Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

There are two bands touring with Third Day that you might really like, Hyperstatic Union and Leeland. Both are great live. You should check them out. A good message and a good beat. :o

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

I feel exactly the opposite way Bob Dole and Keilan S do about Christian music. I want to hear music that has a Christ centered message and as long as it is Biblical preaches to me. That is why I don't like contemporary Christian music but prefer southern gospel, but to each his own.

At one time, when I believed there was such a thing as Demon beats, I listened to southern gospel. I'll still watch the Gaither program with my dad sometimes. Most of my collection at that time though was Christian releases by normal country artists like Porter and Dolly...and I had two albums by oh man I can't remember his name now, he was a preacher and singer and was related to Jerry Lee Lewis...anyway...

Now...

I like some secular music and some christian. (Right now I have Bon Jovi's Livin on a Prayer playing in my headphones, with Eva O and Mortification and Evanescence) I like them all to have similar Sounds. As far as the lyrics, it depends on what I'm listening for. If I'm listening to Darkfield Illluminator, I'm not listening for a sermon or for alot of preaching.

However, if I am in a contemporary worship service (yes the presby does think that this is appropriate within limits) I don't want "Jesus is my boyfriend" songs. You know the ones where you wouldn't be able to tell you were singing praises to God if it wasn't that you were in Church. I also like some doctrine or some scriptural thought in it rather than repetitive "LOrd you are beautiful" all the time. I used to be in the occult. Repetition like that can set me in an altered state that is not spirit induced. I'm not saying that everyone who sings this stuff is having the same reaction but it will, if I'm not careful, put me into hypnosis or something similar to TM. Not good and I don't like having to be so "on guard" when I'm in worship.

My tastes run from Metal (especially gothic and orchestral or melodic or medieval metal) to punk to alternative, to classic rock on one side and the ethereal stuff on the other like Midnight Syndicate, gregorian chants, LeRue Delashay, This Mortal Coil, etc. I also like Celtic Music and some country (which is confusing sometimes I'll be singing "The Night they Drove old Dixie Down" with my windows down and the drivers in the other car see someone whose obviously a gothic chic...so far no accidents have occured but...)

You like "loud, fast, ANGRY, music"? A real Christian would not go after these things. Set your mind on the things of God, not Satan like this music is.

INjustice and sin are supposed to make us angry. Be angry but sin not.

People who are into punk and metal and to an extent gothic music also, tend to be focused on the state of the world in their music (when it isn't dealing with drugs, sex and etc). People who like punk and metal tend to be fighting against things they see in society as being unjust or hypocritical. (gothic people withdraw from society like the weeping prophet instead, more like mournfully leaving it behind)

Now when a person such as us becomes a believer, we're supposed to stop seeing the injustices and things which make God angry and never get upset over them? No...I don't believe so. So why would the style of our music change. The content of the lyrics, definately could, but the mood most likely won't. Music is supposed to express our heart and our beliefs. If we are angered by social problems, that doesn't go away when you become a believer, and there is nothing wrong with saying so in music.

Anger is an emotion created by God and abused by the devil. David prayed that he would hate what the Lord hates. What the anger gets directed AT might change or it might not. I'm sure the words expressing it changes sometimes. It depends. Angry uptempo music can inspire such a person to action, to do something, to remember what is wrong and try to make it right. That is not sinful.

Music is an empty canvas upon which the lyrics and tone are placed. The tone is a frame into which you put the lyrics. The lyrics are what determines the validity of the music.

It is "bad" music that you pirated. Illegal. 400 songs? Do you realize how much fine you could be up for and possibly jail time? Pirated music is stealing. Breaking commandments of God.

It is angry music.

Heavy metal is only the beginning of other behavior that is also unbecoming to a Christian.

When you get rid of this stuff, you can't sell it. Burn it, destroy it.

He said he got rid of his pirated stuff, and many of his other albums.

The rest of it I have already dealt with.

Edited by LadyRaven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Yes, I have mentioned getting rid of my pirated music. That I believe IS a sin with no way around it. It is stolen and a direct violation of the commandments. That error I have seen and put an end to.

Since I started listening to nearly all Christian music, I have seen nothing but improvements. I'm cheerful, find it easier to think about God, and, I can avoid listening to the things I used to listen too. For example, I now listen to heavy metal music talking about such things as Jesus's perfect blood, our fallen man-made dependance on money and how we should hold true to what the bible says. These things have a good message, and you know what? If I didn't listen to that my music would be about blood, sex and revolution.

God Bless,

Keilan

If God created heavy metal, it would have existed way before this last century. Africans drum up demons by their beat. Seriously. So does heavy metal.

Erm... what? It would have existed way before this last century? This makes no sense to me, if somebody wants to come up with a new kind of music, and God wants to use it for His will, do you think time is any barrier to Him? As to the African drums... what are you referring to there? Chanting and the like or just the beat itself?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

There is no such thing as Christian Metal or Christian Rock... neither is Christian.... it is only Metal and Rock with "Jesus" or "God" thrown in.

Apparently, there are a lot of people who disagree with you. Also, I'd like to see you support some of the statements you've made in this thread.

I love rock music, specifically metal, industrial and punk. Most of the metal I listen to is Christian Metal (Immortal Souls, Bloodlined Calligraphy, As I lay Dying, Tourniquet, UNderath etc), but there is some non-christian metal where the music is so good it doesn't really matter whether they're Christian or not

As for Industrial, good Christian Industrial (in the vein of the VERY talented NIN) is hard to come by, although I have found a band that has since broke up called Circle of Dust, who are vaugely christian.

As for Punk, the stuff I listen to is mostly politcal (Black Flag, Social Distortion and Bad Religion (which, despite their name are surprisingly borderline)). In fact, Blag Flag made fun of people who just sit around and drink (Six Pack).

I, too, obviously enjoy the fast-paced, hardhitting stuff, which is great to work out to.

If God put in you a liking for loud, fast, and yes, even angry music, then by all means use it in his praise!!! :emot-questioned:

It is not the Almighty Lord God of Heaven who would "put in you" a liking for this but Satan, nor would he use it for his praise... but Satan would definately use it for his praise. When you say God, perhaps it is the god of this world.

Lawyer... I am glad to you post in my topics. Opinions are great and I have nothing against disagreeing ones. But there are a few things I would like to request. First, could you please actually reply when I question one of your posts, rather than bring up one of my old posts and argue on that...

I will repeat the post I wished you to reply to...

Erm... what? It would have existed way before this last century? This makes no sense to me, if somebody wants to come up with a new kind of music, and God wants to use it for His will, do you think time is any barrier to Him? As to the African drums... what are you referring to there? Chanting and the like or just the beat itself?

Second.. back up your opinions. I could walk into a topic and tell you broccoli is from Satan. And thats pretty much how I plan to view posts with no backing up. (Unless of course, you would like to clearly state that it is an opinion, in which case no back-up is okay).

God Bless,

Keilan

Edited by KeilanS

INjustice and sin are supposed to make us angry. Be angry but sin not.

People who are into punk and metal and to an extent gothic music also, tend to be focused on the state of the world in their music (when it isn't dealing with drugs, sex and etc). People who like punk and metal tend to be fighting against things they see in society as being unjust or hypocritical. (gothic people withdraw from society like the weeping prophet instead, more like mournfully leaving it behind)

Now when a person such as us becomes a believer, we're supposed to stop seeing the injustices and things which make God angry and never get upset over them? No...I don't believe so. So why would the style of our music change. The content of the lyrics, definately could, but the mood most likely won't. Music is supposed to express our heart and our beliefs. If we are angered by social problems, that doesn't go away when you become a believer, and there is nothing wrong with saying so in music.

Anger is an emotion created by God and abused by the devil. David prayed that he would hate what the Lord hates. What the anger gets directed AT might change or it might not. I'm sure the words expressing it changes sometimes. It depends. Angry uptempo music can inspire such a person to action, to do something, to remember what is wrong and try to make it right. That is not sinful.

Music is an empty canvas upon which the lyrics and tone are placed. The tone is a frame into which you put the lyrics. The lyrics are what determines the validity of the music.

God Bless You LadyRaven! I must say I enjoy your posts! You are very clear on your opinion and you explain it in simple terms (for those of us who arn't scientists). I also very much agree with you on this point.

-Keilan