IGNORED

The ABC's of Interpretation

EricH

Guest Maccabee

Historical Principles

1. Since the Bible is a historical book, it must be understood in its historical context

2. Both the Old and New Testaments are essential in understanding God

Guest Maccabee

My apologies to the moderator who thought I was spamming in my previous post. I will avoid offering external links in the future. I've seen Scripture misinterpreted so many times by interpreting in light of pop-culture rather than historical context, I guess the issue is more important to me than to most.

I would like to add another thought when it comes to interpreting Scripture. It is a rule I have developed for myself. Whenever studying a passage that I have heard taught many times and think I know what it means, I ask myself, "Would I believe this passage says such-and-such if I had never heard it explained that way before?" None of us really starts from zero. We all have our preconceptions. So we have to make a deliberate effort to draw from the Scriptures (exegesis) rather than inserting into Scripture (eisegesis) what we already think it means.

Note in Acts 17:11 the Bereans did not simply accept Paul's message. They searched the Scriptures to see if what he said was true. Inspired Scripture says they were of noble character for doing so. We must do the same. For example, in recent years it is often said we need to learn to love ourselves. Jesus's words that we must "love our neighbor as ourself" is given as proof text. However, if we did not already love ourselves as part of the human condition, Jesus' words would be utter nonsense. Pop culture affects our interpretation, and we must divorce ourselves from its thinking in order to understand rightly.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

My apologies to the moderator who thought I was spamming in my previous post. I will avoid offering external links in the future. I've seen Scripture misinterpreted so many times by interpreting in light of pop-culture rather than historical context, I guess the issue is more important to me than to most.

I would like to add another thought when it comes to interpreting Scripture. It is a rule I have developed for myself. Whenever studying a passage that I have heard taught many times and think I know what it means, I ask myself, "Would I believe this passage says such-and-such if I had never heard it explained that way before?" None of us really starts from zero. We all have our preconceptions. So we have to make a deliberate effort to draw from the Scriptures (exegesis) rather than inserting into Scripture (eisegesis) what we already think it means.

Note in Acts 17:11 the Bereans did not simply accept Paul's message. They searched the Scriptures to see if what he said was true. Inspired Scripture says they were of noble character for doing so. We must do the same. For example, in recent years it is often said we need to learn to love ourselves. Jesus's words that we must "love our neighbor as ourself" is given as proof text. However, if we did not already love ourselves as part of the human condition, Jesus' words would be utter nonsense. Pop culture affects our interpretation, and we must divorce ourselves from its thinking in order to understand rightly.

No need to apologize. We have simply decided that to be even handed we won't allow any links to sites that sell or raise money.

Here is the statement from the TOS

No

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

I never saw this topic before! Sweet! :)

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Given the recent discussions regarding the future of Israel and the meaning of OT prophecies, I thought it would be helpful to list some basics of determining meaning. I obtained these from:

"The Navigator Bible Studies Handbook"

General Principles

1. As you study, work knowing that the Bible is authoritative

2. Let the Bible interpret itself (Scripture explains Scripture).

3. The Holy Spirit

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Given the recent discussions regarding the future of Israel and the meaning of OT prophecies, I thought it would be helpful to list some basics of determining meaning. I obtained these from:

General Principles

3. The Holy Spirit

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eselea

General Principles

3. The Holy Spirit

• 1 month later...
Guest nosoulleftbehind
And something they did not mention. I remember a quote saying that "theology is not a parlor game, but analogous to rock climbing--certain cliffs and routes are too difficult for the inexperienced, whose ill-advised traverse often leads to tragedy."

Amen. All interpretations are not equal. While the great teachers of the Bible in the history of the church are neither inerrant nor infallable, their wisdom and abilities are of great value to all and we dismiss them to our folly. Discarding history for the latest fads has become too prevalent this day.

sw

A.W. Tozer... :blink: Been wondering if anyone has advise about witnessing to others who are clearly in the wrong faith... Thought about a Q.&A website, to so to say.... play an intriguing game of testing ones knowlege, to sort of have fun, yet get them clear about the word at the same time, any suggestions? By the way... countenance'the name, no soul left behind, is the game!!! :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

I should have responded long ago to this thread. I found a great book that helps with witnessing. And its online free.

RA Torrey book

There are other free books by him on that site too. Unfortunately the text is in that plain format so its a bit hard to read. Its worth the read tho.