• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Genesis 15

1. After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

2. And Abram said, Lord God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?

3. And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.

4. And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.

5. And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.

6. And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

7. And he said unto him, I am the Lord that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.

8. And he said, Lord God, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?

9. And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.

10. And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

11. And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.

12. And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.

13. And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;

14. And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.

15. And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.

16. But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

17. And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

18. In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

19. The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,

20. And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,

21. And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.

• Group:  Royal Member

Genesis 16

1. Now Sarai Abram's wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.

2. And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.

3. And Sarai Abram's wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife.

4. And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.

5. And Sarai said unto Abram, My wrong be upon thee: I have given my maid into thy bosom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: the Lord judge between me and thee.

6. But Abram said unto Sarai, Behold, thy maid is in thy hand; do to her as it pleaseth thee. And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled from her face.

7. And the angel of the Lord found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.

8. And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.

9. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.

10. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.

11. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction.

12. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

13. And she called the name of the Lord that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?

14. Wherefore the well was called Beerlahairoi; behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.

15. And Hagar bare Abram a son: and Abram called his son's name, which Hagar bare, Ishmael.

16. And Abram was fourscore and six years old, when Hagar bare Ishmael to Abram.

A lot of people use this chapter to legitimize polygamy. But Sarai regretted giving Abram her servant to bare him a child.

I dont think that God condoned it because He told Hagar to go back to Sarai and submit to her authority.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Genesis 15

1. After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

2. And Abram said, Lord God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?

3. And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.

4. And, behold, the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.

5. And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.

6. And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

7. And he said unto him, I am the Lord that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.

8. And he said, Lord God, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?

9. And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.

10. And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

11. And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away.

12. And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.

13. And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;

14. And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.

15. And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.

16. But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

17. And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

18. In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

19. The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,

20. And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,

21. And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.

Oh I got behind let me catch up if it is alright here only got one thing to add. As in verses 13-18 this is where the "covenant of promise" was made to Abraham before the "covenant of the law" was given through Moses. Abraham seed or descendants got down in Egypt through Joseph as his brothers sold him into slavery and God had told Abram here in verse 13 that his descendants would be slaves in a strange land being Egypt and they would be afflicted for a period of 400 years and after that time God would come and judge that nation and they would come out with great substance.

The "covenant of promise" was made here but the "covenant of the law" didn't come until after 400 years later when God delivered them from Egypt and brought them out and they entered into the "covenant of the law" being between them and God. It was entirely different than the covenant that was still in effect with Abram and God. And the "covenant of promise" was never disannulled or done away with. But the law of Moses with all it's sacrifices was done away with through Christ.

Hope this will open up other scriptures to others in

Galatians 3:6-9, 14, 16-18--you can see in verse 17 that it was actually 430 years meaning the "covenant of the law" which came through Moses didn't come until thirty years later after the children of Israel come out of Egypt being slaves their for 400 years.

OC

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Genesis 16

7. And the angel of the Lord found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.

8. And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.

9. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.

10. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.

11. And the angel of the Lord said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the Lord hath heard thy affliction.

12. And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

13. And she called the name of the Lord that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?

I think Sarah did a foolish thing that caused a lot of confusion even down to this our very day between the Spirit and the flesh as this is where it comes into play at. As Isaac was actually the seed by promise which is referencing the "covenant of promise" to Abram the child of promise from the Spirit of God. And because Sarah seem to have gotten impatient in the matter she took things into her own hands and gave Hagar to Abram as she concieves but Hagar's son was not the child that was made by promise to Abram by the Spirit of God. Now Ismael came about not by the will of God but by the will of the flesh and represent the "Flesh" and not of promise as Issac represent "Spirit"

vs 7-13

I do like the way the Lord had mercy on Hagar by sending a ministering angel unto her as she had only obeyed Sarah wishes and then Sarah treated her badly when she realized she had made a mistake in allowing it to happen and Hagar fled.

The angel of the Lord told her that her seed would be blessed exceedingly and to go back to Sarah and submit to her hands. and she was to call her son Ismael and that in vs 12 that he would be a wild man and would be against everybody and everybody would be against him as he would dwell or live among in the midst of his brethren so you have in this family of Abram now the children that came by faith in the promise God made being Isaac and then you have the child born of the flesh living among them fighting and striving against one another. As this is a picture of the flesh and Spirit that wars against one another in Galatians and also it is an allegory showing that the children who live after the flesh are not heirs with those who live after the Spirit as told to us in scriptures and hope this opens up the scriptures in

Galatians 4: 21-31

As far as poligomy goes I think it had to be allowed in the beginning to populate the earth but there did come a time in the law of Moses where restrictions was being made and placed upon who you was and wasn't suppose to be sleeping with. I just think one woman and one man is enough I know we live in the modern day and this was so way way back then. But I just can't fantom having to live like that. I see on tv programs alot about the mormons and the troubles they always having but it sure is not for me. It is a crazy :emot-hug: mixed up mess. Even in scriptures it can get very hard keeping up with who is who cause of it. not for me and I do not condone the practice of it.

OC

OC,

You have a really good grasp on Genesis so far. I have learned from both you and the scriptures.Thanks bunches!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  48
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/26/1964

I agree, you really do have a grasp on it OC, you really get deep down into the word and it helps all us of understand a bit better, thanks. This thread makes it so much easier to read through the Bible, I hope that it keeps going till the end.

:57_57::):57_57::57_57::mgqueen:

Edited by chattymae

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

JUST A JESTER,SISTER I HAVE BEEN AROUND MANY YEARS,AND I READ THE BIBLE TODAY,MANY OF THE AUTHORS,THAT ADDED BOOKS,WERE FOR GUIDENCE,FOR US TO LIVE BY,MY PERSONAL OPINION IS THAT IF YOU,OR SHOULD I SAY US ARE REALLY SERIOUS ABOUT,COMPLETE CONVICTION TO OUR LORD,THERE IS ONE BOOK THAT IF YOU CAN TRUELY DEVOTE YOURSELF TOO,AND ABIDE BY,THIS IS OUR LORD JESUS SPEAKING,THIS IS ALL A SINCRE PERSON REALLY NEEDS.THE BOOK IS MATTHEW,IF WE CAN LIVE BY EVERYTHING IN THIS BOOK WICH IS JESUS OWN WORDS,WELL I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SAY NO MORE!THIS IS JUST MY OPINION SISTER.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

We need to read the whole Bible. It's all the inspired Word of God. We're headed down a slippery slope if we begin to believe we can pick and choose what we'd like to live by and what's expendable.