IGNORED

Medical Treatment

sylvan3

Hi Nebula,

Jesus Christ recognized the spiritually sick state of sinners and sought to turn them to God for spiritual healing. Hence, when criticized by the Pharisees and scribes for eating and drinking with tax collectors and sinners, Jesus said:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

So, in other words, God controls all healing? What happened to free will as it might relate to healing? If one buys this philosophy, why couldn't going to a doctor, using free will, possibly be thwarting God's will? (A doctor would also be using free will in treating the patient). Maybe he wants us to have epidemics. The Bible talks about him sending epidemics. Just because we have cures for things wouldn't necessarily mean that God wants us to have cures if gaining those cures were a result of free will (of course, the line is that God wants us to have free will--that's why he allows people to choose other religions).

Whoa nelly! Did you actually read what I wrote? I said nothing about free will. What I said was; man cannot heal anybody any more than a farmer can make a seed grow. If you are sick, see a doctor, take your treatments--whatever they may be--and pray for the Lord's will. The doctor doesn't heal you, the Lord does that through the doctor or the medication or whatever. We are human beings, we live in fallen world and are liable to sickness, disease, the breakdown of the body, etc. I do believe, while G-d may not actually send a plague or whatever, He does allow these things to come into our lives for a purpose.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

So, in other words, God controls all healing? What happened to free will as it might relate to healing? If one buys this philosophy, why couldn't going to a doctor, using free will, possibly be thwarting God's will? (A doctor would also be using free will in treating the patient). Maybe he wants us to have epidemics. The Bible talks about him sending epidemics. Just because we have cures for things wouldn't necessarily mean that God wants us to have cures if gaining those cures were a result of free will (of course, the line is that God wants us to have free will--that's why he allows people to choose other religions).

Whoa nelly! Did you actually read what I wrote? I said nothing about free will. What I said was; man cannot heal anybody any more than a farmer can make a seed grow. If you are sick, see a doctor, take your treatments--whatever they may be--and pray for the Lord's will. The doctor doesn't heal you, the Lord does that through the doctor or the medication or whatever. We are human beings, we live in fallen world and are liable to sickness, disease, the breakdown of the body, etc. I do believe, while G-d may not actually send a plague or whatever, He does allow these things to come into our lives for a purpose.

For the record: I never said that you mentioned free will. I only asked about free will as it related to what you were saying.

As for whether or not God sends plagues, consider the following:

Exodus 9:14 For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth.

You may say that the plague being sent is for a purpose. I am asking if combating plagues--an natural human response to disease--might not be combating God's purpose (if one subscribes to Biblical beliefs) as mentioned in Exodus 9:14. This is a relevant question because the person who developed the smallpox vaccine faced resistance, at the time, from certain elements of Christianity.

Also, if a doctor doesn't heal you, as you believe, does his or her decision-making have an effect on how much healing, if any, takes place?