• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Read this before ""Cheney's remarks fuel torture debate" it explains what it is all about.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington...nathan_s_landay

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Your point being..........?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Leonard somehow I think you might be being sarcastic, but you are still saying that you think that "waterboarding" is not torture, and you are putting out some bait and I can't resist taking it.

The point is: What sort of a sicko freak would advocate the use of a technique that makes people feel as if they are dying of drowning repeatedly?

Putting someone in water where they cannot breathe until they pass out only to bring them to and repeat the process is probably one of the WORST forms of torture there is.

Cheney has to be a sadistic psychopath to believe that waterboarding isn't torture. Either that, or a purposely misleading.

Cheney's comment of: ""Would you agree that a dunk in water is a no-brainer if it can save lives?" Makes me just really sick.

Plus Cheney has just signed the OK for other countries to subject American soldiers to waterboarding.

Can you justify any of this? Or can anyone else?

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Actually, Buck- You are right.

Let's take all of this torture stuff off the table and switch tactics. It's only working on a limited basis anyway.

Instead of taking baby steps with these people, let's simply let them know that we are not playing any longer.

Here's my suggestion:

First, let's set a date- say Jan 1st, 2007. That should be enough time for the big news to spread to every home in the world.

The big news? Well, we will give them this ultimatum: One single terrorist action- one bombing, one kidnapping, one roadside bomb, anything, after the Jan 1 deadline, will be cause enough to blow Mecca, Medina, Kabul, Kahndahar, Pyongyang, and Tehran off the map with all the nukes we can muster.

If they continue after that, we can then target other cities in Syria, Jordan, lebanon, and France, as well.

Perhaps it's time to make them pay?

t.

All of our agents that are working in areas where they could be captured and questioned, and most of our special forces in that area.

So this is a procedure we use on our own people to show them what is going to happen. This is a commom practice amoung all nations as a method to get people to talk.

It is said that it can not be resisted and it can not harm or damage a person. It works off of thier fears.

I am sorry if people don't understand that you can't offer them coffee and tea and sit around and let them tell you how they were planning to bomb, but it does not work that way.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Cheney's comment of: ""Would you agree that a dunk in water is a no-brainer if it can save lives?"

I agree with Cheney.

Maybe if we waterboarded a few before 911, a few more lives would be here for their families.

Mental mind games during an interrogation is nothing compared to hacking away at someones neck on video for the world to see as the guy screams in pain until he chokes on his own blood and cant scream anymore. Then only to have his head held up in front of the camera for his family.

If waterboarding is what it takes to get these monsters to talk, then so be it.

Leonard somehow I think you might be being sarcastic, but you are still saying that you think that "waterboarding" is not torture, and you are putting out some bait and I can't resist taking it.

The point is: What sort of a sicko freak would advocate the use of a technique that makes people feel as if they are dying of drowning repeatedly?

Putting someone in water where they cannot breathe until they pass out only to bring them to and repeat the process is probably one of the WORST forms of torture there is.

Cheney has to be a sadistic psychopath to believe that waterboarding isn't torture. Either that, or a purposely misleading.

Cheney's comment of: ""Would you agree that a dunk in water is a no-brainer if it can save lives?" Makes me just really sick.

Plus Cheney has just signed the OK for other countries to subject American soldiers to waterboarding.

Can you justify any of this? Or can anyone else?

You are either deliberately obfuscating or you know nothing of actual torture.

Ted: Not a bad idea, but I think I disagree with some of your initial targets. I suggest Mecca, Medina, and the 'Tomb of Elijah.' If that doesn't work, then move on to some secondary targets.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Ted: Not a bad idea, but I think I disagree with some of your initial targets. I suggest Mecca, Medina, and the 'Tomb of Elijah.' If that doesn't work, then move on to some secondary targets.

Hmm....I forgot about the Tomb. Good catch! :noidea:

t.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

In all this torture debate I think a presupposition has been let on by - why is torture necessarily wrong?

Now, before anyone comes up with the knee-jerk response of, "Oh you horrible human" or "how can it NOT be wrong" or some other emotional outburst, would it not be better to think it through?

If torturing one individual will lead to the capture of twenty who wanted to kill thousands...is it necessarily wrong?