• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/14/2006

The death penalty was giving me a bit of trouble the other day when I really started to think about it. So I think to myself, "Well, if only there was a community where I could post a question and get a Christian answer from someone I can trust!" Helloooo, Worthyboards.

On one hand, the Bible says "Do not kill" and the Lord frequently states that "Vengance shall be mine." As imperfect humans, we cannot make a perfect judgement on a person. On the other hand, in the Old Testament and even in the New it talked about people being stoned to death for their sins. (Let those who have not sinned throw the first stone...)

So my question: do the court systems, being a human power, have the right to decide when a life will end? Since we are imperfect as is stated earlier, no court ruling will be exactly fair.

Please keep in mind that I have NO OPINION as of right now; I'm coming here to ask what my fellow Christian brothers and sisters think in accordance to the Bible. I am not saying that it is wrong or right, so please do not get angry at me. o_O

Thanks.

Edited by Akiko

unfortunately you're going to get conflicting answers from those who don't believe that the OT, and the NT in romans 13 is applicable today. God instituted the death penalty, and the authority to enact it is given by God to the governing authorities. however, PERSONAL vengeance (such as vigilante groups, or individual revenge, etc.,) is forbidden. we are to be peaceful as individuals and rely upon the authority granted by God to the governing powers to bring about justice on earth... and with the knowledge that if earthly justice fails, God's justice will prevail in eternity.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

The Commandment is for us as individuals. We are not to kill. When we do, the government has the authority under God to act as judge, jury and executioner, and even mercy-giver.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

The Commandment is for us as individuals. We are not to kill. When we do, the governement has the authority under God to act as judge, jury and executioner, and even mercy-giver.

this say it all in a nutshell

:emot-pray:

OC

Aside from which, the commandment, thou shall not kill, if translated into modern English accurately, would be "Thou shall not commit murder". Killing happens in war, in the bible war was at times commanded by God, so mere killing, cannot be a sin. It is prescribed for crimes much less that murder and rape, or at least, what most people might consider less these days: adultery, homosexuality, witchcraft, and even disobedience to parents (I'll have to look that one up, it was not minor disobedience - but more like a gang-banger type today), a man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, was to be executed, blasphemers etc. Capital punishment cannot be viewed as sinful.

That being said, you are free to chose not to endorse it, if your conscious won't allow it, then you have to stand against it, or at least, not take part in any way. Certainly one can make a reasonable case, that loving our enemies, is expected of the Christian, and perhaps under that idea, remedies other than capital punishment should be pursued.

Personally, I find it hard to expect tax payers to pay for the encarceration of an individual for life, but the way the system is in the United States, it costs less to give a man life in prison, that to execute him. With that in mind, and the fact that a longer life gives increased opportunity to find the Lord, I can see opting for a life term instead. I a Christian commits a murder, I would be less inclined to show him the same mercy, in as much as he is ready to meet his creator.

No one can play Holy Spirit for you, you will have to be convince in your own mind, where you are with this, and the decision, is between you and God.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

The Commandment is for us as individuals. We are not to kill. When we do, the government has the authority under God to act as judge, jury and executioner, and even mercy-giver.

I was going to go into a long winded explanation and I was reading through the responses...and I'm sorry but I just can't put it any more succinctly and more clearly than this. :emot-pray:

Yes, but it is an individual who is throwing the switch. The government as an institution cannot execute anyone. They have to appoint someone to be the killer.

He who is without sin, cast the first stone. Is the executioner to be considered sinless?

It's "Vengeance is mine" saith the Lord....Not "Vengeance is yours, do as you see fit".

I believe locking someone up for the rest of their life is far more painful then strapping them to a table and stopping their heart.

That is just my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree....we all have our own path we must follow.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

One of the biblical solutions for governments to violent crimes such as murder is the death penalty. It's perhaps the most important key to having a JUST legal system and a safe society. Man didn't invent capital punishment. God commanded it in no uncertain terms from Genesis to Revelation to affirm the sacredness of innocent human life. When convi8cted killers receive less than the supreme penalty - MUCH less as they usually do - innocent life is demeaned and closure is difficult to come by. Romans Chapter Thirteen (with respect to GOVERNMENTAL action, not PERSONAL response) could not be any clearer: governments under God do not implement "the sword in vain" (Greek, machira, the executioner's sword) when they employ the death penalty as the necessary antidote to the poisonous influence of evil people. Actually, All humankind is under an eternal death penalty (1 Corinthians 15:22a), save for the intervention of Christ's sacrificial death & glorious resurrection. Further, the death penalty is being carried out today in EVERY nation by mad-dog murderers who slaughter innocent citizens & even loved ones. It's my earnest contention that this procedure should be immediately reversed so that the innocent remain alive & the guilty perpetrators are extinguished.

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

Guest nicholus

You all make good points and they are hard to argue with. I myself do not believe in the death penalty. There are two main reasons. One) How do we know the one being trialed is really innocent. I mean Jesus was treated as if he was a terrible criminal. Yet he was innocent. Can you imagine what Mary felt seeing her beloved son die for things he didn't do? Two) These are the days of grace. How do we know that one of those men might be a great preacher one day.

Now that that is said I don't believe that they should be allowed to be free from prison. I do believe in life without parol.

That is why executions are more merciful to a miserable criminal than life in prison, a small cell, solitary 23-hours/day. But, the real deal is that people who oppose executions are evil, without mercy for the innocent. Executions saves lives.

It should be 24 hours a day.

And who are you to call someone who opposes executions evil?

What does mercy for the innocent have to do with it?

And how does executions save lives?