IGNORED

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18

Guest bsubronco

Guest bsubronco

I'm a Christian. These verses were recently pointed out to me to show me that Paul's prophecies didn't come true since none of them witnessed the coming of Christ. I was wondering how is this explained in Christian Apologetics.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mark1616
I'm a Christian. These verses were recently pointed out to me to show me that Paul's prophecies didn't come true since none of them witnessed the coming of Christ. I was wondering how is this explained in Christian Apologetics.

In verse 17 when Paul said " Then we wich are alive.......", WE does not imply Paul will be alive to see it. But rather it is a reference to those who believe in the LORD Jesus.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

In verse 17 when Paul said " Then we wich are alive.......", WE does not imply Paul will be alive to see it. But rather it is a reference to those who believe in the LORD Jesus.

:emot-hug:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

To prop this up even further, we look at things differently than Paul did. Paul, being a hebrew and living in the middle east, would view any sayings about time (such as coming, going, etc) in terms of prupose and not chronologically (as we do). If someone today were to say, "Those of us alive during this time", we would view this as a present collective "us" because of our chronological view. Paul would not have necessarily viewed it this way and instead viewed the time as a purpose, not as a chronologicaly point in time. In other words, those who are alive during the fulfillment of this purpose...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  487
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

I think those verses suggest that the Christians of that time expected to live to see Jesus return. There is plenty of other evidence in the Bible for that.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  397
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I think those verses suggest that the Christians of that time expected to live to see Jesus return. There is plenty of other evidence in the Bible for that.

Dunno regarding to this part of the Bible but all christians expect to live just in time when Jesus comes for us , without having to die first, it doesn't mean I am neccesarly gonna live to see Jesus coming, but sure I am gonna be with Him in heaven when He does do that :wub: .

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

They did not understand the gap in time between prophecy... between Daniel's 69th and 70th week. We are waiting for the last week to start. When Jesus was rejected, that put time on hold.. prophecy on hold regarding the Jews.

Wow, Lawyer! I agree with you again!

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

lol

How nice of you to revert to that even though I brought up a solidified explanation of what mark had already provided.

To prop this up even further, we look at things differently than Paul did. Paul, being a hebrew and living in the middle east, would view any sayings about time (such as coming, going, etc) in terms of prupose and not chronologically (as we do). If someone today were to say, "Those of us alive during this time", we would view this as a present collective "us" because of our chronological view. Paul would not have necessarily viewed it this way and instead viewed the time as a purpose, not as a chronologicaly point in time. In other words, those who are alive during the fulfillment of this purpose...

"No, don't destroy my straw-man, then I might have to believe in Christ!" :emot-handshake:

• Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

"No, don't destroy my straw-man, then I might have to believe in Christ!" :o

No, not that! Anything but that! ;):o:emot-handshake:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  487
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

lol

How nice of you to revert to that even though I brought up a solidified explanation of what mark had already provided.

"No, don't destroy my straw-man, then I might have to believe in Christ!" :emot-handshake:

OK, what evidence do you have for what you say about the mindset of the first century Hebrew?

Even if you are right, that Paul could have understood it that way, (because of the mindset of the first century Hebrew) I can't see any evidence provided by you that he certainly did, or likely did. And as I said, there is plenty of evidence in the Bible that they expected Jesus to return in the first century.

As for accusing me of a "straw man", I started a thread on this issue and I didn't get much response from the Christians around here. They ran away.