IGNORED

nice board. Introduction

Guest foxjoe

kabowd said: Faith has reasons... You start off with a nonsensical sentance kabowd. Faith is belief without Reason (by definition). Not to start kicking you right out of the starting gate, but I seek truth, not Faith. Truth has to resolve into God for God to be truth, doesn't that make sense?

--who cares about knowing how to properly interpret Scripture anymore?

defind properly interpret? Are you saying that the written word of God, the Bible needs interpretation since most of it doesn't have good moral values as it is currently? That is a copout. Almost as if you need a priest to interpret your life for you.

--What we need are more believers who are great thinkers,

Here you speak somewhat about my wife. Before I married her, she divorced her husband who was an Orthodox Priest. She has gotten me to think about these things and has a mind quicker than mine even comes close to being. Yea, I am a humble man to admit a girl has a better mind than I. She was raised Catholic, and currently doesn't hold the faith in high regard. I put it to you that maybe if you actually become smart, and are able to think that maybe that alone will "block blind Faith" which is what it is seeming like the Christian faith is becoming. At least in my mind.

I would think that I am a pretty decent and honest person. And great thinkers like the people who built this country (jefferson, Paine) or great scientist like Hawking and Einstein are NOT Christians. I don't know of one Christian thinker that is famous that actually did something to cause greatness. Mostly know the ones that caused destruction. Enlighten me please.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't know of one Christian thinker that is famous that actually did something to cause greatness. Mostly know the ones that caused destruction. Enlighten me please.

Here is one for you -

Dr Paul Wilson Brand

I have examined the Bible with what peole have said of it.

Speaking of Job. Did you know there is evidence that the book of Job was written before Genesis?

Good men of the Bible you mean like Joshua: Good old Joshua didn't rest until 'they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox and sheep and ass with the edge of the sword' (Joshua 6:21).

The book of Numbers tells how God incited Moses to attack the Midianites. His aremy slayed all the men, but they didn't kill all the women and children. HIs soldiers held merciful restraint that infuriated Moses and he gave orders that all the boys should be killed and all the women children keep alive for yourselves (Numbers 31:18) so it is assumed that the soldiers became pedifiles and did all the little girls. A Christian hymn:

Christian, dost thou see them

On the holy ground?

How the truppos of Midian

Prowl and prowl around?

Christian, up and smite them,

Counting gain but loss;

Smite them by the merit

Of the holy cross.

I have read these, even though my comprehension and memory of reading these years ago several time have been tempered.

--- continueing

Lets look at the story of David. I mean if I had a son that raped his half Sister, I would have beat him silly. If David as a great man of what you account as great men, its a poor example.

The only place I know in the Bible where any sensitivity is shown to the victim of rape is in the story of David's son Amnon who raped his half sister Tamar and then rejected her. The writer of this story describes her immediate grief in some detail, Her brother Absalom revenged her rape by killing Amnon. As Gerald Larue has described it: "The death of Amnon put the Israelite justice in balance, so to speak, but the pain experienced by the women was not considered worthy of further record."

And speaking of David, he sounds like a Mormon more than he would a Christian. Multiple wives, Rich, probably never gave a dime to the poor.

READ II Samual:

Two isolated fragments of Davidic history comprise Chapter 8. The first summarizes David's military campaigns (8:2-14): he subdues Moabites, Edomites and Ammonites, making these areas subject states controlled by garrisons. Despite the absence of references to the conquest of other Canaanite city-states such as Jerusalem, it can be safely assumed that they were brought under control, for it is quite clear that David intended to develop a kingdom free of conflicting elements. The second historical note lists the officials of David's court (8:15-18). Joab was commander-in-chief of the army, but a certain Benaiah is said to have been in charge of the mercenaries made up of Cretans (Cherethites) and Philistines (Pelethites). In addition to a court recorder and a secretary, two priests are named, and David's sons are also said to be priests. A similar list of officials is given in II Sam. 20:23-26 with the role of chief of forced labor added, implying that David initiated the corv

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Have you ever made the attempt to know God?

Speaking of Job. Did you know there is evidence that the book of Job was written before Genesis?

Yes. Been there, done that....

Good men of the Bible you mean like Joshua: ....

I guess you hate the book of Revelation, too, huh?

Believe that God is a cruel taskmaster for punishing evil?

:emot-hug:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Good men of the Bible you mean like Joshua: Good old Joshua didn't rest until 'they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox and sheep and ass with the edge of the sword' (Joshua 6:21).

The book of Numbers tells how God incited Moses to attack the Midianites. His aremy slayed all the men, but they didn't kill all the women and children. HIs soldiers held merciful restraint that infuriated Moses and he gave orders that all the boys should be killed and all the women children keep alive for yourselves (Numbers 31:18) so it is assumed that the soldiers became pedifiles and did all the little girls. A Christian hymn:

Christian, dost thou see them

On the holy ground?

How the truppos of Midian

Prowl and prowl around?

Christian, up and smite them,

Counting gain but loss;

Smite them by the merit

Of the holy cross.

I have read these, even though my comprehension and memory of reading these years ago several time have been tempered.

--- continueing

So....what's your point?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Lets look at the story of David. I mean if I had a son that raped his half Sister, I would have beat him silly. If David as a great man of what you account as great men, its a poor example.

The only place I know in the Bible where any sensitivity is shown to the victim of rape is in the story of David's son Amnon who raped his half sister Tamar and then rejected her. The writer of this story describes her immediate grief in some detail, Her brother Absalom revenged her rape by killing Amnon. As Gerald Larue has described it: "The death of Amnon put the Israelite justice in balance, so to speak, but the pain experienced by the women was not considered worthy of further record."

And speaking of David, he sounds like a Mormon more than he would a Christian. Multiple wives, Rich, probably never gave a dime to the poor.

READ II Samual:

Two isolated fragments of Davidic history comprise Chapter 8. The first summarizes David's military campaigns (8:2-14): he subdues Moabites, Edomites and Ammonites, making these areas subject states controlled by garrisons. Despite the absence of references to the conquest of other Canaanite city-states such as Jerusalem, it can be safely assumed that they were brought under control, for it is quite clear that David intended to develop a kingdom free of conflicting elements. The second historical note lists the officials of David's court (8:15-18). Joab was commander-in-chief of the army, but a certain Benaiah is said to have been in charge of the mercenaries made up of Cretans (Cherethites) and Philistines (Pelethites). In addition to a court recorder and a secretary, two priests are named, and David's sons are also said to be priests. A similar list of officials is given in II Sam. 20:23-26 with the role of chief of forced labor added, implying that David initiated the corv