• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I agree it doesn't really matter when the sins are forgiven, as God's point of view isn't limited by our concept of past or future, but that if we do remain sensitive to the Spirit's convictions, we will be forgiven. :wub:

Oh amen - AMEN !

Excellent point BLD. To add to Paul's theology on sin in his general epistle to the Church at Rome ("for all men have sinned"), John makes it clear in 1 John 1:8, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the Truth is not in us."

Humans sin. Sin is not so much an "act" (that is a transgression), but a state of existence. It is not being perfect, not being holy. Many of you know that the NT word sin comes from the translatin of the Gk noun harmatia - which was a common sporting term in archery that meant to miss the target, to miss the mark, to fall short of the goal. It describes that fact that we do not hit the center of the bullseye every moment of our life. Is there ever a time that God is taken by suprise when I fall short? Is he ever shocked when I miss the mark? When I do not perfectly respond to someting in my life does He ever think, "Boy I didn't see that one coming?" Praise the LORD no !!

So John concludes his thought in 1 John 1:9, "But if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and clense us from *all* unrighteousness." (emphasis mine.) :emot-hug:

God bless you, Shlomo. :huh:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

Maybe this is a little off track here but I gotta ask...

Does God forgive the sins we do not confess?

Give this some thought before you answer.

I really did have to think about this and pray about it before I took a stab.

I believe yes, He does. Taking a look at Shlomo's word dissection of the Greek NT word for sin, we see that it isn't necessarily a specific act that we're forgiven when we become saved. It's more of a state of being.

This is why it's said we're now free in Christ. Is this a liscense to sin? Paul says God forbid. We will be convicted by the Holy Spirit and we are told to live lives worthy of the Grace we've been given.

For a Christian living this sort of life, this question probably wouldn't come up. We'd sin, be convicted, and respond in the proper way, confessing, repenting, asking forgiveness. The Lord knows our heart. He also knows everything that's going to happen before it happens. We won't be in a situation where we're in unrepentant sin and we'll die before we're allowed a chance to confess and repent.

Guest drbelitz

Short answer - yes

if we are sorry for them and repentive and turn from them.

No God does NOT forgive all the sins we do not confess.

If it is deadly sins(mortal), you must confes it and ask forgiveness. this is normatively done through a bishop or priest of the Church, the one church Christ built upon kephas(rock).

john 20:21-23

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  997
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Philippians 2:12

"These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures(emphasis mine) daily, whether those things were so. " Acts 17:11

Paul is speaking to eternally secure saints, and the context seems to be in light of trials in the Christian life. Therefore, perhaps Paul may not even be referring to spiritual salvation, but of "salvation"/deliverance(saved=to be delivered from a life-threatening situation/harm/danger, whether/either physical or spiritual) of the local assembly of saints/believers from a disastrous split(notice Chapter 2 introductory verses is speaking to unity). Perhaps Paul is exhorting the Philippians saints to "work out" some type of solution to the problem of the split/division to "save", "deliver" the unity of their church from such.

Per Acts 17:11, "check it out" with "the Book", and have a "readiness of mind." When a believer is presented with something new, they/me do not always want to hear what has been said, and automatically reject the new idea/interpretation without "checking it out" from the Scriptures. The Acts 17 Bereans actually listened to what was being said, and desired to learn what it was that the word of God was saying to them. It was at that juncture that they would then look/search at what the Scriptures said.

In Christ,

John M. Whalen

Short answer - yes

What about the countless times we sin and don't realize it?

How can someone confess a sin they have no knowledge of?

Guest drbelitz

Short answer - yes

What about the countless times we sin and don't realize it?

we choose every sin that we sin, were are conscious of it. That is, if we know it is a sin, then we are culpible for it. you shoyld really read the official teaching on this matter. just go to yahoo and put in the searcgh word "catechism" and the very first one offered has a search utility. scborromeo.org? something like that.

peace to you.

How can someone confess a sin they have no knowledge of?

we choose every sin that we sin, were are conscious of it. That is, if we know it is a sin, then we are culpible for it. you shoyld really read the official teaching on this matter. just go to yahoo and put in the searcgh word "catechism" and the very first one offered has a search utility. scborromeo.org? something like that.

peace to you.

You really shouldn't be getting your teaching's off the internet. Not very wise.

You stated "if we know it is a sin". Do you really think God is going to hold it against us if we unknowingly sin? How can we confess something we have no knowledge of?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

My two cents worth

2:12 Having set forth the example of Christ in such brilliant luster, the apostle is now ready to press home the exhortation based on it.

The Philippians had always obeyed Paul when he was present with them. Now much more in his absence, they should work out their own salvation with fear and trembling.

Again we come to a passage of Scripture concerning which there has been much confusion. At the outset, we should be very clear that Paul is not teaching that salvation can be earned by works. Throughout his writings, he repeatedly emphasizes that salvation is not by works but by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. What then does the verse mean?

1. It may mean that we are to work out the salvation which God has placed within us. God has given us eternal life as a free gift. We are to live it out by lives of practical holiness.

2. Salvation here may mean the solution of their problem at Philippi. They had been plagued with squabbles and strife. The apostle has given them the remedy. Now they are to apply the remedy by having the mind of Christ. Thus they would work out their own salvation, or the solution of their difficulty.

The salvation spoken of here is not that of the soul, but deliverance from the snares which would hinder the Christian from doing the will of God. In a similar vein, Vine describes it as the present entire experience of deliverance from evil.

Salvation has many different meanings in the NT. Notice that in 1:19 it means deliverance from prison. In 1:28 it refers to the eventual salvation of our bodies from the very presence of sin. The meaning in any particular case must be determined in part, at least, by the context. I believe that in this passage salvation means the solution of the problem that was vexing the Philippians, that is, their contentions.

2:13 Now Paul reminds them that it is possible for them to work out their salvation because it is God who works in them both to will and to do for His good pleasure. This means that it is God who puts within us the wish or desire to do His will in the first place. Then He also works in us the power to carry out the desire.

Here again we have the wonderful merging of the divine and human. In one sense, we are called on to work out our salvation. In another sense, it is only God who can enable us to do it. We must do our part, and God will do His. (However, this does not apply to the forgiveness of sins, or to the new birth. Redemption is wholly the work of God. We simply believe and enter in.)

I hope this helps.

Edited by jgredline

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Content Count:  363
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Thank you folks for such great replies. I feel I understand the scripture now. It actually scared me!!! And I appreciate your thoughtful responses. May God bless you.

in Him;

-c-