• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

So there is no verse...didn't think so. Smoking is a manmade sin.

How simplistic are you? Of course it isn't in scripture! Neither is a lot of sins of this generation. Ther eis nothing new under the sun, however, and when you pollute the body, the temple, then you sin. Man-made? Huh! Sin is sin! all sin is man-made! :emot-highfive:

We are called to be pure physically as well. Sounds to me as if you want an excuse to smoke.

Proverbs 14:12

There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There is much about purity in scripture, and while there is nothing about smoking, there is definitely sopmething wrong with polluting the body with dangerous chemicals, and also in addictions.

Do you drink coffee?

Do you drink anything other than water?

Dangerous chemicals can be found in just about everything we eat and drink...and touch.

Look at all the things that went into the making of the computer you are on right now. I bet you could find a chemical or two that would be considered dangerous. And I would be willing to bet you are addicted to it. The computer that is.

And you are right...there is much talk about purity...but the purity that is spoken of is purity of the heart.

Read what Christ has to say to the scribes and pharisees. He too speaks of purity.

Care to respond to the rest of this?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

Read the whole chapter...what is it talking about?

1 Tim 5 19-22 is talking about accusation against an elder. It say's not to be prejudice or partial when it comes to deciding if "this person has sinned". Don't lay hands on him hastily..."don't accuse" because everyone else is accusing him (don't share in their sin of accusation) unless you are convinced with evidence that the accusation is true. Keep yourself pure (motives) when deciding to agree or disagree with the accusers. In other words don't agree with the accusers just to agree before knowing the truth.

There is much about purity in scripture, and while there is nothing about smoking, there is definitely sopmething wrong with polluting the body with dangerous chemicals, and also in addictions.

Do you drink coffee?

Dangerous chemicals can be found in just about everything we eat and drink...and touch.

Look at all the things that went into the making of the computer you are on right now. I bet you could find a chemical or two that would be considered dangerous. And I would be willing to bet you are addicted to it. The computer that is.

And you are right...there is much talk about purity...but the purity that is spoken of is purity of the heart.

Read what Christ has to say to the scribes and pharisees. He too speaks of purity.

I enjoy coffee in moderation. No sin in that. The Lord promises us safety and that things that would harm us won't.

Mark 16...

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

Do you drink coffee?

I enjoy coffee in moderation. No sin in that. The Lord promises us safety and that things that would harm us won't.

Mark 16...

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

Wait a minute...I'm confused. You are saying that smoking (even in moderation) is a sin but coffee isn't (even though it is not healthy) because the Lord promises us safety and that things that would harm us won't. Sounds like a contradiction.

Guest shiloh357

Smoking is a man made sin. The bible does not address this.

You are deceived in this matter, methinks.

Show me the verse.

1 Timothy 5:22

...and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.

There is much about purity in scripture, and while there is nothing about smoking, there is definitely sopmething wrong with polluting the body with dangerous chemicals, and also in addictions. Smoking falls in both those categories of impurity. It is best that a righteous man avoid touching his lips to it.

We are to be good stewards of our own health as the Holy Spirit lives in us...He is in control of all of us! We don't have dominion over certain parts!

This has nothing to do with smoking, nor can it be applied to such issue. Please examine the context. The verse exists within a line of thought regarding elders of the church. They are not receive a bad report about an elder without sufficient evidence and verification. Futhermore, they are not to "lay hands upon them suddenly" which applies to avoiding hasty ordinations.

It is a sin for an unqualified, improper person to take upon himself the office of pastor or teacher in the congregation, and those who forward him or advance his agenda participate in his sin.

If you are going to use Scripture, at least try to use Scripture that actually speaks to the issue.

Guest shiloh357

Do you drink coffee?

Mark 16...

Wait a minute...I'm confused. You are saying that smoking (even in moderation) is a sin but coffee isn't (even though it is not healthy) because the Lord promises us safety and that things that would harm us won't. Sounds like a contradiction.

Yep.... MAJOR contradiction.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

wait a minute people...the logic of this matter is getting away from us.

Cigarettes kill!!! People who smoke are made very aware of the fact that they kill us..."thou shalt not kill"

I have yet to see warning labels on coffee cans telling us that coffee causes, lung disease, heart disease and can cause birth defects in unborn children. I have yet to see millions of dollars spent on anti-coffee drinking campaigns because of its lethal health effects.......in fact coffee contains anti-oxidants that oxygenate our blood and helps us to fight infections, they also clean our systems of the free radicals that float around in the air. Do we want to drink copious amounts of it..I should hope not because we need clear fluids to clean our filtering systems with in the body...but there is a tremendous difference in drinking coffee verses smoking cigarettes when it comes to health and bondage.

If we are doing things to our bodies that can cause us death we are participating in our own murders. Car crashes happen, choking on a bite of food happens..these are known as accidents. There is nothing accidental about dying because of addiction. And if we participate in the things that we know can and will kill us then we are purposely committing slow suicide.."thou shalt not KILL"

Edited by jackie d

wait a minute people...the logic of this matter is getting away from us.

Cigarettes kill!!! People who smoke are made very aware of the fact that they kill us..."thou shalt not kill"

I have yet to see warning labels on coffee cans telling us that coffee causes, lung disease, heart disease and can cause birth defects in unborn children. I have yet to see millions of dollars spent on anti-coffee drinking campaigns because of its lethal health effects.......

If we are doing things to our bodies that can cause us death we are participating in our own murders. Car crashes happen, choking on a sip of coffee happens..these are known as accidents. There is nothing accidental about dying because of addiction. And if we participate in the things that we know can and will kill us then we are purposely committing slow suicide.."thou shalt not KILL"

Amen, sistah! :emot-highfive:

Do you drink coffee?

Mark 16...

I fail to see a contradiction! Smoke is a foreign substance to our bodies. We should not partake in such a thing...logically, even. I have never stated that smoking even in moderation is the least bit okay.