bhakthi

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

"But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery." Mathew;5:32

Since Lord Jesus Christ plainly stated like this about divorce why some people think divorce is ok? The words of the Lord reveals that divorce is extremely sinful adding sin to sin.This is why Jesus probably said like this,"If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." Mark;8:38 The Lord rightly called this 'a sinful and adulterous generation'.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest incognito44
"But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery." Mathew;5:32

Since Lord Jesus Christ plainly stated like this about divorce why some people think divorce is ok? The words of the Lord reveals that divorce is extremely sinful adding sin to sin.This is why Jesus probably said like this,"If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels." Mark;8:38 The Lord rightly called this 'a sinful and adulterous generation'.

The simple but not simplistic answer is that people have added a humanistic viewpoint into what jesus and the Bible say about this subject. Similarly the view of homosexual behaviour has been distorted by humanistic thought.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

You don't know how anyone feels about divorce unless you ask each person individually.

Amen Cobalt.

Divorce is a spiritual example of our relationship with Jesus Christ. Paul said so in Ephesians.

Ephesians 5:

31For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.(D)

32This mystery is very great, but I speak concerning [the relation of] Christ and the church.

Divorce is something that does happen (I've been divorced twice myself due to marital unfaithfulness and for my own safety). God doesn't hate "divorce", God hates "unfaithfulness" because that is sin. We are in a covenant relationship with God by the blood of Jesus Christ and when we get married (make covenant with another person) it is just as serious spiritually. As Cobalt so definitively expresses, I agree that "unless you have been there ... you can't truly say much about it". Not to me anyway ... I know experientially what it's about and the problems it can create in this life.

May God grant each person here discernment of truth in what scripture says. Jesus himself said divorce would happen. It's a part of life here in this world of sin where we reside. Just because someone gets divorced, it doesn't mean that God hates him or her. It means that the parties involved weren't "faithful" to the committment of the marriage covenant in some form or fashion. "Unfaithfulness" is the sin ... not divorce. Be clear on that please. There are many children of God who have experienced divorce and they must know that God's mercy is everlasting and there is "hope" for their future in Him.

Shalom.

Guest Jude 1:3

The only instance in which a person can remarry is the death of their partner. If they are divorced, they would have to wait until the ex-husband/ex-wife dies until they can remarry. Anything else is an abomination in the sight of God.

The only instance in which a person can remarry is the death of their partner. If they are divorced, they would have to wait until the ex-husband/ex-wife dies until they can remarry. Anything else is an abomination in the sight of God.

divorce is NOT the unforgivable sin. my second marriage is in no way an abomination in the site of God. HE ordained my second marriage. in fact, He was the one that orchestrated the events that led us together. but in between my divorce from my first husband and my marriage to my second, there were many years of soul searching and spiritual growth.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

The scenario:

My first marriage was impulsive, and both my wife and myself were far too young (23 and 21 years old). This ended in a divorce.

Two decades later I met a woman who was in the process of leaving an abusive, alcoholic/addict, non-Christian man.

This woman brought about changes in my life that this page is far too short to list. I in turn awakened her faith and led her back to Christ. She is the absolute light of my day (taking nothing away from my Lord), the best friend I have ever had, the most comforting presence next to God I have ever known, and I am blessed to have her. She has told me these same things she feels about me. I am more in love with her today, after 8 years, than I was when we first fell in love, and it only continues to grow more on a daily basis.

When we try to gauge our effectiveness as Christians, one of the criteria we are to look at is who we have led to Christ. My wife's daily acknowledgement, prayer, thanksgiving, and reliance on God through Christ is a direct result of our union. And so, I cannot believe that my marriage is "condemned", when the end result of the breaking of our previous unions has led to such a beautiful, love centered, faith building, God seeking marriage.

I am more prone to believe that my divorce, like my other previous sins, through grace was forgiven by my repentant prayer and plea for forgiveness for having done it. I am not saying that I easily condone divorce as a solution, but when necessary, I don't think that it necessarily condemns us either.

J.M.V

in Christ

-C-

Guest Jude 1:3

*sigh* Some people just don't get it.

Some people pervert the words of the Bible because they don't like what it says. :emot-heartbeat:

*sigh* Some people just don't get it.

Some people pervert the words of the Bible because they don't like what it says. :emot-heartbeat:

and some people are such legalists that they miss the message of grace.

it was God who said that the ONLY unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. if you really think that divorce = blasphemy of the HS, then maybe you should go explain to God why He needs a better dictionary.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

and some people are such legalists that they miss the message of grace.

it was God who said that the ONLY unforgivable sin is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. if you really think that divorce = blasphemy of the HS, then maybe you should go explain to God why He needs a better dictionary.

Well said sister, always a pleasure to read your posts :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I am a conservative traditional Christian and hold the literal meaning of the bible in most cases including marriage. However domestic abuse, violence, the use power and control through violence and threats have already ended any marriage. No believing women have to feel that God wants or desires her to stay in a marriage with a violent or abusive man. Abuse is the same as leaving the faith of Christ, you are with an unbeliever regardless of what he may claim or show to the world, and in these cases you should leave and divorce and are free biblically to do so. We should all pray for women who are held hostage in these relationships and their children.

We must be very clear that we do not desire from a Christian standpoint that these women stay legally married to these abusive men, the have the biblical right to divorce and remarry.