• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Ok so i just finished reading the thread- "Getting rid of my secular music"- which blew up into a controversial discussion where most (if not all) were getting very offended. I just finished posting a comment where I was reminded of Abraham. God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. Abraham went forward with it...right up to the point where he was going to have to kill Isaac...and then God stopped him and told him he was a very devout man...

So I guess my question is this: How devoted are you? Do you live your life according to God's law? Think about this in terms of your daily lives: music, television, speech, physical actions....etc. And how far would you go for Jesus- would you give up your own life or the life of someone you loved?

Sierra

I'm sitting here having my second Guiness, listening to Pink Floyd and contemplating your question. Are you advocating that giving those things up will somehow put me in better standing with God?

sw

Please don't make fun of my question. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Getting rid of what is evil in your home is just the beginning.

Giving up sinful habits is another.

Giving materially, money and time, to your church is another that most people greatly fail in. You can't get most Christians to give a mere 10% let alone 50% or even 70%. Would you work for free?

If Christians would just realize devotion to God so greatly increases the blessings and being used by God in ways never conceived by them humanly.... they would wonder why they waited or questioned.

Eyes too set on the world..... what about God?

Devotion goes hand in hand with honor and respect. Do Christians even honor God and respect him any more?

I think this is a very, very good post :thumbsup:

Now I don't claim to have all the answers, but in my experiance, when one begins to give up things that they begin to view as evil or a hindrance to their relationship with God, it gets easier to be a Christian. And after giving up some stuff, I just feel all around better about myself! There is nothing in our lives more important then God, and he deserves complete devotion (now I'm not even going to claim that I give God that, but I try)

Guest Meemee
Ok so i just finished reading the thread- "Getting rid of my secular music"- which blew up into a controversial discussion where most (if not all) were getting very offended. I just finished posting a comment where I was reminded of Abraham. God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. Abraham went forward with it...right up to the point where he was going to have to kill Isaac...and then God stopped him and told him he was a very devout man...

So I guess my question is this: How devoted are you? Do you live your life according to God's law? Think about this in terms of your daily lives: music, television, speech, physical actions....etc. And how far would you go for Jesus- would you give up your own life or the life of someone you loved?

Sierra

I would give my life in a heart beat for God.!!! If he chose to take my life then he has a plan. My only prayer is

that by taking my life at this early stage in life that all my family would with out a doubt turn their life over to him

and accept him as their Lord & Saviour.

Meemee http://www.worthyboards.com/style_images/1...cons/icon12.gif

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Sierra

I'm sitting here having my second Guiness, listening to Pink Floyd and contemplating your question. Are you advocating that giving those things up will somehow put me in better standing with God?

sw

It might do. The Christian is bought with a price, and his whole life is subject to rule by Christ. That is what He meant by the 'kingdom' of God. But before He can take command of our lives, we must come out with our hands up. We must be willing to sacrifice a second Guinness, or maybe even a first one, if our conscience directs us that drinking Guinness is wrong for oneself. No-one else can tell you that it is wrong or right to drink Guinness, though your doctor might recommend it, for health reasons only (surely not for the taste! ;) ). You might decide that drinking it is wrong use of financial resources, or puts on too much weight, or that, Guinness being alcoholic, drinking it leads a member of your family or church astray. Everything a Christian does is driven by love, including love for self, and the Christian is certain in his own mind that he organises his life according to loving principles.

And who still listens to Pink Floyd? ;)

Edited by pointer

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,977
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  235
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

God asks different things of different people and we are not called on to know why....Noah wasnt asked to sacrifice any of his family members .does that make him less in Gods eyes than Abraham? I dont think so. We are all in different stages of our walk and so we all have different needs and different things in our lives that God wants to change or encourage the most important thing is to listen to God and try not to be persuaded by the world.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I think that there is a very important principle taught in the passage with Abraham and his son. God doesn't always destroy what we put on the alter. He oftentimes raises it up to be what he wants it to be. However, at the point that we put it on the altar, it has just become dead to us...for we do not know when God will burn the sacrifice with fire....or when he will tell us to instead use the ram that is caught in the thicket. The important thing for us is to put everything on the altar....make it all dead to us....Some things he will take away utterly....and other things he will raise up again with an entirely different meaning. No matter what he does....He will always do....ALL THINGS WELL.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

Sierra

sw

It might do. The Christian is bought with a price, and his whole life is subject to rule by Christ. That is what He meant by the 'kingdom' of God. But before He can take command of our lives, we must come out with our hands up. We must be willing to sacrifice a second Guinness, or maybe even a first one, if our conscience directs us that drinking Guinness is wrong for oneself. No-one else can tell you that it is wrong or right to drink Guinness, though your doctor might recommend it, for health reasons only (surely not for the taste! ;) ). You might decide that drinking it is wrong use of financial resources, or puts on too much weight, or that, Guinness being alcoholic, drinking it leads a member of your family or church astray. Everything a Christian does is driven by love, including love for self, and the Christian is certain in his own mind that he organises his life according to loving principles.

And who still listens to Pink Floyd? ;)

Dude, we have teenagers across the street who listen to it and have all the old floyd shirts. Evidently they have a third generation thing going as I have contact with alot of high schools due to my work (school photographer). I would see all these floyd t shirts and I would say...you know, when I was in high school that shirt was old. They laugh and tell me all their friends like it. I looked into it and ... well.... not just a few younger people are into them.

:::: Shrugs:::

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

I think that there is a very important principle taught in the passage with Abraham and his son. God doesn't always destroy what we put on the alter. He oftentimes raises it up to be what he wants it to be. However, at the point that we put it on the altar, it has just become dead to us...for we do not know when God will burn the sacrifice with fire....or when he will tell us to instead use the ram that is caught in the thicket. The important thing for us is to put everything on the altar....make it all dead to us....Some things he will take away utterly....and other things he will raise up again with an entirely different meaning. No matter what he does....He will always do....ALL THINGS WELL.

True. I went to college with a girl who played the trumpet. She was very good and this was going to be her ministry. One day she got sick and lost her ability to play. The dr said she wouldn't be able to play again, something wrong with her throat. She prayed for weeks, laying on her face before God and eventually asked God to help her live without her music instead of asking for healing. She went to sleep, God told her in a dream that the music had become and idol. She repented and told God she'd never play again if He wanted it that way. He said, you are healed, go play. She woke up and was healed. That summer she played with a traveling ministry, I forget who they were.

• Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Sierra

sw

And who still listens to Pink Floyd? :24:

Dude, we have teenagers across the street who listen to it and have all the old floyd shirts. Evidently they have a third generation thing going as I have contact with alot of high schools due to my work (school photographer). I would see all these floyd t shirts and I would say...you know, when I was in high school that shirt was old. They laugh and tell me all their friends like it. I looked into it and ... well.... not just a few younger people are into them.

:::: Shrugs:::

Do they eat broken glass, too? ;)

• Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Sierra

sw

Please don't make fun of my question. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

No offense, but I reserve the right to make fun of anything that appears to try and limit my freedom in Christ to drink Guiness or my other favorite beers or to listen to my favorite music. Your question implies and smacks of legalism and appears to turn Christianity into nothing more than a list of do's and don'ts. Although I would have to discuss more with you to determine the precise context of your question, from what I can tell your way of thinking is somewhat dangerous and is just one more attempt to fly the famous hot air balloon of good works as a way to get close to God. In other words, it turns Christianity into just another religion like all the rest that tries to work its way up the ladder of good works to God.

Although there is a place for the third use of the Law in the life of the believer, it remains that the primary purpose of the Law is to expose our sin. The demands of the Law are endless and require perfection every step of the way. It is a treadmill that never shuts off. To say we must live our lives by the Mosaic Law is an admission that you do not really understand what the Law requires of us. The rich young ruler thought he did and was humiliated by our Savior who tried to show him that he was not really keeping the Law in the least nor could he.

sw