apothanein kerdos

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

Just as there are "Blame America First" liberals there are "Blame the Church First" Christians. I have a problem with both. So much pessimism and church bashing within the Church just doesn't seem right.

You must not be a fan of either of the epistles to Corinth then.

One point I'd like to make is this: Simply because a particular denomination at any given time in history experiences a drop in membership isn't necessarily indicative of spiritual problems.

Who pointed to a drop in membership? If anything, we have seen membership grown...but that is not what I am speaking about at all. I'm saying that the quality of Christianity is growing dim and subsequently, the quantiy of quality Christians is likewise growing small. That is a problem.

You need to re-read the OP and all subsequent post, as no one is even complaining about numbers.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rivendell

Hi apothanein kerdos,

I did go back and read all the posts as you suggested. I think it was George's, "The Lutheran Church is dying --where it was once thriving -- how did this happen? It was when the Spirit of God was quenched!" that led me to my train of thought. I will defer to you and others here on the matter. I would just like to say I look around and see the Church in a different light.

Love,

Rivendell

Edited by Rivendell

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Bless you, Rivendell -

Cool name BTW!

As an individual church, the Lutheran church you interacted with sounds like a thriving community.

But as a whole - globally - are they impacting the world at all, impacting the Church at all?

That's what was meant.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I don't believe that Christianity will truly die. If the world manages to chance all our standards, forces us to conform or to seperate ourselves, then perhaps. However there will still be Christians who speak out and try to help. Perhaps less and less in America, but if so, we will thrive in other countries. I don't belive that God's church will ever fall.

Our impact on society may be lessened, but how much further can the impact we have just by being here sink. We've become intolerant zealots in societies eyes already.

What we can continue to do is touch people one heart at a time. Any Christian who shows anyone else love, mentions God is planting a seed that God can grow.

The church as a unified body might lose it's effect on society, but the actions of the individual Christian will always make a difference...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  454
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/19/1985

I agree......America and Christianity are basically going into 2 opposite directions beginning with Christianity being removed from schools, places of interest and such....Things that were originally started by the Christianity movement when America was founded on. What's next taking the Guttenberg Bible out? Or changing money to not say "In God We Trust"?

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

I haven't read all the posts so please forgive me if this seems an ignorant conclusion. It may seem for a while that Christianity will become obscure for the most part but in the end times God will pour out forth His Spirit greatly. There will be more Christians coming to Jesus before the end times. There will still be those who become Christians during the end times.

But again, God's Spirit will be upon us so greatly we will be used and inspired to spread the Word. Everyone will know of Him before the end of days.