• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

know what you mean about a WB fix. I am completely hooked on this site myself. I think I'm addicted. :b: Is there a support group for that? Maybe a 12 step process?

Hello, My name is Biblicist and I am addicted to WB. I have been WB free for 30 days.

:41: Hello Biblicist. . .

[i mean no disrespect to those who have real addictions]

My pastor teaches us that when you wish to end a habit you need to replace it with another one, particularly a bad habit with a good one. I stopped watching television to chat on Worthy.

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

:24:

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

know what you mean about a WB fix. I am completely hooked on this site myself. I think I'm addicted. :24: Is there a support group for that? Maybe a 12 step process?

Hello, My name is Biblicist and I am addicted to WB. I have been WB free for 30 days.

My pastor teaches us that when you wish to end a habit you need to replace it with another one, particularly a bad habit with a good one. I stopped watching television to chat on Worthy.

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

I must admit that I, too, must go to the next Web Anonymous meeting. :41::24:

• Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

know what you mean about a WB fix. I am completely hooked on this site myself. I think I'm addicted. :41: Is there a support group for that? Maybe a 12 step process?

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

I must admit that I, too, must go to the next Web Anonymous meeting. :24::24:

Save me a seat. I'll probably be late 'cause I can't get away from my computer. :b::24:

(do you think Bibl's clown smilie is a little scary, too? :41: )

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Good thread.

I have a question about prayer and I still don't get it.

Can a Catholic pray to a dead person? I saw a Bishop on Ewtn saying he prayed to Pope John PaulII, and I didn't get it? Can a Catholic pray to the Virgin Mary?

What is intersession prayer?

An understanding of this hinges on 2 things:

1. the definition of the word "prayer"

2. the belief that saints who have died are alive in Christ and are interested in our lives here on earth

I realize that you may disagree; I only ask that you try to understand.

So, yes, we can "pray" to "dead people". :b:

1. In the Catholic mind, there are different meanings for the word "prayer"; just as in the dictionary.

When I "pray" to Mary, I am not worshipping her. I am simply asking her to pray for me to God. Just as I would ask you to pray for me.

2. I believe that Mary cares about me and will take my intentions to Jesus, just as she did for the bridegroom at the wedding in Cana. I believe that Mary is alive in the very presence of God.

To be honest, I probably engage in less of this type of prayer than some Catholics. Maybe I've been hanging around Protestants too much. :24: But I do believe it is biblically acceptable.

(edited by mod)

Peace,

Fiosh

I am a former Catholic, left the religion five years ago. I have studied Catholicism and the Catholic doctrine in depth since leaving the Catholic chuch, frankly had I studied it prior to leaving the church, I would have left long before that. I had blinders on. I simply cannot reconcile the position that Mary has been given by the Catholic church, nor can accept the continual resacrifice of Jesus Christ on the altar daily (weekly). Mary IS clearly venerated by the Catholic church and why would anyone desire to pray to Mary when Jesus Christ sent His Holy Spirit as our Intercessor? Jesus is the One that I pray to.......... Mary was just a favored girl chosen as a vessel, a virgin at the time of her conception nothing more, Jesus had siblings, Mary had a marital relationship with her husband as the Bible states. Jesus Christ wants a personal relationship with us. We no longer require the priests of Old Testament type to go into the Holy Place for us, the veil has been rent and Jesus through His Holy Spirit desires to communicate with us personally. I went to confession for years, and spiritually I never could be forgiven. Until I went to throne of grace myself, and Jesus personally forgave me, it did not work for I went to man to ask for the forgiveness that only Jesus can supply. Thank you God for setting me free, free from the bonds of religion and into the freedom of knowing You personally. Saved and filled with His Holy Spirit. Glory to God. May I suggest that you loose yourself, Jesus is waiting.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Good thread.

I have a question about prayer and I still don't get it.

Can a Catholic pray to a dead person? I saw a Bishop on Ewtn saying he prayed to Pope John PaulII, and I didn't get it? Can a Catholic pray to the Virgin Mary?

What is intersession prayer?

An understanding of this hinges on 2 things:

1. the definition of the word "prayer"

2. the belief that saints who have died are alive in Christ and are interested in our lives here on earth

I realize that you may disagree; I only ask that you try to understand.

So, yes, we can "pray" to "dead people". :b:

1. In the Catholic mind, there are different meanings for the word "prayer"; just as in the dictionary.

When I "pray" to Mary, I am not worshipping her. I am simply asking her to pray for me to God. Just as I would ask you to pray for me.

2. I believe that Mary cares about me and will take my intentions to Jesus, just as she did for the bridegroom at the wedding in Cana. I believe that Mary is alive in the very presence of God.

To be honest, I probably engage in less of this type of prayer than some Catholics. Maybe I've been hanging around Protestants too much. :24: But I do believe it is biblically acceptable.

(edited by mod)

Peace,

Fiosh

I am a former Catholic, left the religion five years ago. I have studied Catholicism and the Catholic doctrine in depth since leaving the Catholic chuch, frankly had I studied it prior to leaving the church, I would have left long before that. I had blinders on. I simply cannot reconcile the position that Mary has been given by the Catholic church, nor can accept the continual resacrifice of Jesus Christ on the altar daily (weekly). Mary IS clearly venerated by the Catholic church and why would anyone desire to pray to Mary when Jesus Christ sent His Holy Spirit as our Intercessor? Jesus is the One that I pray to.......... Mary was just a favored girl chosen as a vessel, a virgin at the time of her conception nothing more, Jesus had siblings, Mary had a marital relationship with her husband as the Bible states. Jesus Christ wants a personal relationship with us. We no longer require the priests of Old Testament type to go into the Holy Place for us, the veil has been rent and Jesus through His Holy Spirit desires to communicate with us personally. I went to confession for years, and spiritually I never could be forgiven. Until I went to throne of grace myself, and Jesus personally forgave me, it did not work for I went to man to ask for the forgiveness that only Jesus can supply. Thank you God for setting me free, free from the bonds of religion and into the freedom of knowing You personally. Saved and filled with His Holy Spirit. Glory to God. May I suggest that you loose yourself, Jesus is waiting.

Like Jesus said...

John 8:31-32; "31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  72
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

RE: Praying to saints

The RCC doesn't point to a single Bible verse to discern doctrines and practices. The Church looks at what the Bible teaches in context and considers the whole picture. So, to explain why the Church follows certain practices is not as easy at simply citing a passage. After all, we've had 2,000 years to study Scripture and Tradition.

Here's the short answer:

*We are encouraged to pray for each other. (Rom 15:30; Col 4:3; I Thess 5:25; 2 Thess1:11; 2 Thess 3:1; Eph 6: 18-19

*Saints in heaven are not dead, but alive in the Presence of God (Mk 12: 26-27; Mk 9:4; Lk 23:43; Rev 6: 9-11; Rom 8:35)

* Saints are aware of our battle here on earth ( Heb 12:1, REv 20:4)

So, it logically follows that we can ask saints to intercede/pray for us.

Peace,

Fiosh

:b:

Not really. It does, however, logically follow that they are alive in the presense of God. No where in the Scriptures does it suggest that we here on earth can communicate with anyone who is not alive in the flesh here on earth. There's only one that is still alive that we can communicate with in a biblical manner: Jesus. He rose in physical, fleshly form. He's the only one.

Also, there's the penance question. How come Catholicism teaches penance (sp?)? (I'm still waiting for the answer)

RE "How come Catholicism teaches penance "

Because Scripture and the early Church Fathers insist upon it:

Matt 6: 1-18

I Peter 4: 1-2

Is 1: 16-18

I don't see where Matt 6:1-18 has to do with penance, neither in 1 Peter 4"1-2, and niether in Is 1:16-18.

Penance comes from the word punishment. I asked the question because I see nothing Biblical we can do in punishment to ourselves (whether repetetive prayer or public humiliation) to be forgiven any more than we are when we simply ask with a sincere heart.

I suppose I have a lot of problems with the practices of Catholicism, and that's why I'm not Catholic in religion, but am Catholic as part of the universal body of Christ.

I do, however, believe that we can love each other even though we have differences. :24:

God bless!

Webster defines penance as: " an act performed to show sorrow or repentance for sin"

The Catechism defines it as...

Interior penance: a conversion of heart toward God and away from sin, which implies the intention to change one's life because of hope in divine mercy

Exterior penance: acts of penance include fasting, prayer and almsgiving.

Penance is no more "punishing ourselves" than physical exercise, for the purpose of conditioning the body, is punishment.

Those verses demonstrate that acts of repentance are good in God's eyes.

Peace

Fiosh

I've never thought of excersize of punishing myself. When asking for forgiveness, I'm not punishing myself... lol

When I fast, it's so I can get closer to God, not so that I can deprive myself and punish myself. If my focus is to deprive myself and punish myself of what I've done wrong, and in the process, get closer to God, I don't believe that's biblical.

However, If my focus is to get closer to God, and punishment isn't even in my mind, then it's good. If I do something to my body as punishment that makes me feel beter from what I did wrong, then I'm actually saying, "I can pay for my own sin, while still seeking forgiveness from God." We cannot add to anything. We just need to repent and recieve. That's all. And that's my perspective... :24:

God bless!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Yes most definitely. If you grow up in the Catholic Church, You will be baptized as an infant. This is where the parents faith is affective for the child. But then as a child grows up they receive teaching so that they can understand and receive their own faith. We have sacraments that are very public that a child will participate in. Their first communion, the sacrament of reconciliation (repentance) and then confirmation. Confirmation is when a child declares in front of the entire Church what his/her faith is. this is preceded by repentance, and much instruction/teaching so that the Child knows exactly what he/she is professing. If a person comes to the Church at a later time, the process is done at one time, first by good teaching, then baptism, confession, and public declaration and celebration with the Eucharist. \\But it doesn't stop there. That is the beginning. The Church also helps with the middle and the end.

God Bless,

K.D.

K.D.

You speak a lot of what humans do to receive salvation, getting baptized, sacraments, confirmation, public declaration and celebration with the Eucharist. The church helping with the "middle and the end"? Not sure what that means.

The Bible clearly teaches that salvation is a gift and there is nothing man can do to receive it.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do " (Eph. 2:8,9).

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. (Romans 3:27,28)

Also, infant baptism. Baptize comes from the latin word bap-tid'-zo (from Strongs) 1) to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)

2) to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one's self, bathe

Christ was immersed when he was an adult [remember He is our example] and "those who accepted His message were baptized" (Acts 2:37-38,41-42). When we are baptized as Christ was, we mimic his death, burial and resurrection. Matthew 20:22, 23

I can understand parents having their child sprinkled in Baby Dedication, promising to raise their child in knowledge and understanding of Christ. Training them in the way they should go to salvation. It, in no way, replaces Believers Baptism. It, in no way, saves a soul. It does not change the childs heart status. An infant cannot express the repentance, faith and commitment necessary for salvation. It is not immersion. An infant does not have the intellectual understanding to understand what he/she is doing.

I appreciate your answers to my questions. "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear" (1 Peter 3:15)

In His Mighty Grip,

Bib

Evidently I wasn't very clear with my response, sorry about that. I agree that Gods Grace is a gift. No matter what we do we don't deserve it, but God offers it any way. But there are strings. The notion that it is free is simply not true. If it were free with no strings then everyone would be saved no matter what their circumstances. We must repent, change our hearts, and believe and trust in Jesus. We must make him our master. The examples I gave are ways that the Catholic Church helps people in this process. It help provide avenues for people to find, understand, and have a relationship with Christ. The church provides an avenue for the person to personally proclaim it and to live by their proclamation. It provides help along the journey to reconcile a persons relationship to Jesus, and to sustain this relationship to the end. God set up his church to do exactly this. He uses the Church for this purpose. The Bible tells us this. So by this, it is God working through the Church, it is not just the Church. So the glory is not to the Church but to God working through the Church. The Glory is Gods

As far as baptism the bible does give us examples where it was through the faith of some one else that a person received Gods Grace. It is also in the Bible that we see that whole families were instructed to be Baptized including the infant children. So the understanding of infant Baptism as just a dedication is not biblical. Yes I agree that at some point God will insist that we stand on our own. We will be judged by our own fruits. But do not discount the power of Gods Grace granted through the faith of a parent or spouse.

God Bless,

K.D

ps. For many they can point to a specific time when they finally saw the truth and dedicated themselves to Jesus. But for many of us who were brought up in a loving christian family it was never one single event. I honestly can not remember ever a time in my life that I did not believe in Jesus Christ. It has always been their to the earliest of my memories. I have on numerous occasions deepened in my faith, and struggled in my faith. I have been on fire and been not so on fire. I have publicly declared my faith, and privately declared my faith, I have lived it well and lived it not so well. The Catholic Church has helped me through this process. It has always been a sanctuary for re-connecting with Jesus. It works because this is how God set it up to work. We see in the Bible that this is Gods plan. The cornerstone is Jesus and from this he built a Church. God clearly states that he will use his Church. Gods plan have not changed.

God Bless,

K.D.

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Saints,

The moderators are reviewing this thread. It will close temporarily

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

After talking with some of the other Mods, we have decided to permanently close this thread. Worthy is not about denominations. It is not fiar of us to provide a forum for one particular denomination. The initial purpose of the thread was to show the differences between Catholicism and Orthodox Evangelical Christianity. That purpose has been served.