy theological problem. I began sharing with this person NT passages that felt support the physical, national restoration of Israel. It was an interesting discussion to say the least!!

I will start off by presenting one or two of the Scriptures from the New Testament that I have noticed that support a biblical view of modern Israel's restoration. Please jump in with your own, and discuss them. I think it will be very a edifying discussion!! :thumb:

And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favor with God. And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: And he shall reign over the house of Jacob forever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

(Luke 1:30-33)

This passage specifically mentions the Throne of David. The Throne of David is always an earthly throne. Every reference to it in the Old Testament is that of a physical throne. The Throne of David is the throne that Yeshua will be seated upon as He reigns from Jerusalem during the Millenium. This is the ONLY New Testament passage that specifically mentions the Throne of David. It would therefore be clear to any unprejudiced reader that Mary would have understood the words of the angel as referring to Jesus reigning as a physical King over a physical nation, namely Israel.

A second passage is found a little later in the same chapter of Luke:

And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying, Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people, And hath raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began: That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us; To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant; The oath which he swore to our father Abraham, That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

(Luke 1:67-750

Often, I have run across those who misinterpret many OT passages relative to the restoration of Israel, as only applying to the restoration that occurred after the return from Babylon. Yet, here we have the father of John the Baptist prophesying about the future of national Israel. Zechariah is prophesying under the power of the Holy Spirit and speaks of a fulfillment of the blood oath that God swore to Abraham. As you know, it is this covenant that unconditionally secures Israel's Divine Right to the Land. From Zechariah's perspective, and indeed the Holy Spirit's perspective, this fulfillment was still forthcoming. It pertained to a future Israel. Truly Israel had not been delivered from all those that hated her, as history dutifully records. Even today, the ugly head of anti-Semitism still plagues the Jewish people, even in their own country. We can still feel the sting of irrational, insatiable hatred.

This prophecy had not been fulfilled in the first coming of Jesus. It was clearly another reference to the Millenium. The first coming of Jesus was only the first stage in bringing this to pass. I believe we are seeing the restoration of modern Israel as another stage in the process of God bringing His chosen people back unto Himself. The Bible clearly teaches that the children of Israel from both Israel and Judah will be together in the Land when they finally recognize the Messiah.

The fact that he mentions the covenant to Abraham is significant to me, since I believe that Israel, under the Messiah reign, will finally inhabit the original borders that God promised to Abraham.

As we go through this study, I think we will be reminded just how accurate Bible prophecy is. The rebirth of national Israel after nearly 2000 years of exile, is one of the best testimonies to the accuracy of the Bible.

Well, those are just for starters. I am interested in your thoughts, and other passages from the New Testament that you feel support Israel's restoration.

The Church is Israel. The replacement theology types have it backwards, they teach Israel is the Church.Galatians 6:13-16 (KJV)

13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.

14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

It's the only thing that could make sense of this verse:

Romans 9:6 (KJV)

6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

The are not Spirit Israel which are of Physical Israel. Down through the corridors of time the difference, the apartness, the holiness, is the spiritual versus the physical. If you ever have difficulty understanding the Bible at a particular point, remember the warfare between the physical and the spiritual. This has always been the dividing line. And Physical Israel has had a specific calling that cost them much down through the ages. But it is not the means nor the path of salvation. The path of salvation is through the spirit Spirit Israel and it always has been.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

Jeremiah 31:31-34 (KJV)

31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Either gentiles have no hope, or we become part of Israel in this new covenant... but this is in a matter of spirit and not the flesh...

Romans 2:28-29 (KJV)

28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Philippians 3:3 (KJV)

3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

John 4:21-25 (KJV)

21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

Guest shiloh357
The Church is Israel. The replacement theology types have it backwards, they teach Israel is the Church.Galatians 6:13-16 (KJV)

Sorry John, but you are mistaken. "The Church is Israel" is the crux of Replacement Theology. You really don't understand Replacement Theology.

There is no difference between saying "Israel is the Church" or "The Church is Israel." I realize YOU think there is a difference but Replacement Theology uses both interchangably to communicate the same idea.

"The Israel of God" refers to Jewish believers. It is not a reference to the Church as whole.

Galatians 6:16

And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God (Gal 6:16)

The question that must be answered is what does Paul mean in this passage by the term "Israel of God." The assumption of many commentators is that "Israel of God" is used in juxtaposition to the corporate nation of Israel, the Jewish people. So what we must determine is whether or not the context in which it appears allows for that usage to be applied to Paul's words.

Part of the problem is how Replacement Theologians handle the word “and” in verse 16, “and upon the Israel of God. It is the Greek word “kai” and can be used in two ways. It is rendered often in English as the conjunction “and” but it can also be rendered in a cumulative form as well, such as the word “even.” Replacement theologians often view this verse in a more cumulative sense, meaning that they use the words, “and the Israel of God” to define the previously mentioned, “all who follow this rule.” That is why they understand the Greek word “kai” as cumulative and do not see it in the form of a conjunction. So to them, the verse could or should read, “And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, even upon the Israel of God.”

So the question is, since we have two valid interpretative methods for this verse, which one is correct? The answer is that context always determines word usage. It does not so much determine word meaning but when you have languages like ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek where the pool of words is smaller than English and words play double, triple and quadruple duty, context is always the “tie breaker,” so to speak. Context demonstrates which of the competing word meanings the author intended.

Absent from the context is any attempt to redefine the Church as Israel. That is not the object Paul has in view. Any discussion of Gal. 6:16 must be kept within the parameters of context established by Paul. The term “Israel of God” is used by replacement theologians to denote an “Israel” other than biblical Israel. Thus, the “Israel of God,” which follows “the rule” in verse 15 is defined by replacement theologians as the Church. Yet, the context does not allow for that reading. What it does allow for is the understanding that Paul is talking about Jewish believers in the Messiah. Once again, Dr. Vlach makes an excellent point:

"Galatians 6:16 – Paul is referring to Christian Jews in his reference to the “Israel of God.” Paul scolded the Judaizers who said circumcision was necessary for salvation, but he acknowledges those Jews in Galatia who had not followed the Judaizers in their error. These Christian Jews are the true “Israel of God.” Vlach, Michael, Ph.D. Twelve Reasons why Supersessionism/Replacement Theology Is Not a Biblical Doctrine Retrieved with permission from http://www.theologicalstudies.citymax.com/page/page/4425336.htm

Paul sees Gentile believers as the seed of Abraham by faith (Gal. 3: 7-29). Paul does not see in existence, a “new Israel” comprised of Gentiles that replace the Jewish people. In fact, to say that “Israel of God” refers to the Church as opposed to biblical Israel, would actually defeat Paul’s previous remarks in Gal. 3:7-29 since He goes to great pains to show how the Gentile believers are included in God’s plan along with the natural seed of Abraham.

Either gentiles have no hope, or we become part of Israel in this new covenant... but this is in a matter of spirit and not the flesh...
You are grafted in and are full citizens in the commwealth of Israel, but Gentile believers are not Israelites or "spiritual Jews."

Sorry, Shiloh, you are mistaken. Replacement theology is false. And this is not replacement theology. The assembly / ekklesia / Church predates Acts Chapter 2 and even Genesis 12 (the calling of Abram). The assembly of believers is listed in Hebrews 11 and goes all the way back to Abel. The Church / ekklesia / assembly of believers goes by many names. The assembly, the Olive Tree, Spirit Israel, the Israel of God, klal Yisro'el / All Israel...

And in fact Yisra'el is a name of the Messiah.

Israel is the contraction of the words Yish Sarar and Elohiym. He Prince God.

And no the Israel of God does not refer to Jewish believers alone. Let's back the tape up again:

Galatians 6:13-16 (KJV)

13 For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh.

14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

16 And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Galatians 3:26-28 (KJV)

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2: (KJV)

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Your personally held belief is quite unbiblical, my friend. Sorry.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sorry John, but you are mistaken. "The Church is Israel" is the crux of Replacement Theology. You really don't understand Replacement Theology.

There is no difference between saying "Israel is the Church" or "The Church is Israel." I realize YOU think there is a difference but Replacement Theology uses both interchangably to communicate the same idea.

"The Israel of God" refers to Jewish believers. It is not a reference to the Church as whole.

Galatians 6:16

And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God (Gal 6:16)

The question that must be answered is what does Paul mean in this passage by the term "Israel of God." The assumption of many commentators is that "Israel of God" is used in juxtaposition to the corporate nation of Israel, the Jewish people. So what we must determine is whether or not the context in which it appears allows for that usage to be applied to Paul's words.

Part of the problem is how Replacement Theologians handle the word “and” in verse 16, “and upon the Israel of God. It is the Greek word “kai” and can be used in two ways. It is rendered often in English as the conjunction “and” but it can also be rendered in a cumulative form as well, such as the word “even.” Replacement theologians often view this verse in a more cumulative sense, meaning that they use the words, “and the Israel of God” to define the previously mentioned, “all who follow this rule.” That is why they understand the Greek word “kai” as cumulative and do not see it in the form of a conjunction. So to them, the verse could or should read, “And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, even upon the Israel of God.”

So the question is, since we have two valid interpretative methods for this verse, which one is correct? The answer is that context always determines word usage. It does not so much determine word meaning but when you have languages like ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek where the pool of words is smaller than English and words play double, triple and quadruple duty, context is always the “tie breaker,” so to speak. Context demonstrates which of the competing word meanings the author intended.

Absent from the context is any attempt to redefine the Church as Israel. That is not the object Paul has in view. Any discussion of Gal. 6:16 must be kept within the parameters of context established by Paul. The term “Israel of God” is used by replacement theologians to denote an “Israel” other than biblical Israel. Thus, the “Israel of God,” which follows “the rule” in verse 15 is defined by replacement theologians as the Church. Yet, the context does not allow for that reading. What it does allow for is the understanding that Paul is talking about Jewish believers in the Messiah. Once again, Dr. Vlach makes an excellent point:

"Galatians 6:16 – Paul is referring to Christian Jews in his reference to the “Israel of God.” Paul scolded the Judaizers who said circumcision was necessary for salvation, but he acknowledges those Jews in Galatia who had not followed the Judaizers in their error. These Christian Jews are the true “Israel of God.” Vlach, Michael, Ph.D. Twelve Reasons why Supersessionism/Replacement Theology Is Not a Biblical Doctrine Retrieved with permission from http://www.theologic...age/4425336.htm

Paul sees Gentile believers as the seed of Abraham by faith (Gal. 3: 7-29). Paul does not see in existence, a “new Israel” comprised of Gentiles that replace the Jewish people. In fact, to say that “Israel of God” refers to the Church as opposed to biblical Israel, would actually defeat Paul’s previous remarks in Gal. 3:7-29 since He goes to great pains to show how the Gentile believers are included in God’s plan along with the natural seed of Abraham.

You are grafted in and are full citizens in the commwealth of Israel, but Gentile believers are not Israelites or "spiritual Jews."

I will certainly grant you this thing masquerading around as the Church (goyum goyum goyum) is well off course about being the Jewish / Hebrew New Covenant Body of believers it ought to be.

But that is not to say we are to take up our yarmulkes and prayer shawls and start trying to talk like Jackie Mason (as so many want-to-bes do). It's sad and funny at the same time. The "Church" today is a body of believers in identity crisis.

Note my interests under my screen name. hint hint

The condition of todays Spirit Israel is the direct result of the First Century CE Sanhedrin being so corrupt and abdicating its leadership role in the New Covenant and for imposing fear tactics over Jews who would have otherwise at least given Yeshua Jesus a close going over in the Tanakh... The Gentiles who were left with the task of doing what the Jews were born and bred to do... and they did the best they could. But somewhere along the way they got it in their head that their Gentilized version of the Hebrew Faith was the replacement of the Old Version and it is not. God had New Testament Judaism fully in mind when he drafted the Old Testament / Covenant. The only thing replaced are the covenants (and there are many... the Adamic, Noachian, Abrahamic, Jacobean, and the Mosaic as well as the Messianic). Each was with the other in mind, that is the mind of God.

The physical Jews (people born Jewish) are still just as much God's people on earth today as they ever were (whether in belief or not). It won't save them, only faith in their Messiah Yeshua Jesus will. The same as with everyone else. And as Spirit Jews in Spirit Israel we are the chosen from heaven (we are citizens of heaven / the Jerusalem from above and are ambassadors for Christ here on earth). We do not replace the chosen physical Jews. Nor are they All Israel / Spirit Israel until they believe in the Messiah who died and rose from the grave.

Guest shiloh357
Sorry, Shiloh, you are mistaken. Replacement theology is false. And this is not replacement theology.
No, I am not mistaken. I have combating Replacement Theology for over 18 years and I know what it is and what it is not. Replacment Theology is the view that the Church is Israel. That is the chief tenat of that ideology.

There is no "spiritual Israel" or "spiritual Jew." Those concepts you have had to get from somewhere outside of Scripture. The word "Israel" is NEVER spiritualized in Scripture to refer to Gentile believers, EVER.

Your personally held belief is quite unbiblical, my friend. Sorry.
My view is not ONLY more biblical than what you have presented, it is based on better hermeneutics as well.

Note my interests under my screen name. hint hint
So what??? That does not give any impetus to your claims.

And no the Israel of God does not refer to Jewish believers alone. Let's back the tape up again:

Galatians 6:13-16 (KJV)

Yeah, I addressed that in m previous post. The word "and" refers to a separate particular group. The "Israel of God" is distinct from the rest of the body of Christ in this verse. Gentiles are NEVER referred to as "Israel" anywhere in Scripture.

Galatians 3:26-28 (KJV)

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Funny how every one quotes this passage that there is neither "Jew nor Greek" in Christ and then insist that in Christ, they are "spiritual Jews." The internal inconsistency is astounding.

Ephesians 2: (KJV)

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Again with the sloppy hermeneutics. This is Paul utilizing temple imagery of the boundaries that separated the court of the Genitles from the rest of temple. He is not addressing who is not Israel. He is addressing the fact that Jews and Gentiles are no longer separate that that in Christ there is no advantage or disadvantage where access to God's grace is concerned.

Nope. {sigh}

Shiloh, replacement theology is a group of believing Gentiles who think God is finished with Israel and therefore the promises of Israel are now bestowed upon them.

God is not finished with physical Israel (whether they are in faith or not). If the individual Jew dies in unbelief, well, unbelief is no different for the Jew than the Gentile.

But collectively, God still chooses physical Israel. The Great Tribulation will come because that is what it will take to get the collective of physical Israel that survives to that point to cry out to Yeshua Jesus.

What you are not getting about what I am sharing from the Bible is that Spirit Israel has been around since before physical Israel existed.

Israel is the new name of the Messiah. New in the sense that it is generally unknown to humanity until recently.

Revelation 3:12 (KJV)

12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Yish he Sarar prince Elohiym God...

Yisra El

Remember, these things were determined before there was an earth.

Proverbs 8:23 (KJV)

23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.

Revelation 13:8 (KJV)

8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The Church does not replace physical Israel. Spirit Israel is the body of believers as it has always been. The condition of the body of believers and its Gentilized ways is due to the abdication of the people who were born and bred to lead Spirit Israel but refused to. And the mantle of leadership of the body of believers fell on the Gentiles to do as best they could. It's not replacement theology. How could it be? The door of invitation to the natural branches of the Olive Tree is still open.

Romans 11:16-28 (KJV)

16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers’ sakes.

No, my friend, this is not replacement anything. The Church has no land covenants in Eretz. Christians are not born chosen, we have to come to faith in Yeshua and in so doing... our faith in the Jewish Messiah makes us spiritually Jewish. Not physically Jewish. See? Still nothing replaced.

The Body of believers (the assembly / great assembly / Olive Tree / Israel) goes back to the beginning. See Hebrews 11. Abel son of Adam is listed.

It does not change. The progression of God's revelation and the covenants changed. The body of believers have not. Spirit Israel predates physical Israel.

• George unlocked this topic