IGNORED

Do you know where "Christmas" came from?

The Journey

Guest tarrier

Sorry about the slang!

A "cop-out" means trying to excuse yourself, making excuses.  In this case I wrote about, I'm asking that when we say things like "who follows all the commandments anyway?" and "who of us is sin-less?" and "we're all human" etc etc aren't we using our weakness of the flesh as an excuse as not to STRIVE to do right?  Not adhering to "....be ye holy as I am holy...."  Does this make sense?  

Tarrier

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Do you celebrate your own birthday, or those of your immediate family?

Do you celebrate the death of Jesus?

Maybe you celebrate His resurrection.

Just not clear.

Yes, I agree. It's a cop-out.

Don't use those cop-outs anymore.

Not everyone does. There are those who BELIEVE they are not of this world, therefore not human as you think human is. Some will not see death. Same as Enoch and Elijah and others that I know. Jesus said, "ye are gods" He was speaking to you. If God is truly your Father, which He is. And you are made in His likeness and image. Than what are you? We didn't begin tripartites, only when we came to this physical realm did we recieve flesh. But glory to God, many are remembering who they truly are!!!! Be ye perfect means "BE YE PERFECT"

Ps 82:6

I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Isa 41:23

Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together.

John 10:34

Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Rom 2:7

To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

1 Cor 15:53

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

1 Cor 15:54

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

1 Tim 6:16

Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

2 Tim 1:10

But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Be ye perfect....do what is right.....I would say every believer would hold to these messages.

I do believe in Psalm 82:6 they are referring to the rulers and judges of Israel--again  Jesus is referring to Psalm 82 in John 10:34. In  the ancient Near East, rulers and judges could be given the honorary title of "god".

These verses do not speak of us as gods, for we are human. We can only become perfect through Christ. The word perfect does not mean without flaw, but mature. We are made in the image and likeness of God--that we can reflect His character of love, kindness, faithfulness, forgiveness. We cannot be totally like God, because God is our creator.

Jesus' birth, life, ministry, death and resurrection are all important facets of God's means to make a way for all to have eternal life with Him. The Christmas season is meant to celebrate and remember the event of His birth.  Easter is the the season to remember and celebrate Christ's death and resurrection. Each Sunday we come together to celebrate the Good News of Jesus as a community.

If you think that by not putting up a Christmas you are more holy than those who do, then certainly, be ye holy. In fact, you seem to view Christmas as evil. I would not want you to be partaking in Christmas in that light. Just be wary of becoming legalistic in your thinking, for our  deeds and obedience comes from the Spirit, and not for outward appearance.

Guest FishMan

The celebration of December 25 as Christmas is a tradition of men, and I refuse to let any man dictate the manner of appropriate worship, especially when obscure and extremely secular (and even pagan) symbols are incorporated into the holiday's observance.

I'll stick to the plain revelation of scripture to show me how God desires to be worshiped, because He plainly shows us. Sometimes I feel like since we are under grace and not law, the church views God as no longer having an "opinion", that He somehow will conform to whatever we determine to be the best way of doing things. My feeling on this goes well beyond Christmas.

I do not condemn any Christian who chooses to celebrate the holiday. I simply cannot do it with a clear conscience, so for me it is best to stay away from it.

Hi Fish-

As I have said before, if that is your conviction then you should follow that....however, you made a good point when you said, "I do not condemn any Christian who chooses to celebrate the holidays".....maybe you should reread some of the prior postings, for they certainly seem as though they are condemning those who do not necessarily agree.

I would not say I worship Christmas, I am not sure how you would do that. I do not worship our tree, or santa, or the tinsel....or the nativity scene we set up, or any of the "things".  It is just part of a holiday. It is a great time to share the Gospel message of Christ with those who may not be open to it at other times. It is a time to remember and be grateful for God's Son, our Savior.  His birth may not have been celebrated until the 300's AD, but then it was tradition to celebrate only the anniversary of the death of "known" persons.  But it is a time when the entire world becomes aware that Christians celebrate the birth of their King and Savior. How awesome is that!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The celebration of December 25 as Christmas is a tradition of men, and I refuse to let any man dictate the manner of appropriate worship, especially when obscure and extremely secular (and even pagan) symbols are incorporated into the holiday's observance.

I'll stick to the plain revelation of scripture to show me how God desires to be worshiped, because He plainly shows us. Sometimes I feel like since we are under grace and not law, the church views God as no longer having an "opinion", that He somehow will conform to whatever we determine to be the best way of doing things. My feeling on this goes well beyond Christmas.

I do not condemn any Christian who chooses to celebrate the holiday. I simply cannot do it with a clear conscience, so for me it is best to stay away from it.

This is precisely why I, learning this year that Christmas is not Christ's birthday and is actually pagan. I will not be "celebrating" next year. This year was the "finale".

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  455
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

In recent years, after praying fervently to be enabled to worship in spirit and truth, and praying for wisdom and understanding of the Word;....I have....

Left the "corporate church" , after learning the true pattern of a NT assembly. ( that is a thread of it's own!)

Turned from the paganistic rituals at christmas.

Watch less than 2% of TV that I used to (and that wasn't much)

Don't see the movies made of trash.(almost 100% of them)

STRIVE towards obedience (I'm not saying I'm perfect)

In other words, we saints need to repent from the world's voice, and listen to the small still voice of the Lord.

I know...,I know....I get labeled "legalistic" wherever I go.

Blessings, Carl  :exclaimation:

You know Carl, that is funny, cause I used to be alot more like you a few years back. I am not going to judge you right or wrong,  however, I was pretty judgemental and I also began to think that there was one way and that would be the right way and of course that was essentially "my" way or what I thought was the "Lord's way". I am not by any means insinuating you are like this. When I say I was like you, I mean that I would have been labeled legalistic...and maybe rightly so.  I  do know that the opposite of being labeled legalistic is being lukewarm where everything is ok....neither is very good is it. We want to be so much pleasing to the Lord, that we get into  our heads some kind of set of rules to live by....and as I said the opposite is just as dangerous where we dont realize that we are to be a holy people.  That is why we lean to the Lord through the Word and Holy Spirit to direct us, prompt us, edify us, and correct us.  I have come to learn that it is all about our hearts --whether we see Christmas as a joyous season of Jesus' birth, or as a pagan manmade ritual, it is all about our hearts desire to love please and serve Him.